SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sell a gift?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sell a gift? Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted
Is it wrong to sell a gift? What if the person got said gift for free? What if you could use the money for other things that you'd want? What if the item isn't really needed?

So my coworker ordered a Fireboard thermometer and it got lost in shipping, so he called the company and they sent another one to him, then the original showed up. We both grill and he figured I needed his second one. I told him that I didn't really need it because I have other things that do the same job. He gave it to me anyways. It's a $250 wifi 6 probe thermometer. I could use that money on the 4Runner.

Wrong to sell it and take the $$$?

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its yours do as you like....

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Great Karma. Thanks for the opportunity. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends has gifted me several things for which he no longer had a need over the past 2-3 years. A couple of them, as I was being gifted, I allowed as how, though I appreciated them, I'd really have no need of them. "That's ok. Keep it, sell it, give it away. Whatever you want." But a couple he gave to me I knew he wanted me to have for me to use and enjoy. I wouldn't even dream of selling those unless I was in dire straits.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sell it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sell it back to Fireboard, who is the one out a thermometer through no fault of their own.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Yeah, sell it back to Fireboard, who is the one out a thermometer through no fault of their own.
He said he tried to return it to them once the original arrived and they said keep it, so he did.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
He said he tried to return it to them once the original arrived and they said keep it, so he did.

Are you reading a different thread than me? Cause I even re-read it, and that was not said.

If it were me, and I didn't need it, I would sell it in the Classified section, right here on SigForum. Good luck with your 4Runner!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
It was a gift to you. You can do with it what you please.

But what if he comes over for grillin' and wonders why you're not using it?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2834 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offer it back to him, tell him you are going to sell it, see what he says

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't think twice about selling it based on the facts.

What do want for it?

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:

Are you reading a different thread than me? Cause I even re-read it, and that was not said.

That's the OP clarifying, so I sit corrected.

Yeah I'd sell it if I'd never use it. That's an awesome rig though!

I found myself in the same exact circumstance with something purchased from AMZN. They just didn't want it back for some reason, even though over $100. I tried via email and call, nope, just keep it. That makes no sense.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post