SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Electronic Rustproofing Opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Electronic Rustproofing Opinions Login/Join 
posted
Is a scam? A local dealership is pushing a system by Zurich that is alleged to prevent rust by constantly running a very low amperage current through the frame. It seems too good to be true.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Cathodic protection

We use it successfully on ships, but I've never heard of it being used on cars.

From the wiki article:

Automobiles

Several companies market electronic devices claiming to mitigate corrosion for automobiles and trucks.[38] Corrosion control professionals find they do not work.[39] There is no peer reviewed scientific testing and validation supporting the use of the devices. In 1996 the FTC ordered David McCready, a person that sold devices claiming to protect cars from corrosion, to pay restitution and banned the names "Rust Buster" and "Rust Evader."[40]

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Those were being touted in the late 90's by third party companies and aimed at new car sales departments, something else to be packed in at the F&I office.

GM takes no position on any add on rust prevention except that if any damage can be attributed to the use of the device or rust control system they will not be responsible. I would imagine all have similar clauses.

Great snake oil in my opinion. I would not waste the time to install one even if I was given one. In fact after not selling most all of them at that dealership the F&I department wrote them off and offered them to anyone in the dealership that wanted one for free. They all ended up in the trash.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Waste of money. Treat your car once a year with Fluid Film.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Cathodic protection

I was going to say the same thing, but add that water heaters also do something similar.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Cathodic protection

I was going to say the same thing, but add that water heaters also do something similar.

Yes, but both ships and water heaters have water running through them or across them and you're preventing electrolysis. Cars don't experience electrolysis as they're not submerged or filled with water, so it is most likely BS on cars.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sounds bogus to me. I wouldn't pay for it.

There are two things that rust out cars: road salt and trapped water.

For road salt, you have to wash the salt off of the underside of the car as soon as possible after driving on salt treated roads. That's not always easy to do. Some car washes have a bottom blaster or you can use the wands at the self-serve places to reach most of it.

Water is often trapped in the bottom of doors when washing the car. After you wash it, make sure you open the doors and dry the bottoms of the doors.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post