SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever impulse bid on Gunbroker and then hope to win AND lose at the same time?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever impulse bid on Gunbroker and then hope to win AND lose at the same time? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I was reading up on the new Wilson/Beretta Centurions last night when I came across one on GB.

I impulse bid on it and now can't decide if I want to win or lose the auction.

Anyone else find themselves doing this from time to time?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
At least once, maybe twice. A .45-70 Marlin and an Air Lite .357. I won both, and am not sorry, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yup. I've bid then decided I wouldn't mind if I lost. I've also bid on an item that had far greater value than the other bids reflected knowing that once a real bid was placed, the rest of the bidders would get serious. I've bid low on an item knowing that I would be outbid only to discover I was the only bidder and winning a super deal. What scares me is that if there's something I really want and I'm bidding against another/others, I want to go too far just to win.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
About 8 years ago a 210 long slide came up for auction on Gun Broker. I knew I could not afford it but just had to play. I thought that once the bidding started that it would take off and I wanted to play just for fun. I put in the min opening bid {there was no reserve} and started watching. After 7 days I was the only bidder. To this day it is the most I have ever paid for a hand gun. I was not happy at the time but now It is my most prized hand gun. Smile I will not talk about the 2 times my partner Jim Beam had me bid on guns but I keep them as a reminder not to drink and bid or post. Wink

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My partner Jim Beam Big Grin

I was in the neighborhood yesterday so I stopped in to Top Gun supply and accidentally bought a M9A3...now I just won this bid!

As it turns out, I’m happy I won it, so I guess it was a good decision! Two 92’s in two days, gotta love that.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Lol I have a few times. Although when I have actually won and finally picked it up, I was happy.

Remember, don't trust a brilliant idea unless it survives the hangover.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Yep, just recently won a Freedom Arms 83 in 454 Casull. I placed my max bid thinking it would go much higher but it didn’t. Had to sell two other guns to pay for it.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
had something like that happen to me on eBay. Placed a lowball max bid on a Canon 400 2.8 IS lens. didn't think I had a chance of winning at all.

Then I had to explain to the then wife what a great deal I got!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
No.

Yes.

I mean, No.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
My partner Jim Beam Big Grin

I was in the neighborhood yesterday so I stopped in to Top Gun supply and accidentally bought a M9A3...now I just won this bid!

As it turns out, I’m happy I won it, so I guess it was a good decision! Two 92’s in two days, gotta love that.

I envy you, if it makes any difference.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sort of. I was reading about the Colt LE901-16S when it was first new and went to GB to check the price. I had instant regret immediately after hitting the bid button. Never so glad to lose in all of my life.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
This is how i ended up with two Bren 10s

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have bought three guns on Gunbroker and each were because it was where I could find them for the best price without waiting forever. That said, I can easily see doing an impulse buy there as there is such a selection. That is one reason I don’t go there unless I am looking for something specific to compare prices.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Yes, and that is all I sayin'. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Yup. I've bid then decided I wouldn't mind if I lost. I've also bid on an item that had far greater value than the other bids reflected knowing that once a real bid was placed, the rest of the bidders would get serious. I've bid low on an item knowing that I would be outbid only to discover I was the only bidder and winning a super deal. What scares me is that if there's something I really want and I'm bidding against another/others, I want to go too far just to win.

This 100%, luckily I have never had anything I just have had to have and been motivated to win at all costs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I just bid 100.00 on a brand new Springfield Professional. That's how serious I am! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, bid on a Winchester 1897 for some reason. the auction ended in the wee hours and I ended up winning it for $185 or so.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It hasn't happened on gunbroker but I've done it a couple of times on ebay. I recently made a low offer on a guitar and instantly regretted it but they accepted the offer. You need at least an hour to sober up and think about what you just did before the offer is binding.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, yeah. I only really got caught up when I was building a near clone of the M16 variant I was issued in the Army, early 90's. Got an old LE Colt lower and A2 carbine upper from the early 90's plus a Colt BCG. There were a few choices and I found possibly better options after entering bids.

The Colt lower has the best GI trigger I have ever felt, it's near perfect.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post