SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
http://tribunist.com/news/merr...r-parkland-shooting/

"Here’s their revised definition. Assault Rifle: noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

The entry was updated March 31, 2018."

This isn't a time to ignore the many tentacles of the enemy, my friends.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Now here’s a book worthy of burning. Political correctness comes to the dictionary...

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The liberal disease is every where. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As I told a somewhat liberal work contact..."Call it what you want, but it stays in my safe, and always will."

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to know what Custer felt like. This really sucks. When they open my safe after the apocalypse, I hope they don't get triggered.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I can call my cat an icecream scoop, but that doesn't make it true.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Neither Merriam nor Webster make the fucking laws.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This needs a rational response, by numerous people. Their website has a place to contact them.

My thoughts, not clarified yet -

This “redefinition” takes a trusted publication into the political arena and will alienate almost 50% of their customer base.

By not understanding the difference, they are either ignorant or have a political inclination. Either position gives doubt to their credibility as a provider of absolute truth. If they have made one mistake, then there must be others. Result? Now they are no longer to be trusted.

A simple comparison? They are saying Fords and Chevys are the same. While there are many similarities, they are NOT.

Repercussions?

They will lose credibility and business.

They have entered the slime of politics, which will be hard to extract themselves from.

By painting with the “broad brush” the politicians already involved are likely to become encouraged to outlaw or defend their position. Muddying the waters on the subject will strengthen polarization even more.

The civilian AR is not the military M16. Just like a Ford is not a Chevy.

Please, take these thoughts SIG members, elaborate, condense, rethink, reword and make your words be heard. Rewriting dictionaries is not to be taken lightly -

Find “contact us” at the bottom of the page

https://www.merriam-webster.com/

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The liberal disease is every where. Eek

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Now here’s a book worthy of burning. Political correctness comes to the dictionary...

They entered the political arena when Trump was elected. They have been after him from the start. They take shots at any conservative in the news - never say a word about liberals.

https://moneyish.com/ish/10-ti...rolled-donald-trump/

http://time.com/4774687/merria...ump-hillary-clinton/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The liberal playbook: if you're losing, change the rules during the game.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
What was the previous definition?

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You can also let 'em know what you think on their Facebook page and Twitter feed:

Merriam-Webster on Facebook

Merriam-Webster on Twitter

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I sent a polite email asking about other words having incorrect meaning, since they can not get one right, are the rest wrong as well, and I could not trust them anymore as a source.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Good, that means we can carry a belt fed gun, and we are all good.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s their revised definition. Assault Rifle: noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

Isn't that rich - first lesson of defining a word: don't use that same word in your definition of the word.

So...there is an "assault rifle" and then there is also a "military assault rifle"?

And it's still vague - what, exactly, is "intermediate range" in this definition? Or "various"?

Political patsies. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9038 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Jeezus...now even the friggin' dictionary has manifested into Liberal, fake news tripe. Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
From the folks that decided bootylicious is a word. Roll Eyes

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Little pieces falling into place. Someday some ignorant lawmaker will use this new definition to prove his point. The ignoramuses that believe him will be validated and action will be taken accordingly. Will it be effective? Who knows, but the room feels smaller.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post