SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Experienced weight lifters: when do you need a belt?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experienced weight lifters: when do you need a belt? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My physical therapist got me hooked on deadlifts and I’ve been doing them 3 times a week as part of a full body routine to support fat burn. It’s been about 10 weeks now and my current 1 rep max is 435 (failed to get 455 today).

At one point does one need a belt? I am dropping pounds and inches so I’ve been holding out on buying one because I don’t want to spend the money and only use it for a little bit before it is too big.

My form, I’m told, is very good. I’ve had several experiences lifters, certified trainers, and my physical therapist watch: all feedback is good.

The day after a heavy DL I’m typically getting the muscle soreness in my hamstrings, glutes, quads, and traps. Rest of the back feels great.

Any input is great!

The routine is basically this:
- 10 min treadmill
- leg press (1RM around 858, doing short rep sets at about 75% max)
- clean to OH press (haven’t found max yet, did 135 today)
- 7 min treadmill
- bench press, often on a smith (260 1RM)
- deadlifts
- very assited pull-ups

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I never used a belt and don't believe in them. My "belt" is my abs, obliques, erector muscles, etc. A belt in my opinion weakens your core. If I can't do the weight properly without a belt, I don't lift it.

I'm pretty sure not many weight lifters though share this opinion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technically, if your form and pressurization is good...you don't. The belt is just an artificial set of abs. If you are properly bracing the abs while pressurizing and squeezing the glutes and lifting properly, the back is protected.

Great #s! My biggest pull was 450 at 185lbs, I doubt I used a belt, don't remember offhand.

That said, I started using a belt not for the protection, but because a powerlifter mentioned that tensing the abs against the resistance of the belt while DL was the best ab exercise! Made sense to me, extra work on the dear abbies while getting some additional protection just in case.

I also never used any grip aids other than chalk, figured if I can't grip it, then I'm not ready to lift it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I never used a belt and don't believe in them. My "belt" is my abs, obliques, erector muscles, etc. A belt in my opinion weakens your core. If I can't do the weight properly without a belt, I don't lift it.

I'm pretty sure not many weight lifters though share this opinion.

Exactly! Very well put too.

No belts, Brotien Shake.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Blaze is right.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The belt souls only be there to remind the lifter of correct form, not used as a crutch for poor form (or weak abs)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
That’s good to hear. One of the more experienced guys I talk with is pushing a belt and I was kind of feeling what you all are saying, but he was making me second guess myself. He also wants me to buy straps and special shoes (I wear running shoes because of the treadmill and just kick them off and go socks only on the deads)

I think he’s just into gear. I’ve got zero interest in straps. When I started a few months back my hands couldn’t hold 285 for long. For the first few weeks I never felt the deadlifts in my legs. I am surprised at how fast the grip strength has improved. Tonight’s failure was not due to grip.

I’m careful to set up properly, especially north of 300lbs. I get the barbin position and my feet and then take a moment to ensure my back is straight then brace the core and preload the thighs before starting to stand. I don’t want a back injury.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use of a belt is a conflicting subject for many. I used the Starting Strength program when I began lifting and Mark Rippetoe recommends use of the belt only on the last warm-up set and through your working set(s).
The belt is not for protection. It is to assist with the Valsalva maneuver and for me it is reminder to keep good form. When you go heavy, whatever "heavy" is for you, the belt gives you something to push against as a reminder to keep the trunk stiff and avoid injury.

I find that I don't really need a belt on deadlifts but absolutely want it when I squat heavy. Personally, I only use it on working sets. I've had too many injuries due to bad form to not use any tool available to me to help with keeping my form solid and reduce the possibility of injury.

I don't use straps on deadlifts, chalk only. Grip is just as important to train and this an excellent way to do it. I do use weight lifting shoes but I got them to improve my form on squats. I have also attended several of the Starting Strength seminars to have form analyzed and corrected and you can do that via video on their forums as well.

I use a rowing machine for my warmup and then change into my lifting shoes and just leave them on until I am done. The reality is just do what works for you and pay attention to your form. Video yourself and for a check to make sure aren't losing when you get heavy.

Here's a link to an NIH study on the effects of abdominal belts:
NIH Belt Study

I am just an amateur who lifts for fun and to stay in shape. My primary goal is to avoid injury and be as strong as possible while NOT getting injured. After lots of injuries, I got serious on form and whatever tools could or would keep my form so I don't get hurt. So take this info as that of an amateur and the goals I have in mind. Just my 2 cents on the topic of belts and lifting.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Using a belt, is a performance enhancer for the sport of powerlifting, if you know how to brace yourself against it properly, and you buy a real one from Inzer, etc rather than the fashion accessories sold at the local sporting goods shop. (I was a powerlifter for Texas A&M back in the long long ago.)

It is of no benefit outside of competition.

You should really use chalk, or straps. As long as the gym permits chalk, you will be fine.

Buy the "good" chalk... Forgotten the name, but there was a particular brand which had a finer grain to it, and dried the hands better.

No need for weightlfting shoes, but running shoes are too squishy, and a safety hazard. Vibram Five Fingers, Converse All Stars, or Addidas Sambas would all be fine. You need flat soles, and very little give.

Honestly, weightlifting, for most folks, is of little value, unless they want to enter competition/need to rehab. Bodyweight exercises are more than sufficient for most folks.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've deadlifted 495 and never used a belt. From what I have seen it's more of a mental thing with some guys. If you are good without one, don't even worry about it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I use on squats as I lift heavy. Always have and always will.

I always use full fingered gloves in the gym also to protect my hands from calluses. The chalk users in my gym are dirt bags and never clean the shit off, instead leave it there for the next person to clean up after them. I'm not your mom.

I use weightlifting shoes as they have a harder sole also.

Warmup and stretch before and after your workouts.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I competed a little from the early 80's to mid 90's. Back then, and where I worked out, everyone wore a belt basically anytime they were at weight. Of course I did as well. Got so used to it I felt strange without it. Part of the routine. Can't really say for sure if it prevented or caused any injuries. A torn bicep ended my competing, never a back injury. Same as a motorcycle helmet, can't ride without one because I have always worn one. Feel exposed without it.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the opinions to consider. I do appreciate it!

What exactly is the purpose of chalk? I’ve neber seen it being used anywhere I’ve gone, including my current gym, which is more of a family fitness center/tennis club.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

What exactly is the purpose of chalk? I’ve neber seen it being used anywhere I’ve gone, including my current gym, which is more of a family fitness center/tennis club.

Same reason climbers use it, to keep your hands dry so your grip isn't impeded by moisture on the inside of your hands.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I do sweat like you wouldn’t believe.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Cramer is the good chalk brand. Don't let it build up excessively on the bar or your hands.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t really say when you should get a belt or even if you need it. My personal trainer put me onto Best Belts and they really are heads and shoulders above the mass manufactured belts even from Rogue. Very well made, thick yet pliable. They’re custom made for you to your specifications. I don’t personally think they help me lift more but they do remind me to keep good form to avoid injury.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post