SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windshield question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield question Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
The rubber gasket surrounding the windshield has come loose. Any particular/specific adhesive needed to reattach safely? Thanks.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
They make a specific sealer for that. Check you local auto parts store.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thought there might be. Thanks.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd just go to the local auto glass shop. Probably cost next to nothing and be done by a pro. Check it out. Good luck to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
If it were me I'd just go to the local auto glass shop. Probably cost next to nothing and be done by a pro. Check it out. Good luck to you.

This is the only thing that makes sense. There's more to it than meets the eye to get it right.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is the only thing that makes sense. There's more to it than meets the eye to get it right.

Jim

Yep just had it done. No charge.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go to an auto glass store and have them secure the windshield properly. The windshield is part of the structural integrity of vehicles nowadays.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
quote:

Jim

What did they do?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had Safelite replace the windshield in my work van last year. When the gasket lifted up, they sent out a guy and he squirted a black sealant into the lifted area, pressed the gasket back down, taped it and told me to take the tape off the next day.

Hasn't lifted back up since!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
quote:

Jim

What did they do?

Lifted up the gasket resealed it and checked for leaks. No problem. Took it to car wash to check it out a week later. No leaks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post