SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I am not privy to dictionary editors' meetings, but I'd guess that this is a change that reflects actual popular usage of the term. Dictionaries are not in the business of saying what words OUGHT to mean, but in recording how they are actually used. That is, they are descriptive, not prescriptive.

Words change meanings in popular use over the years. Dictionaries record those changes, even over the opposition of usage Nazis, or people who want to insist on more technical precision.

Also, note that the "old" definition of assault rifle included semiautomatic weapons, which seems to be the technical error that we would object to most. So that isn't even a change.

I don't think this is part of a conspiracy.
I was going to make a similar comment. Dictionaries document current usage--there have been a number of changes over the years that I've disagreed with, principally in pronunciation, but I've lived with it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

They failed on the count of descriptivism by bowing to incorrect usage by a small population of political activists. It's "assault weapon" the anti-gunners and dominant media have primarily been using, not "assault rifle." The former is a made-up term. The latter is a term coined by the military, and sometimes misused by political activists.

While I don't believe dictionaries are prescriptive, you may well have a point that they are improperly acceding to a vocal minority on this definition.

But perhaps not, as many who are not familiar with guns do think of assault weapons as anything black and scary whether autos or semis, if they even know what that means. Those people aren't distinguishing between an assault weapon and an assault rifle.

However, as I noted, they had previously included semiautos in the definition of assault weapon, so it isn't a change in the first place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

However, as I noted, they had previously included semiautos in the definition of assault weapon, so it isn't a change in the first place.

Not semi-auto. Select-fire.

Looks like a change in the definition to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Go to Wikipedia, look up Assault Rifle, it sites Encyclopedia Britanica, and a few lines down, it attributes the term "Assault Rifle" to Adolf Hitler. How apropos (look it up)

Thank god my kids know everything and I don't need to use Webster's.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Little pieces falling into place. Someday some ignorant lawmaker will use this new definition to prove his point. The ignoramuses that believe him will be validated and action will be taken accordingly. Will it be effective? Who knows, but the room feels smaller.

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Well, since I own a metric ton of assault weapons now, perhaps I should be able to own a select fire rifle without a tax stamp or waiting period; after all, I can drive down to the local gun store and walk out with an “assault weapon” now.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
Go to Wikipedia, look up Assault Rifle, it sites Encyclopedia Britanica, and a few lines down, it attributes the term "Assault Rifle" to Adolf Hitler. How apropos (look it up)

Britanica owns Merriam-Webster.

Funny how little nuanced changes in meaning/definition can influence the larger scope of things and how it is perceived. The libs know full well what this change means and they have done so purposely. They orchestrate little changes like this because they know their effect long term.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:

I believe that to be accurate as it was applied to a weapon I cannot spell the name of, sturm ga something. It had stamped and formed sheet metal parts blended with machined parts. A pretty good rate of fire. I used to think assault weapon was applied to the weapon airbourne troops dropped in with.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The "Sturmgewehr" was the original "assault rifle" (which was a fairly accurate translation), and it was a German invention during WWII. Its characteristics defined what would be the qualifications for subsequent types of assault rifles. It is not accurate to ascribe its development to Adolph Hitler--he actually was against its development and only changed his mind after a demonstration. Fortunately for us, that delayed production enough to make them less effective in the outcome of the war.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I prolly wont ever own a assault rifle but maybe some day I can get me a f'n EBR. I want one of those nasty, tactical black and green bastards with a long fluted .30 caliber fluted tube. Maybe screw on a reversible flash hider/ silencer combo, 3 bayo lugs with side mounted launch cartridge tubes so'z I can fire off my knives. Maybe a M20something gernade launcher on the bottom too. Attach me up a laser range finder, a red dot sight, long range privacy invading scope and ma ACOG too, by golly. Have to double back sticky tape a couple 30 round zytel mags together too. Maybe load up with some multi color tip .308 nasty tracer, AP, super sniper level heart breakin' bullets, by golly. Oh and I'll attach most of my load out, ( learned that term from military jargon), via a bitchin upper with teef all the way down it. It'll be mine! Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm developing an all encompassing explanation for anti gunner assertions: Yes, guns are dangerous. That's the fucking point. That's why the founders blessed us with 2A. I'm going to agree with them that guns are dangerous. Outside of that - fuck em

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not privy to dictionary editors' meetings, but I'd guess that this is a change that reflects actual popular usage of the term. Dictionaries are not in the business of saying what words OUGHT to mean, but in recording how they are actually used. That is, they are descriptive, not prescriptive.

Words change meanings in popular use over the years. Dictionaries record those changes, even over the opposition of usage Nazis, or people who want to insist on more technical precision.

Also, note that the "old" definition of assault rifle included semiautomatic weapons, which seems to be the technical error that we would object to most. So that isn't even a change.

I don't think this is part of a conspiracy.

I think people are upset because it shouldn't matter if someone wants to call a knife a spoon, or if someone says that a very delicious cupcake is "sick". You don't change a definition because of what's popular. I am not a Nazi and neither is the President, no matter how much the current popular usage denotes that I might be, and Merriam-Webster isn't allowed to be an authority on language if they decide the change the language to fit the perceived rising tide of usage.

It's not as if Merriam-Webster folk are fixing anything confusing. They're making things worse, instead of clarifying and everyone knows why.

Something tells me you know this though, despite your post.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post