SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire cupping on my 15 Accord
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire cupping on my 15 Accord Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
My 15 Accord has 16k miles on it and has developed a thrum at speed. I had the car in for the battery recall at Honda of Spring and had them check into it. They evaluated it and said the inner tread on the tires is cupped which is causing the noise and all need replacing. They said most likely cause is the car needing an alignment (although they did not check the current alignment). I've done rotations at 6k and 12k so lack of rotation shouldn't be the cause, nor has the car been wrecked or hit any curbs that I can remember.

I've never seen a car have that type of wear with that low mileage... There is anecdotal reports of those years having alignment issues and causing this type of wear since rear camber can't be adjusted without an aftermarket kit.

I haven't had a chance to take it to another shop to get the alignment checked, and I don't think the dealership was keen to do it under warranty as they claim alignment issues aren't uncommon for the age of the car despite the low miles...

What sayeth the car gurus here? I'm less than amused at the prospect of replacing tires after only 16k miles... and would be even less so if i check the alignment and it is ok and the car continues to wear tires like this. Never had this issue on my 94 Accord or 08 Civic...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
16K on the tires I would think the alignment issue has been going for a good part of those tires life maybe from the beginning. I would push the dealer to check and fix the ailment and then deal with tires and who is responsible.

Alignment can be messed up by hitting things so the dealer may try and push that issue. If this is a reported issue I would point that out to the dealer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cupping is a toe issue.

If the alignment is out by a good amount, it will shred tires in no time.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
16K on the tires I would think the alignment issue has been going for a good part of those tires life maybe from the beginning. I would push the dealer to check and fix the ailment and then deal with tires and who is responsible.

Alignment can be messed up by hitting things so the dealer may try and push that issue. If this is a reported issue I would point that out to the dealer.

After I left yesterday it did occur to me that the factory alignment could've been off. Of course we have our fair share of rough roads here...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I had a set of high dollar Pirelli run flats do that on a BMW. Turns out the BMW spec is such for handling and not for tire life. I had the tech set the toe in just slightly for maximum tire life and got about 30K out of the next set.

That said I would think Hondas wouldn't be set up purposefully like BMWs. I would insist the dealer check it if under warranty. They are supposed to have the car up to spec when they sell it to you.

I bought a Toyota at an out of town dealer, drove it home, it felt funny on the highway. Took it to a tire shop and sure enough the alignment was out of spec. Had them align it and Toyota footed the bill.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about Honda, but many companies won’t help you on certain things after 12 months or 12,000 miles. Good luck.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We rarely see Hondas with a tire wear issue come into our tire shop. I am guessing it is something particular to your car.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This was a common problem on the 2008-2010 Accords. Toe was set for better handling and not better tire wear from the factory. I believe they had service bulletins. If it’s still under warranty, have the dealer fix it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Supersig357
posted Hide Post
2015 Accord Sport here. I had my rear tires replaced because of a factory alignment issue at 9,000 miles. I’m at 35,999 now and my rear camber is out of spec. I need the stupid aftermarket kit, and Honda isn’t covering it under warranty. The car is great otherwise, and it’s my second of three new Honda’s in a row. I’m not pleased.

Posts: 410 | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supersig357:
2015 Accord Sport here. I had my rear tires replaced because of a factory alignment issue at 9,000 miles. I’m at 35,999 now and my rear camber is out of spec. I need the stupid aftermarket kit, and Honda isn’t covering it under warranty. The car is great otherwise, and it’s my second of three new Honda’s in a row. I’m not pleased.

:/ That is what I'm concerned I will find.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Honda has gotten the last of our business due to their crappy corporate warranty policy on our last Honda vehicle.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It does sound like an issue of sorts. What brand and type of tires are they? I agree, 16k miles is very soon. Many new vehicles have crummy tires on them OEM. I’m often happy to go with better tires.

Another option is to go to a trusted shop and get an evaluation, then take that info back to Honda.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Tires are the original Bridgestone Potenza RE97as. Not the best tire out there, but certainly not the worst.

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The Continentals on my TOYOTA were bad at 14,000 miles. The dealer replaced them under warranty. I had rotated them, but it was just lousy tires.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Some Honda models have non adjustable rear suspension. The rear tires wear uneven because the camber is set to far off from the factory. Without being able to adjust correctly when doing an alignment the rear tires will wear unevenly. There is an after market kit available that will help.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post