SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC brands - Reccomendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC brands - Reccomendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Apologize for the slight thread drift, but I am one of the very few that had a home warranty actually work out. We moved in 2013, system was 21 years old at the time. In the past 2 years we have had both the main level package unit replaced, as well as the upstairs AC and upstairs heat. Both times I asked about brand and was told "You can have X, or it will cost you extra". Main level unit is now Payne (Carrier house brand), upstairs AC is Coleman, upstairs heat is Payne. Our all in cost, including the cost of the home warranty for both years and non-covered costs, was roughly $2300 total. That's for all new systems up and down. As my brother said, I should have gone and played the lottery at the same time.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Carrier

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have a Ducane which is under Lennox. Nothing fancy but a great price and reliability so far. The Lennox that came with my house in 96 was still working (very inefficiently) but the gas box in the furnace was starting to rust through. Upgraded from SEER 10 to SEER 14. $4850 total.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had a Trane gas furnace and AC system installed 15 years ago. Knock on wood, but it's never given us a moment's problem, since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
You have to watch out for lennox and York as they will only sell parts to authorized AC companies.

Great units but if you need repairs it can be a pain to find someone.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I bought my house (2008) my buddy who is an HVAC guy came by and looked at it for me. It is a Trane and was less than 1 year old then. He said it was pretty close to top of the line for residential use and they must have spent some good money buying and installing it. I have had no issues with it and it gets well into the 100s in the summertime here usually 80s or 90s. Said buddy did do a cursory wash of my AC fan unit outside once and I change the paper filter on the inside every 90 days or so.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In the land of 24/7 a/c use, a few years back I wanted to replace the 2-sp Lennox that was up to almost 17yrs and started to need computer controlled stuff. I just decided at the time, I had the available funds to completely replace unit and went on the hunt. The company that I've used now for over 10yrs came out for the estimate..I wanted a Trane based on reviews and friends. The representative offered the Goodman variable speed over the more expensive Trane, but left me to decide. Based on his recommendation, I went with the Goodman even though he would have made more on the more expensive Trane. In ten years I've not regretted it. But I do keep up my service contract. It's a must here in Florida as you don't want any problems, especially in the hot, humid, summer months every year.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bryant, it's the off name brand of Carrier, excellent product, your key though as always to a good system is the installer, get good recommendations, and call referrals

Bad installers screw up things more than equipment.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
It's always brand, brand, brand...

<<<Snip, snip, snip>>>

I can't stress this enough, FORGET THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE EQUIPMENT!!!

Find the BEST HVAC GUY!!!

I agree it's the combination, the install, a good installer, and brand.

Better re-read what I posted... before you agree. I said:

"FORGET THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE EQUIPMENT!!!"

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

<<<Snip, snip, snip>>>

There ARE differences in quality between the brands and price points too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:

Listen up, here's what you do, if you want the BEST of the best:

Find the BEST installer, service man, company you can possibly locate.
Make sure they sell, install and service the equipment 24/7 in case of an emergency.
Make sure they do a load calculation 'manual J' to size the equipment to the homes requirements.
Make sure they do a 'manual D' duct calculation to insure the ducting is adequate for the properly sized equipment,
Have them install the brand they sell, install and service. And which they stock parts for in case of an emergency service situation.

Have them address any concerns you have with the existing performance from the current system.

Install a 3-5" thick media filter to protect said equipment.

Make sure the equipment is registered, as most companies will extend their parts warranty if they're registered.

Any equipment which is sized, installed and properly set-up to operate with-in manufacture's specifications will outlast, outperform and provide a more comfortable home, then any other brand which is hacked into place.

The installer is the final assembly guy. This isn't plug-n-play equipment, it's the end of the assembly line. Who do you want tuning your system?

Plus 1000

I work for Carrier on the distribution side, so you know which way I lean, but what excam says is gospel

There have been a handful of really crappy products over the years, but if you stay with well established brands its all about the installer/service

My next system will be a VRF, but that's another whole can of worms

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Bryant, it's the off name brand of Carrier, excellent product, your key though as always to a good system is the installer, get good recommendations, and call referrals

Bad installers screw up things more than equipment.

Bryant is equal to Carrier, with less advertising. Many units are virtually the same.

Payne is the entry level unit

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

<<<Snip, snip, snip>>>

Maybe you'll read it this time...

What's ironic, is that you 'agreed' with facts which you tried to twist, but are now twisting it more in an attempt to argue about it. Roll Eyes

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Listen up, here's what you do, if you want the BEST of the best:

Find the BEST installer, service man, company you can possibly locate.
Make sure they sell, install and service the equipment 24/7 in case of an emergency.
Make sure they do a load calculation 'manual J' to size the equipment to the homes requirements.
Make sure they do a 'manual D' duct calculation to insure the ducting is adequate for the properly sized equipment,
Have them install the brand they sell, install and service. And which they stock parts for in case of an emergency service situation.

Have them address any concerns you have with the existing performance from the current system.

Install a 3-5" thick media filter to protect said equipment.

Make sure the equipment is registered, as most companies will extend their parts warranty if they're registered.

Any equipment which is sized, installed and properly set-up to operate with-in manufacture's specifications will outlast, outperform and provide a more comfortable home, then any other brand which is hacked into place.

The installer is the final assembly guy. This isn't plug-n-play equipment, it's the end of the assembly line. Who do you want tuning your system?

This is excellent advice!
Got two heat pumps and two variable air handlers (combined 15.5 SEER) programmable thermostats, slabs, all new duct work (a major rework), install, etc, for what the Train guy wanted for ONE heat pump/air handler (16 SEER).
Came with a ten year warranty on parts (had to register) and two years on labor.
They even came out and replaced the 4" filters after a year, charging me only for the cost of the filters (it was only a couple bucks more that if I got them at Lowes).

The thing the Train guy never discussed was the duct work and venting that the house originally came with (capacity was totally inadequate and floor returns were placed directly under ceiling supply vents).

FWIW: My summer cooling bills dropped to about 1/3 the cost from when the old equipment was still operational.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

<<<Snip, snip, snip>>>

Maybe you'll read it this time...

What's ironic, is that you 'agreed' with facts which you tried to twist, but are now twisting it more in an attempt to argue about it. Roll Eyes

I agree the HVAC installer and the install itself are both very important to the trouble free longevity of an HVAC unit. BUT the build quality of the unit itself is equally important. YOU are twisting it. It's ALL 3, the point you're trying to make is the brand and price of the unit is meaningless it's just 2 out of 3, and that simply is not true.

Different items cost different prices because the quality of the good is different. The higher priced item usually has higher priced parts and is built to a higher standard and quality control.

I don't care if the very best HVAC guy in the United States installs a RHEEM unit, the unit itself is still a total piece of garbage. I have experience with about 10 different ones that have had premature failures, between various rental properties and friends that have rental properties. If a RHEEM is installed within 7 miles of the ocean it just rots apart in 7 years or less. Goodman for example comes in at a low price point, it's good for it's price point, but definately NOT built to the same standard as Trane and not with the same parts. They're also sold to anyone with an a/c license regardless of how much training or how good they might be.

Whereas TRANE (for example) doesn't sell units to just anyone with a license. They have a strict dealer network that employs strict HVAC repairmen that are trained on every aspect of TRANEs. There is also no issue with warranty issues because of this process and you're getting all 3 components, well trained hvac guy, one that can diagnose the install, and a quality system.

What you're trying to say is a Daewoo or Yugo is just as reliable of a car as a toyota provided you have a good driver and good mechanic, and obviously that is not true.

It's all 3 aspects, the quality of the install, the knowledge of the installer, and the quality of the unit.

ELKABONG wrote this:
"I work for Carrier on the distribution side, so you know which way I lean, but what excam says is gospel

There have been a handful of really crappy products over the years, but if you stay with well established brands its all about the installer/service "

STAY WITH WELL ESTABLISHED BRANDS

posted Hide Post
quote:

Blah, blah, blah...

Knock yourself out Jimmy... you have been proven wrong time and time again, in thread after thread. I don't understand why you quoted my post and say you agree, only to continue to argue, when it's pointed out you twisted the FACTS once again.

Go stand in the corner and get over it already. I mean damn... it's time to GET A CLUE!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Blah, blah, blah...

Knock yourself out Jimmy... you have been proven wrong time and time again, in thread after thread. I don't understand why you quoted my post and say you agree, only to continue to argue, when it's pointed out you twisted the FACTS once again.

Go stand in the corner and get over it already. I mean damn... it's time to GET A CLUE!!

I agreed with you that the install and the tech installing it are very important.

But the quality/brand of the unit is equally important.

To say any brand is fine, they're all the same is total BS. A Goodman is not a Trane in quality.

posted Hide Post
How hard is it to find a competent tech these days?????

Find one and go with what they recommend, PERIOD.

^^ Keep reading it, until you get it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
How hard is it to find a competent tech these days?????

Find one and go with what they recommend, PERIOD.

^^ Keep reading it, until you get it.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a competent tech in any industry!!!!!!!!!

Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how many people argue about equipment that have no actual knowledge about the products. As excam man said find a reliable and competent company. Trane and carrier will cost more because they spend a ton of money on advertising, with no noticeable quality than the other brands. Builders grade equipment will last as long as the flagship name. All distributors are not supposed to sell parts to the public as they are wholesalers and supposed to have licenses dealers backs by not cutting them out of work. Trane will give out as many dealerships as they can signup if you have a storefront. Most have training classes for technicians to go to train on that particular brand.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post