SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jordan Peterson: Zen Master
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jordan Peterson: Zen Master Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm on the second chapter of the book. I like it a lot; however: I would like to show a 60-90 minute video to my son to see if he "gets" Peterson enough to read the book. My just handing him the book won't do it.

What SINGLE video of Peterson's would best motivate a man not living up to his potential to begin taking Peterson's advice on living?

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on a specific one, but Bite-sized Philosophy has hundreds of short JP video clips you can view and then find one that your son would find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channe...os?disable_polymer=1

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm on the second chapter of the book. I like it a lot; however: I would like to show a 60-90 minute video to my son to see if he "gets" Peterson enough to read the book. My just handing him the book won't do it.

What SINGLE video of Peterson's would best motivate a man not living up to his potential to begin taking Peterson's advice on living?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are there any topics your son is interested in that Peterson has spoken on, such as the transgender dramas, free speech, mass shootings, etc.? What I'm getting at is that you might have better luck getting him interested in Peterson as a public thinker on topics he's already interested in, as opposed to steering him right to the video you think he most needs to see. Lead a horse to water, and all. If he finds him interesting, he may take it from there and ultimately find the stuff you want him to see on his own.

I did post an interview of JP by Russell Brand on pg. 3 of this thread. I don't recall how much into his prescriptions for young men JP gets into during that interview, but it is a really good discussion. You might find it has some stuff that might interest your son.

Also, JP is a member of the "Intellectual Dark Web," which is a handful of public thinkers, many of whom are actually liberals to one extent or another, but they're intellectually honest and have gained a following often because of their willingness to stand up to the left when it comes to matters of free speech, political correctness, intellectual honesty, etc. EDIT: The IDW might also provide a personality that your son would find engaging, thus ultimately exposing him to JP, and just some generally healthy ideas about how to manage your life.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HN-KT9rj0

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There are something like 300 hours of Peterson video on Youtube.

I don’t see him as a motivational speaker. A thinker, to be sure, but not necessarily a direct motivator.

You might be better off looking for someone who uses Peterson’s ideas to generate more interest and motivation.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Does he have a one-hour synopsis of his "12 Rules" book?

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, not a single video, but I have become a huge fan of "The Biblical Series". Keep in mind that Peterson is not "overtly" a Christian and I am not a Christian at all. Still, it is incredibly insightful and inspirational. It is about the archetypical meanings of the Bible, whether they are "literally true" or not.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decent compilation, might fit the bill.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jN1ckK2YBA&t=43s

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Was it just me or was Peterson unusually grumpy tonight, reserved, harsh, etc? Usually he is much more animated from what I’ve seen of his videos.

I wondered if maybe he had a cold or something. That being said, I would guess he enjoys lecturing and engaging in deep discussion a lot more than brief, relatively shallow interviews.

Also, he's been fighting a bit with critics on twitter, and dealing with disruptions at his public appearances. He's in a 24/7 war now, of sorts. I imagine that's incredibly draining, considering the majority of critics and attackers he simply can't reach with reason. To this point he built his career on educating and changing minds without a lot of vocal, ignorant, detractors, I think.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's on a book tour and has probably fielded 693,000 idiotic questions in the last couple of months.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Peterson, but he is not exactly a barrel of mirth, ever, in public formats. I was glad to read in his book that when he is with longtime friends in Alberta they make him laugh so hard he has to duck into another room to breathe.

Christina Hoff Sommers really led the way on the problems of boys in America back in 2001. Her book was The War Against Boys. Shortly before that book, an MD, William Pollack, published Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood. That book was the beginning of the idea of "toxic masculinity," that there is something wrong with the idea of boyhood itself.

In the time since these two books, almost two decades, it has gotten worse and worse for boys. Tucker cited some of the most glaring statistics about high school graduation rates, college attendance, marriage and career advancement, and so on-- including grim statistics about suicide.

I'm glad Peterson has stepped into this fray. He is brilliant, and boys really need defense and-- as he said-- encouragement. Their courage needs to be bolstered.

They are under attack by some very nasty, vile, destructive ideologues.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is he sometimes grumpy ?

Well, I can't speak for Peterson, but ridiculous as it may seem to people like us, he is actually under threat from the authorities in Canada to have his university post removed and his clinical license revoked. He has also been banned from some campuses in the USA after all the arrangements had been made and expenses paid. One or two of these might be amusing and irritating, but I can easily imagine how eventually one could get "grumpy".

A lot of the controversy surrounds the issue that was alluded to in the Peggy Noonan article. I really liked her article, but she indvertently propagated an important falsehood.

She said "Mr. Peterson is called “controversial” because he has been critical, as an academic, of various forms of the rising authoritarianism of the moment—from identity politics to cultural appropriation to white privilege and postmodern feminism. He has refused to address or refer to transgendered people by the pronouns “zhe” and “zher.”

In fact, (and Peterson has repeatedly emphasized this subtle point) he has NOT refused to call transgender people by those pronouns and even said that if one of them asked him to use them he probably would. What he is objecting to is a GOVERNMENT MANDATE (law) that those pronouns MUST be used. Actually using the pronouns to a person who wished them would be a "personal respect" issue; whereas government mandate of the particular speech is a Freedom of Speech issue. Not the same thing at all.

Anyway, I have become a huge Peterson fan; but I think the bizarrity of the situation lies in the fact that there is only one of him, and I felt the need to become a "fan" of someone who simply speaks the common sense truth, derived from the entire history of human existence! But in the modern-liberal bizarro-world, it is controversial.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Probably as good a place as any to talk a little more on Peterson’s appearance on Tucker Carlson’s show last night. If you watched the show, or the video in its entirety, you know that every Wednesday in March, Carlson is focusing on the crisis of “Men in America.” This is a long overdue discussion.

My wife is an aide in a grade school (5th and 6th grade). She comes home every day with stories of boys struggling in school. On medication. Sent to the principal’s office for...being boys. Dealing with other aides on the playground who don’t like the boys playing like boys. It goes on and on.

Peterson uses the word “insidious” to describe the well-entrenched leftist control of education at every level. It’s hurt our boys for a long time and breaking the grip will be difficult, but nothing worthwhile comes easy.

I encourage you to watch every Wednesday this month.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Caught my son (see above) listening to a JP interview tonight, took the opportunity to give a strong recommendation to read (or listen to which is his preference) the whole book. I think he's downloaded it from Audible now.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of Pepe.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Pepe is the master of Kek.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Reeee Wink

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Pepe is the master of Kek.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I've also been turned on to JP in the last few months. I admire the man. And I'm reading and watching more of his work as time permits.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of Pepe...or Alex Jones...or "the alt-Right" at all either....until the Leftist media started whining about them so persistently that I looked them up to see what it was about!

You see, the Left creates boogeymen of racism, hatred, and bigotry to justify their own REAL racism, hatred, and bigotry.
Because it is OK to hate White Christians if they are "racists" ...right ?
It is OK to be bigoted against "bigots"...right?
It is OK to hate a "hater"...right ?

With all this moral superiority they are fully justified in preventing "hate speech", shouting down "bigots", stopping any "neo-nazis" from marching, etc, etc, etc....

Then, if there is any push-back from anyone who wants to exercise their rights, they immediately collapse into "victim" mode.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I did some research on Pepe the Frog and its supposed symbolism. Sounds like even the ADL recognizes that most uses are benign. Further that its appropriation as an alt-right symbol were largely deliberate acts to poke the alt-left. The proverbial tempest in a teacup. Mountain out of molehill....you get the picture Wink