SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Recalls Corolla, Sequoia, Tundra Vehicles With Defective Takata Airbags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Recalls Corolla, Sequoia, Tundra Vehicles With Defective Takata Airbags Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
For Toyota owners.

https://start.att.net/news/rea...ett/category/finance

Toyota Recalls Corolla, Sequoia, Tundra Vehicles With Defective Takata Airbags

Finance 5 Hours Ago
USA TODAY — Nathan Bomey

Toyota is recalling about 65,000 vehicles in the U.S. in the latest round of recalls tied to the deadly Takata airbag defect.

The automaker is recalling certain versions of the 2003-05 Toyota Corolla, 2002-05 Toyota Sequoia, 2003-05 Toyota Tundra and 2002-05 Lexus SC.

Technicians will replace the vehicles' Takata airbag inflators or entire airbag units with new ones made by another supplier.

The latest batch of recalls is part of the largest in U.S. history, affecting 37 million vehicles and virtually all major automakers. Automakers are recalling the affected vehicles in stages to allow for factories to make replacement parts. The most vulnerable vehicles were fixed first.

Takata airbags made with the chemical ammonium nitrate were prone to exploding upon deployment and hurling fiery shrapnel into passengers. At least 23 people worldwide have died in incidents blamed on the defective devices.

The vehicles involved in the latest Toyota recall had already had their airbag inflators replaced once with different Takata-made inflators that were also made with ammonium nitrate, the chemical suspected of causing the issue when it degraded over time. But those inflators will now be replaced with ones made without the chemical.

Vehicle owners will be notified directly if they're affected. Repairs will be free.

Contributing: Associated Press

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We finally got our Pilot airbag replaced.

It's finally such a big deal (it was a PITA to get it scheduled) that they came door to door and fixed it on site.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Phew. No Tacomas.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Takata has caused LOTS of recalls. My daughter's 2009 CRV was affected a few years ago.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My 2009 Corolla is also under the air bag recall. I have half a dozen notices piled on my kitchen table, along with others for the floor mat, the air bag clockspring and the power window master switch (which doesn't apply to my car, having crank windows). I should probably get it done. Razz

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Phew. No Tacomas.
Give it time.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Takata airbags are in EVERYTHING.

Our Mazda was subject to this 2-3 years ago.

Is Takata still even in business??

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phew. No Tacomas.

Here are the 2018 and 19 Tacoma’s

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/...3XK6SOcMIPfQmLztX0b4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
I had the last of my deathbags replaced last week.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Just another reason I'm glad that I bought a 2011 Kia Sorento on top of the 10/100,000 warranty. No recalls. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In addition, 2008+ LC and LX will have a seat belt recall in Feb after they figure out a fix. And Tacoma has a recall for something (not airbag). Ah, found link. Tacoma (2018-19) has master cylinder recall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-land-cruiser-lx570/

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I had my '03 Tundra airbagfrag replaced under recall about a year ago.
Why is this news now?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
Phew. No Tacomas.

Here are the 2018 and 19 Tacoma’s

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/...3XK6SOcMIPfQmLztX0b4

Ha! Mine is a ‘16. That means that I’ll the one to kick off the recall after I get my face frag’d.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who didn't bother to read the linked article, the Tacoma recall has nothing to do with air bags.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
For those who didn't bother to read the linked article, the Tacoma recall has nothing to do with air bags.

This one does, but on older years. Nothing on the Gen 3s yet.

https://www.autotrader.com/car...acoma-pickups-158346

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
We finally got our Pilot airbag replaced.

It's finally such a big deal (it was a PITA to get it scheduled) that they came door to door and fixed it on site.

I finally just got my two Pilots done this week, the last one today. Scott Honda of West Chester, PA were a dream to work with and although one was bought there, neither has ever been back for work. 2005 and 2007...

Posts: 915 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So much for that "Japanese Quality"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
So much for that "Japanese Quality"

Much better than “American quality”.

Btw, Takata sold airbags to Garbage Motors, Ford, and FCA. Wink

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post