SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC brands - Reccomendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC brands - Reccomendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The hole in the coil was created by a BAD FACTORY weld where one of the smaller tubes is welded to the main tube. The Weld failed. What part of reading comprehension did you miss in school???

And you said the INDOOR coil also failed.
Here's your quote, since you might have forgot.
"and at 7 years the coils in the air handler started leaking, so I had the entire unit replaced"

quote:
You can suck an a.c. system at 30 inches of vaccuum ALL DAY LONG and it won't hurt anything. The system is designed to run at least 60 PSI of pressure on the low side and 220 psi on the high side if it's an R22 system and much higher pressures with 410. 30 inches of vaccuum is going to hurt anything, you must be kidding.

Again, if YOU don't know that a micron gauge is required to measure a proper evacuation, you better go get some proper training.

And no where did I say a 30" vacuum was going to hurt the system. I'm saying that isn't good enough, you need a MICRON gauge.

And you're questioning my 'reading comprehension', you better go look in the mirror.

quote:
What exactly are you manufacturing on site??? Duct work???? You're connecting a bunch of store bought components, manufacturing is when you MAKE something from raw materials, not connect ductwork together and run a copper line set and mount stuff. And if it's a package unit, then what, you're hooking up to electric and ductwork and mounting it to a slab.

Manufacturing, you know connecting components to fabricate a HVAC system. You're not simply installing this with a screwdriver and a set of pliers. Well, you might be...

quote:
My buddy MANUFACTURES a/c systems. He builds the entire chiller systems from scratch and then installs them into large megayachts and completes the install (ductwork etc.).

Who (besides you) gives a shit about what your 'buddy' does for a living????
Just what does this have to do with the discussion at hand???? Dick measuring again????

quote:
I have exactly a clue what it takes to purchase a/c equipment. NON dealers can purchase American Standard, but cannot get TRANE.

Oh yes, because you say so... lol

quote:
JUNK btw has no monitary value.

The local scrap yard says otherwise.

quote:
Anyways, you're unbelievable and keep going around in circles.

Just running around pointing out your bullshit.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the indoor coil failed 5 years later. How is one related to each other? 2 years and 7 years. A different a/c tech actually fixed it at the 2 year mark than the person and company that installed it. It was then re-vaccuumed and recharged.....again, I don't see how this is relevant so long as the high side and low side pressures are normal.

You're not manufacturing an a/c system. You are designing and installing an a/c system in a home, ie an installer not a manufacturer. Manufacturing is when you make something out of raw materials and sell it. The link I posted IS a manufacturer, not an installer. They manufacture the units, don't just install units they purchase manufactured by someone else at the local a/c supply house.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, the indoor coil failed 5 years later. How is one related to each other? 2 years and 7 years. A different a/c tech actually fixed it at the 2 year mark than the person and company that installed it. It was then re-vaccuumed and recharged.....again, I don't see how this is relevant so long as the high side and low side pressures are normal.

The fact you don't know, tells it all. See the answer was (No)... was that so hard to post?

Go read up on pulling a proper evacuation with micron gauge. JB Industries has a good write up on it.

quote:
You're not manufacturing an a/c system. You are designing and installing an a/c system in a home, ie an installer not a manufacturer. Manufacturing is when you make something out of raw materials and sell it. The link I posted IS a manufacturer, not an installer. They manufacture the units, don't just install units they purchase manufactured by someone else at the local a/c supply house.

What part of "this isn't plug-n-play equipment" don't you understand?

Most appliances you set them in place and connect the utilities for operation.
With HVAC equipment, not only do you connect the utilities, but you MUST connect several pieces together (choosing the right components) to complete the system. It is manufacturing the end product. Otherwise, a tech wouldn't need all these specialized tools and equipment to achieve an end product.

It's not as simple as connecting part A with part B and so on... with a few hand tools.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Does this look ok....?

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

The fact you don't know, tells it all. See the answer was (No)... was that so hard to post?

Go read up on pulling a proper evacuation with micron gauge. JB Industries has a good write up on it.

quote:

What part of "this isn't plug-n-play equipment" don't you understand?

Most appliances you set them in place and connect the utilities for operation.
With HVAC equipment, not only do you connect the utilities, but you MUST connect several pieces together (choosing the right components) to complete the system. It is manufacturing the end product. Otherwise, a tech wouldn't need all these specialized tools and equipment to achieve an end product.

It's not as simple as connecting part A with part B and so on... with a few hand tools.

I'm quite familiar with what the OP needs done. I'm quite familiar with what needs to be done to install a new system from scratch. You are not manufacturing anything, you are installing a new system in place of an old system. Braising freon lines, connecting power, bolting the unit to a slab, connecting a drain line is installing. Even installing new duct work is installing. Manufacturer is when you take a bunch of various parts and assemble them into something different. You are an installer, Carrier would be a manufacturer. Carrier manufactures the condensor and air handler units. They take a bunch of different parts and assemble them into a machine. Providing there's no major hang ups, 2 techs can install 2 new units in the OPs house in a day, 2 days tops.

Seriously, how many tools do you really need to replace a unit. A vaccuum pump, freon and gauges, a small torch, a hacksaw, a drill, a way to measure the temp of the line set, and a few screw drivers, and a micron gauge which is a relatively new thing......amazing what they did 22 years ago in it's place without one...... You act like home a/c is brain surgery. Even a manual J with a program on the computer is not hard to do these days.

That being said, if the OPs units have lasted 22 years, most everything is probably right with his origional install. You might have to add a register, etc. But I'm willing to bet his duct size is adequate for the unit or he wouldn't have gotten 22 years out of it. You will have to run a new copper line set from the condensor to the air handle to accomodate the larger line set needs of R410A over R22. You could even use the old copper supply line as the return for the 410 usually, but I'd rather just run 2 brand new copper lines from the condensor to the unit. Just because I don't play a/c tech for a living, doesn't mean I know nothing about it or I haven't supervised and/or assisted changing out entire units. Again, this has nothing to do with what the OP has requested.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
jimmy, relax. Take a break.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Not sure who it was here that had major issues with Lennox units? It sounds like there was a major lawsuit over their copper coils getting pinhole leaks after a couple years?

They must have changed that as a result, as my new Lennox central AC system has aluminum-alloy tubing in both the outside condenser unit and in the evaporator coil.

Just thought I'd let you know that Lennox seems to have gotten the message and changed their materials used.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Anything new from the OP?
Hangtime, what did you decide?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post