SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC brands - Reccomendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC brands - Reccomendations Login/Join 
posted
Going through replacement of builder grade 22 year old split system. Gas Heat and electric ac. 3.5 ton down 2 ton up.

Is there much difference between Goodman/Carrier/Trane etcc.

Any opinions appreciated.

I can't find a similar thread with search but if you can please post a link. Thanks

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trane for me . I have two units .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an American Standard Heat Pump installed in another property back in 2012. AS is owned by Trane or vice versa. It has done well. But seems like things are changing in HVAC and not sure whats good now.

Seems like warranty are fee based now more than in 2012 not sure.

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
American Standard/Trane are top rated by most everyone.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Goodman and American Standard are both builder grade.

Trane was my choice when I replaced two units a few years ago. I priced Carrier and York and Trane met their price. It was during the recession though.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Hard to stop a Trane

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone will have their favorite brand. Many of the components come from the same few suppliers and are used in many different brands. The most important part of the puzzle is the installation.

You can buy the best most expensive brand you want. And if it is not installed correctly, it will be a big expensive turd. Do your due diligence in finding the most competent installer and you will be good with almost any brand.

Just my 2cents.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I agree, Trane or American Standard for me, depending on what price point you're looking for.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm of the belief that they are good for only a decade or so, why drop a gazillion dollars on the best, highest SEER unit in the world. If you aren't living in the house longer than five years get whatever the cheapest thing is, it won't improve resale value.

I have an AIRTEMP made by Nordyne. Installer (a very good friend) recommended it. Cheap as hell and has a very good warranty that he can do the repairs on and get paid from the manufacturer.

The reality is that the installer will recommend the ones that he gets the best price on from the supply house and that is the easiest for them to do warranty repairs on. Most will install any brand you ask them to though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My present system(s) are janitrol Comfort-maker/Intercity which were cheap and they've made it 22 years. Heat works on both and ac on one. I kept them running over the past 8 yrs I've been in this house by replacing condenser fan motor(1), all capacitors, indoor fan motor (1) as they failed and one igniter.

If I had time quite frankly I'd replace the one bad compressor and keep going but I'm still fully employed and just don't have time.

Plus if a heat exchanger goes it could be deadly and replacements would not be available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hangtime,

posted Hide Post
Appointment in the am with HVAC installer; my mother in law and her contractor, trust who has installed Goodman for upper indoor air unit.

He may also install other brands but will find out during his walk through. I'd like something simple with large coil size but high quality, not multi speed compressor.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

Trane was my choice when I replaced two units a few years ago. I priced Carrier and York and Trane met their price. It was during the recession though.

That's just not entirely true about the builder grade nomenclature although they do as everyone else have a lower end line.
That being said after taking in several other factors we recently got a Trane unit.
I would add that most ALL brands now days are very good and come in multiple models and the most important issue is proper sizing and installation.
It's not JUST a brand.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm of the belief that they are good for only a decade or so, why drop a gazillion dollars on the best, highest SEER unit in the world. If you aren't living in the house longer than five years get whatever the cheapest thing is, it won't improve resale value.

I have an AIRTEMP made by Nordyne. Installer (a very good friend) recommended it. Cheap as hell and has a very good warranty that he can do the repairs on and get paid from the manufacturer.

The reality is that the installer will recommend the ones that he gets the best price on from the supply house and that is the easiest for them to do warranty repairs on. Most will install any brand you ask them to though.

I put a Rheem in one unit in my 4 plex April 2010, NEVER AGAIN. So far Ive replaced the blower motor in the air handler twice and the fan motor once, and I had to pay for the labor all 3 times. I will only buy Trane or American Standard now. Everyone I know has had nothing but issues with Rheems.

posted Hide Post
It's always brand, brand, brand...

Listen up, here's what you do, if you want the BEST of the best:

Find the BEST installer, service man, company you can possibly locate.
Make sure they sell, install and service the equipment 24/7 in case of an emergency.
Make sure they do a load calculation 'manual J' to size the equipment to the homes requirements.
Make sure they do a 'manual D' duct calculation to insure the ducting is adequate for the properly sized equipment,
Have them install the brand they sell, install and service. And which they stock parts for in case of an emergency service situation.

Have them address any concerns you have with the existing performance from the current system.

Install a 3-5" thick media filter to protect said equipment.

Make sure the equipment is registered, as most companies will extend their parts warranty if they're registered.

Any equipment which is sized, installed and properly set-up to operate with-in manufacture's specifications will outlast, outperform and provide a more comfortable home, then any other brand which is hacked into place.

The installer is the final assembly guy. This isn't plug-n-play equipment, it's the end of the assembly line. Who do you want tuning your system?

I can't stress this enough, FORGET THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE EQUIPMENT!!!

Find the BEST HVAC GUY!!!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

If American Standard is 'builder grade' so is Trane, since AM STD owns them.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with "builder grade". I have a "builder grade" Payne heat pump. It sounds like an old dump truck merging on to the highway when its running, but its 21 years old and works wonderfully.

I'm an electrician, but I have a bunch of friends who work in HVAC. They tell me that all systems are essentially the same. That being said, they also tell me that Carrier has been having QC problems lately. Goodman has been recently acquired by a Japanese company called Dikan. From what I understand, this is helping their quality greatly. Trane is a good brand but a bit over priced.

My advice is this: hire a licensed and reputable HVAC contractor to complete the installation. Make them pull a permit and have it inspected by the county or city where you live. Don't worry about buying the most top of the line system. Sometimes the more complex and expensive ones will break more, which is good for the HVAC contractor but bad for you.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trance here, installed in 2006, never has had a problem.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Make sure they sell, install and service the equipment 24/7 in case of an emergency.
Make sure they do a load calculation 'manual J' to size the equipment to the homes requirements.
Make sure they do a 'manual D' duct calculation to insure the ducting is adequate for the properly sized equipment,
Have them install the brand they sell, install and service. And which they stock parts for in case of an emergency service situation.

Have them address any concerns you have with the existing performance from the current system.

Make sure the equipment is registered, as most companies will extend their parts warranty if they're registered.

Any equipment which is sized, installed and properly set-up to operate with-in manufacture's specifications will outlast, outperform and provide a more comfortable home, then any other brand which is hacked into place.

The installer is the final assembly guy. This isn't plug-n-play equipment, it's the end of the assembly line. Who do you want tuning your system?

I agree it's the combination, the install, a good installer, and brand. BUT, I good installer isn't going to install a crappy brand. Like a high performance wheel and tire shop isn't going to sell Cooper tires.

I have a lot of a/c's, a buddy of mine has 7 rental units, my mom had a rheem that lasted 7 years before the entire condensing unit fins disintegrated and started leaking, this was after it already had a compressor replaced. Everyone I know has had nothing but problems with Rheem, this is with multiple a/c installers, including myself. My a.c. guy has within 5 miles of the ocean, they don't last at all. So yes, some total brands are garbage. And some brands do have better quality.

Another thing with Trane is they really limit installers who are allowed to buy and install them and make sure they're well trained. Too many complaints with the installation company and they're gone. So the units are quality and they keep quality control over their dealers and installers.

Whereas a company like Goodman will sell to any installer in town. Generally with anything, a more expensive brand generally is better quality.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Trane all the way.

Goodman is builder grade. I worked in new home construction a few years back and Goodman/Carrier are used a lot with new builders. It's all about price point.

And remember a 20 year unit no matter brand name may not be the same quality today. We've all read threads here about fridges, washers, dryers and ovens that are decade old and still working but the newest same company product is crap.

But with that I will say my parents old neighbors installed two of the biggest Tranes at the time around 30 yrs ago, I cut their grass for years, and a recent visit to home I see that one unit is still out there.

And Excam makes excellent points on the install. Having the right size unit is most important. When I was in building we replaced a few units and ducting due to sizing issues. Home not cooling or heating correctly due to improper ducts and unit sizes. And yes there is a technical process of fitting the proper unit to home. Have that study done.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

When we built this house a couple of years ago, we searched reputable HVAC installation and maintenance companies and interviewed several. We put an Amana system in. The warranty is great, the company we chose to do the installation does install several brands and chose the Amana system based on the recommendations of the installer and the owner of the company.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post