SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jordan Peterson: Zen Master
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jordan Peterson: Zen Master Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Trolling on the highest level. I think it was a reaction to political correctness to show how unbelievably stupid PC is.

Pepe to me seems akin to a meme of Minny Mouse holding a Sig and saying "Guns save Mouse lives" or "An armed Mouse is in the House" or even Heller Kitty

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I did some research on Pepe the Frog and its supposed symbolism. Sounds like even the ADL recognizes that most uses are benign. Further that its appropriation as an alt-right symbol were largely deliberate acts to poke the alt-left. The proverbial tempest in a teacup. Mountain out of molehill....you get the picture Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lkdr1989,

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A change of pace for JP but in the end, as always, a lesson.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64RSiUzgvc

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Dr. Peterson on tonight's Greg Gutfeld Show:

https://youtu.be/KTcbzzxkUr0

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see Prof Peterson on GG; he gave by far the most serious responses I've ever seen on the show.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
lkdr1989: that is one of the best videos I have watched in a long time. It is really profound.

It's the podcast link you originally posted and have taken down.

Here is the youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...e=2964&v=23dArPpXgCM

Peterson never has 3 hours to talk, as he does here. Also, Jocko asks great questions and observations, and also shuts up and lets Peterson talk. It's a long video, but it's absolutely great.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We have a half a dozen tickets to go see him in a couple of weeks. My two sons who are young men now have been listening to him for well over two years now. They turned me onto him about three months ago. I often listen to them while working in the shop.

My youngest son has started to do the self authoring bits from Maps of meaning while my eldest son did a very thorough review of the Maps of Meaning. I believe the lecture we are going to go see is about his new book - the 12 rules for life.

Knowing how many people (albeit mostly young males) who listen to him is quite encouraging.

Again the reach of the Internet exceeds anything we can ever had before well beyond universities, libraries/books, television, … The reach is just truly incredible.

One of the running jokes around the house is trying in a Canadian accent to emulate JP: “I’m nawght doin’ it. I’m just nawght goonnah doo it.” Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just purchased his book it will be hear tomorrow. He is so articulate even my wife's liberal friends agree.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
JP owning another ignorant talking head:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQBkb2zkzo

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just got 2 tickets for his appearance in Upper Darby, PA at the Tower Theater on May 23rd.

Plenty of tickets left starting at $38.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
JP owning another ignorant talking head:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQBkb2zkzo
Outstanding. Mr. Peterson is being more aggressive these days and he is owning these people.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQBkb2zkzo

but, but, but, don't you feel.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Towards the end he's thinking "I'm bored with these dumb fucks. Imma study this pen."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQBkb2zkzo

but, but, but, don't you feel.... Roll Eyes

To quote Dennis Prager

Feelings don't matter, behavior matters.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Looks like JP is going to be 1 of 4 in a debate on PC speech shortly:

https://livestream.com/Munk-Debates/events/8198647
Edit: ARG! Looks like you have to pay to watch, unless anyone sees a way to watch this one for free...

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So a racist, an anti-semite, a comedian and a professor walk into a lecture hall....

It'll probably get posted to Youtube in the next few days, especially since it's JP-related.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Saw Dr Peterson at the Tower Theater last night in Philly.

Fantastic experience. The sold out crowd hung on to his every word. He dropped so many knowledge bombs that I couldn't keep up. I wish I would have brought a note pad with me. I'm still trying to digest the things that he was saying.

He totally eviscerated the liberal media.

He had a question and answer session afterwards where I got to experience his wry sense of humor. Someone asked him, "Why do you sound like Kermit the Frog" He responded, "by saying it's better than Piggy"

He was asked what he thought about Trump, he responded it doesn't matter what he thinks.

Overall, I highly suggest going if he's in your area.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting essay from a leftist who..actually thinks Petterson is onto something while, questioning her own ideological colleagues. The comments are pretty amusing.

Jordan Peterson and the Failure of the Left
quote:
Like most people, I’d never heard of Jordan Peterson until a short time ago. In my case, the first signal of his arrival on the cultural scene was a friend’s series of Facebook posts vividly denouncing him as a reactionary cult-like leader. Seeing a Canadian psychology professor be the subject of such alarm piqued my curiosity. As an American ex-academic, I tend to stereotype Canadians as almost laughably polite, and professors as largely contained in their own hyper-specialized, politically irrelevant bubbles. The vision of a wild-eyed Canadian psych prof with a fanatical alt-right following on YouTube was an intriguing challenge to my priors.

Soon, I found myself going down the Peterson rabbit-hole with countless others. I listened to several of his lectures on reinterpreting Bible stories as archetypical myths. Contradicting my friend’s warnings of hate-filled right-wing propaganda, I found Peterson’s discussions intellectually engaging, personally meaningful, and a refreshing departure from the standard discourse on such issues. I read up on Peterson’s battles over Canadian hate speech legislation and watched his infamous Cathy Newman interview. Here again, I found Peterson’s commentary to be largely thoughtful and thought-provoking. I tuned into his podcast discussions with Sam Harris, and started exploring Harris’s work as well. I even bought and read 12 Rules for Life, and put Maps of Meaning on order at my local public library.

Although my newfound interest in Peterson might seem to put me in good company—he’s selling out 5,000-plus seat lecture halls regularly and 12 Rules for Life is now a #1 bestseller—this isn’t the case at all. On the contrary, it puts me into a pretty isolated, alienated, and uncomfortable position. The reason for this is simple: I’ve always identified strongly with the left-leaning side of the political and cultural spectrum. And, as anyone who’s been following Peterson’s bizarrely rapid rise to fame knows, his growing popularity has been strongly countered by progressive commentators, who keep sounding the alarm against him at increasingly higher volumes.

If you follow the news stream, it seems that virtually every right-thinking left-leaning (pun intended) journalist, blogger, and social media maven agrees: Peterson is an alt-right wolf in professorial sheep’s clothing, a self-serving charlatan who dresses up old-school misogyny, racism, and elitism in faux-intellectual, fascist mystical garb.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief, she's the head of radio at The Economist...so much for any strain of conservative thought there. Her entire listening capacity was picking up on key words and throwing them back at him with her POV. Outclassed.