SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is ID.me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is ID.me? Login/Join 
posted
In the phone upgrade thread Vanwal mentioned a veteran discount at the Apple store. When I followed the link, it opened with verify your identity using Id.me.

Never heard of it. Is it secure?

Posts: 776 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
It's legit

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
The VA and many others use it to verify you are a veteran. It's good to go.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Yep, legit. I had to go through that to get my Veterans ID card I use for proof of my military service for discounts here and there.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
ID.me could not find me.

It appears that they access digitized records, keyed to your SSN.

I served a long time ago, I enlisted 65 years ago.

My records are probably microfilmed images of the paper file, not digitized, and at the time I was in, the Navy used a seven digit service number that had nothing to do with your nine digit social security number, so ID.me is not able to find me.

Aggravating, when dealing with a company that offers veteran discount based on ID.me verification, even though my Driver License does have the Veteran designator, and I have a DD-214.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

My records are probably microfilmed images of the paper file, not digitized

Or, unfortunately, it's not uncommon for military records that old to simply be lost.

Have you ever tried to access your archived military records before?

Posts: 32545 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Or lost in the fire.

On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). The records affected:

Branch Personnel and Period Affected Estimated Loss
Army Personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960 80%
Air Force Personnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964
(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.) 75%

I was told my records were lost, I got out after the fire. A call to my congressman, and about a month later I got a CD in the mail that contained copies of everything they said didn't exist.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FOR Vtail here is a competitior:

https://www.sheerid.com

See what happens and report back.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears they make money by identity marketing. They refer to groups as tribes, which are:
members of the miliary, teachers, Seniors etc. I would imagine you could then design a marketing campaign directed to whatever group you desire. Much better than blind online marketing.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Or, unfortunately, it's not uncommon for military records that old to simply be lost.

Yup. I received an almost readable hard copy that looked like it was printed from a microfilm archive.

ID.me is not able to find a digital record. Apple, and some other merchants that offer veteran discounts, want verification through ID.me. No joy on that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Yup. I received an almost readable hard copy that looked like it was printed from a microfilm archive.

ID.me is not able to find a digital record. Apple, and some other merchants that offer veteran discounts, want verification through ID.me. No joy on that.

I've talked to their customer relations folks on other matters; I would think they could come up with a "work around" with other verifiable documentation you could provide them.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
ID.me could not find me.

It appears that they access digitized records, keyed to your SSN.

My records are probably microfilmed images of the paper file, not digitized, and at the time I was in, the Navy used a seven digit service number that had nothing to do with your nine digit social security number, so ID.me is not able to find me.

Aggravating, when dealing with a company that offers veteran discount based on ID.me verification, even though my Driver License does have the Veteran designator, and I have a DD-214.

I experienced the same thing. I was in the Army in the late sixties and it is a 'no go' on their site. It doesn't help that my records were destroyed in the records depot fire in St. Louis in '73'.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

I've talked to their customer relations folks on other matters; I would think they could come up with a "work around" with other verifiable documentation you could provide them.
Whose customer relations folks? ID.me, or Apple?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

ID.ME. I had to contact them and they got back with me pretty quickly. Since I'm in their system, I can probably get hold of the rep I corresponded with and see if they'll contact you if you'd like me to try.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

ID.ME. I had to contact them and they got back with me pretty quickly. Since I'm in their system, I can probably get hold of the rep I corresponded with and see if they'll contact you if you'd like me to try.
Yes, please do that. You can give her / him the email address in my SIGforum profile. Telephone will not work for me because hearing aids.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים