SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non Small Cell Lung Cancer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Small Cell Lung Cancer? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
My wife has just been diagnosed with Stage IV Non Small Cell Lung Cancer.

Does anyone here have experience with this? I'm scared as hell.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
From what I've read the drug, opdivo, that LBJ has been taking has been a big improvement for non-small cell lung cancer since my Mom was diagnosed a dozen years ago. I wish it existed back then.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolan, my wife was diagnosed with the same cancer. It is very serious to be sure. Some of the new, targeted therapies show a great deal of promise. Many of these require the tumor cells to have specific gene mutations that allow them to be used effectively (you may have noticed these stipulations on some of the tv ads). Your oncologist likely already discussed this with you. Feel free to send a personal email. Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Mike

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
My Mother received the same diagnosis last summer. Genetic testing showed she was eligible for the immunotherapy drug Keytruda. To us, this was great news because it meant there was something more than just chemotherapy available. An MRI showed there was no cancer in her brain which was also hopeful. Unfortunately, my Mother's cancer caused something called malignant plueral effusion and ultimately she was never able to begin treatment on Keytruda.

Stage IV lung cancer can be treated. My wife's friend's father is cancer free today after the same diagnosis. Don't give up. I wish you and your wife all the best in the months to come.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Genetic testing showed she was eligible for the immunotherapy drug Keytruda.

Keytruda is approved for NSCLC even if metastatic; but genetic testing can show if eligible for newer, more targeted therapy.

If you don’t have really outstanding oncology therapy where you are, look into MD Anderson in Texas. This referral and Keytruda saved the life of my son’s sister-in-law.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear of your wife’s diagnosis and I will pray for you both.

This disease took my grandfather in the 80s and I now have a sibling with this diagnosis and staging. Very recently diagnosed and is in the process of looking at targeted immunotherapy at Anderson in Houston. Lots of people seem to consider Anderson to be the gold standard for late stage cancers. I would think that reputation alone merits a look. He was told there that a decade ago this diagnosis would have yielded a rather dismal prognosis but with new treatment options they are far more optimistic.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Rolan, I can offer no help with treatments. I can only offer prayers, positive thoughts, and wishes for a miraculous recovery.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theblaze
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis.
My mom had the same diagnosis a year ago but stage 3b.
She had radiation and chemo which worked for a while and then it didn't.
She is now on the immunothreapy drug opdivo and so far it is working. Doc said the tumor in her lung had shrunk "nicely".
There have been a lot of medical advances in this area, find a good cancer center and explore the options.
Hang tough and fight like hell. You're not alone.

Posts: 81 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theblaze:
Hang tough and fight like hell.

I'll echo that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent that there's something in available therapies that works for your wife.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My oldest sister (still in VN), who is 72, was diagnosed with stage IIIA NSCLC in late 2015, after having been misdiagnosed with active TB and was put on multiple TB meds for months. She subsequently had part of her lung removed and then went on traditional chemo. Follow-up surveys show no recurrences. Until late last year, when she started experiencing severe headaches. Yeah, you guess it. It's now in her spine and brain (stage IV). She went on radiation therapy and subsequently was put on daily oral Tarceva (generic is erlotinib). She has been doing ok since.

One of my aunts (dad's sister) also had lung CA 25 years ago, again misdiagnosed for the longest time as asthma. By the time the correct diagnosis was made, she was dead within a week.

I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this. Cancer sucks. Really sucks.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I see folks at the infusion center every 2 weeks.

Lots of people getting are Keytruda for lung cancer but the ones I meet are mostly taking it with radiation treatments as well.

There is a lot of Nivolumab/Opdivo being infused for lung cancer as well.

I am getting Nivolumab/Opdivo for a cancer it was never initially intended for, kidney cancer.

I don't know if this helps but my report of observation at the infusion center.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love and prayers in Jesus' name sent from Wisconsin.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Had my similar experience a few years ago, and I wish both you and your wife the best possible. If you're able to process everything the Dr passes on to you both, great. If not please consider finding an advocate who will assist you both in thinking things through.

It is quite serious. As others have said, the genetic testing allows for some targeted therapy. Much depends on where the cancer is located and where it may have spread to. If you wish you may also write email in profile.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Rolan, I can offer no help with treatments. I can only offer prayers, positive thoughts, and wishes for a miraculous recovery.

Same here.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I send my prayers for you and your family. Lung cancer sucks.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Been praying for you and your wife every day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I’ve been praying for you guys and will continue to do so.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sounds like lots of promising treatment options today. Best wishes on her recovery.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Rolan, you and Bea are in my prayers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post