SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jordan Peterson: Zen Master
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jordan Peterson: Zen Master Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I thought that the video Para posted was kind of encouraging. They all seemed to be actually listening-- which doesn't always happen. For sure they come across as clueless, but bear in mind that they have heard nothing but PC jargon about "empowering women" and "toxic masculinity" their whole lives. His point of view was brand new to them, strange and surprising, but they seemed to be trying to follow and understand his points. That does not often happen.

That was, by the way, one of the most bizarre sets I have ever seen. Like it was designed by somebody tripping on bad mescaline.

And is it only me or are there moments when Peterson has a dead-ringer Hannibal Lecter look in his eyes? Big Grin

He and his wife have been to something like 200 cities in 2018, drawing big crowds at every appearance. He is a one-man counterbalance to the Leftist garbage polluting academia and the media, in particular. I hope his health and energy hold out for many years to come.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/YXayBGrUOKk

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rusbro Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Lol, when I was at Peterson’s Talk a few months back, he acknowledged he sounds like Kermit.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The first time I ever heard him he was on Sam Harris' podcast. It was kind of a disaster, and he came across as a frustrating, little old man, by the sound of his voice. My opinion has, of course, drastically changed since then.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
^^^^ Peterson goes into detail on this exact topic with Rogan as it pertains to the Scandinavians. They really have a hard time understanding what the resistance is to the gender equality policies they've enacted, truly in a bubble.

Would be interesting to hear Peterson's position to the above topic with how Scandinavian's culturally adhere to Law of Jante.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

Used generally in colloquial speech in the Nordic countries as a sociological term to denote a condescending attitude towards individuality and success, the term refers to a mentality that diminishes individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while simultaneously denigrating those who try to stand out as individual achievers.

The Law of Jante (Danish: Janteloven)[note 1] is a code of conduct known in Nordic countries, that portrays doing things out of the ordinary, being overtly personally ambitious, or not conforming, as unworthy and inappropriate.

There are ten rules in the law as defined by Sandemose, all expressive of variations on a single theme and usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: You are not to think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.
The ten rules state:
1. You're not to think you are anything special.
2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
4. You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.
5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
8. You're not to laugh at us.
9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
10. You're not to think you can teach us anything

Interesting.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What I like about Jordan Peterson is how he can stay so calm, and balanced and not raise his voice or start talking hyper fast like Shapiro. He is able to disassemble ridiculous leftist arguments with ZERO emotion, using facts, logic, science and statistics much like Ben but in a more appealing manor. Zen Master is a really good way of putting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Spankin' that ass

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AQjeiUudwOU" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The section on harassment starting around 5:45 in is a home run [in all honestly this whole video was for Peterson] the section about makeup even my wife was like - okay yeah objectively, his point is absolutely true and was something most never even consider - its usually a skirt or blouse, but makeup? He brought his A game [so now my wife can no longer wear makeup - I kid - we work together so yeah cue the music]

Peterson states around 7 minutes in I don't care what people particularly feel about facts - that right there is one of the very reasons why you gotta love this guy and what stickman428 said above is on point to a T - wishing I had a bit of that in me - but I'm a bull in a china shop - or so I been told

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Wow, that last part was powerful.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
From the video; "I’m not suggesting in the least and have never suggested that there’s no domain for social action. I’m suggesting that people who don’t have their own houses in order should be very careful before they go about reorganizing the world."

"I think that generally people have things that are more within their personal purview that are more difficult to deal with and that they’re avoiding and that generally the way they avoid them is by adopting pseudo moralistic stances on large scale social issues so that they look good to their friends and their neighbors."

Nail. Head. Bang!

Edit To Add: I also though I'd point out an exchange with a trans-gendered woman named Catherine McGregor. While she went off on a tangent about the legislation of things Government have mandated one CAN'T say, Jordan's point was that in his case the Government had legislated speech one MUST say. Even so, I was struck at this person's thoughtful (albeit wrong) opinion and how refreshing it was to hear a transgender advocate using polite, reasoned speech when discussing the topic of gender pronouns. Click here if you'd like to take a look.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
She gets snarky and insulting because she knows she is defending an inferior concept against a superior intellect

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29681 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
We know that, but I really don't think that she does. What is so obnoxious about her is that she is passive aggressive and smug throughout.

In other words, I think she is really stupid. The genuine article. Peterson is, as usual, brilliant, but none of it registers on her.

Just look at the still on Para's clip, above. He might as well be talking to a potato.

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You got it. She's not being smug because she's employed observation, experience and logic to arrive at her completely self-assured position. Quite the opposite. It's all about emotion and opinion. Only stupid people are that sure that they are right with nothing to back up their position.

If I were that woman, I wouldn't even be able to view video of that exchange, but then again she's a leftist, so she's far too fucking stupid to be embarrassed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107462 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised programs continue to invite him on. Same with Ben Shapiro. These nitwits all want to pull his pants down in front of their audiences and eventually get tuned up and embarrassed.

Keep on keepin' on, Jordan.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
He does a great job in this verbal combat. With people like this it's hard to declare a winner because they don't submit to common sense or even fact. They'll just continue to "disagree." It's exhausting and contemptible.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That’s a good one.

I can’t believe people will even attempt to argue against his clear logic backed up with facts.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
He is speaking at Liberty University this morning. You can watch it livestream Here (Facebook live stream)

This link 'may' work. I am on campus so it works for me (without a login) but it may not work off campus

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redstone,

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thank you, redstone, for posting the link.

I'll be digesting this for a good part of the day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unsurprisingly, Peterson's book was removed from a national bookseller in New Zealand. Citing 'disturbing material being circulated' as reason for its removal. Roll Eyes

Step-by-step, NZ continues to march towards social-totalitarianism post-Christchurch attack, fulfilling the wishes of the shooter

Posts: 14632 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
This is one one of the most interesting Peterson videos I have ever seen. Like many of us on this board, I was a great fan of Milo, but then I turned against him when he seemed to be endorsing, or at least apologizing for, pedophilia.

What I learned in this video is just how Milo was set up in this "scandal." I won't try to recap it because he is very clear about it, and you really need to hear him out. It was not the left that brought Milo down, but the right acting in concert with the left. Listen to it. It is quite eye opening.

At about the 50 minute mark, Milo talks about the "prestige economy" and he tells Peterson that he, Peterson, is part of it. It's not a compliment, and I expected Peterson to rebut the assertion, but he does not.

Milo is perhaps the most engaging and interesting public character in America-- by which I mean someone who is in the public eye as a commentator on our culture and politics. He is certainly one of the boldest and bravest. His expose in this video alone of the corruption of the Catholic Church-- and the "Lavender Mafia"-- is astonishing. And every word of it rings true. (Yet Milo remains a Catholic.)

I can't recommend this video strongly enough. If you are concerned about what is happening in the political world-- as that world bleeds over into the religious world, the journalistic world, the entertainment world, the academic world-- all I can say is: Watch the video.