SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non Small Cell Lung Cancer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Small Cell Lung Cancer? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
No advice regarding her diagnosis but I offer my prayers for her.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Rolan,
I don't know how to do anything but pray, but prayer is often enough.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Continued prayers for you both. It sounds like you need more information about genetics. I hope you get good results quickly.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Always in my prayers.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
First off Prayers Sent.

I am a NSS Lung Cancer Survivor Stage 3 A-B Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed Nov 2009.
I went thru concurrent chemo therapy and radiation. Was Cancer free in March of 2009. Then went on a two-year Tarceva pill to prevent reoccurrence. Still kicking and cancer free as of last Scan January this year.

My boss’s wife was diagnosed with NSS Lung Cancer - Adenocarcinoma Stage 4 with stage 1 breast cancer in November 2010. She has been on active Chemo since with no breast cancer and the lung cancer has shrank a bunch and is currently in remission.

Feel free to email me if you want more info or support. I can tell you my battle was hard on my body. I went from 187 lbs. to 159 lbs. and needed a two unit of blood transfusion in the middle of the concurrent chemo and radiation treatment.

Prayers Sent
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
First off Prayers Sent.

I am a NSS Lung Cancer Survivor Stage 3 A-B Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed Nov 2009.
I went thru concurrent chemo therapy and radiation. Was Cancer free in March of 2009. Then went on a two-year Tarceva pill to prevent reoccurrence. Still kicking and cancer free as of last Scan January this year.

My boss’s wife was diagnosed with NSS Lung Cancer - Adenocarcinoma Stage 4 with stage 1 breast cancer in November 2010. She has been on active Chemo since with no breast cancer and the lung cancer has shrank a bunch and is currently in remission.

Feel free to email me if you want more info or support. I can tell you my battle was hard on my body. I went from 187 lbs. to 159 lbs. and needed a two unit of blood transfusion in the middle of the concurrent chemo and radiation treatment.

Prayers Sent
Roy

Thanks Roy. The Palliative care doctor was rather grim about the prognosis; however, we haven't even gotten the DNA Markers back yet.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers, Rolan. God bless!

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Thanks Roy. The Palliative care doctor was rather grim about the prognosis; however, we haven't even gotten the DNA Markers back yet.

When I was getting ready to start treatment my Pulmonologist told the wife and I that it is a hard one to beat.

Also I forgot to add that the Thoracic Surgeon laser cut a piece of the tumor that was blocking a main airway and install a stent in both bronchial airways to hold them open. I could finally breath better. I also had to get over Pneumonia before starting treatment.

More Prayers Sent

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Still keeping Bea as well as you in my thoughts and prayers for both healing as well as strength to carry y'all through this.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Rolan, please know that you and Bea are in my prayers since you let us what was going on. Cancer treatment for F##king cancer has come a long way in the last few years. I had kidney cancer 2 years ago. I was a lucky SOB. I was having a colonoscopy that required MRI. Low and behold doctor that was reading scan saw a large mass on my right kidney. Doctor removed kidney and a rib. My PSA came back and was told everything was Great. Please don't discount the power of prayer. Sorry I rambled on. Your friend, John.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. She is 3/5 done with the radiation. We should get the results of the DNA tests back on the cancer on Friday so that we can start Chemo.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
Yes. My wife was diagnosed with the same cancer and survived three years, after many radiation, chemotherapy and immunotherapy drugs. Sorry for the diagnosis. Be prepared for rough days ahead and DON'T PUT OFF DOING THINGS THAT YOU ENJOY.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK, so here is the update after meeting with the Oncologist.
The Biopsy was “poorly differentiated” This means that the cancer was so aggressive that it didn’t fit easily into a an “box”.
They will send the sample out for “Foundation one” https://www.foundationmedicine...PQQ6KARoCTGYQAvD_BwE

Since it isn’t completely identified yet, they are going to hit it with a mix of traditional chemo, “smart drugs” and Immunotherapy.
Drug Details:
The Chemo will consist of Carboplatin (Trade name: Paraplatin), and Paclitaxel (Taxol),
The “Smart drug” is Bevacizumab (Avastin), this drug cuts blood supply only to the cancer cells.
The Immunotherapy drug will be Atezolizumab (Tecentriq). This drug boosts her immune system to fight the cancer.
Additionally they will give her Denosumab (Xgeva) to help build her bone back and keep the chemo from destroying other bone.
There will be a few other things kicked in like Neulasta after the treatment.

The treatment:
Her blood will be checked prior to each treatment.
Treatments consist of drugs given via IV.
Treatments will take 6-8 hours each time.
Treatments will be every 3 weeks. She’ll follow up with the doctor 1 week after each treatment.
She will get 4-6 rounds of chemo. So say 18 weeks at the worst case.

Next Steps:
It will take 1-2 days to get our insurance onboard with the treatment plan. Some of these drugs are new, and they may have to provide extra documentation.
We are waiting for a call from the outpatient radiology people. We have to go have a “port” installed. This will be used to administer all drugs.
First Chemo is next Wednesday, May 8th

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpadams6:
Yes. My wife was diagnosed with the same cancer and survived three years, after many radiation, chemotherapy and immunotherapy drugs. Sorry for the diagnosis. Be prepared for rough days ahead and DON'T PUT OFF DOING THINGS THAT YOU ENJOY.

Thanks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer