SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jordan Peterson: Zen Master
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jordan Peterson: Zen Master Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This is a wonderful video. Very sad that many people dismiss Peterson and what he has to say simply because their "side" has told them to.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5G8Gwr5JJ6Y

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
This is a wonderful video. Very sad that many people dismiss Peterson and what he has to say simply because their "side" has told them to.

Yes on both counts.

Their "side" is the malevolence Jordan is talking about.

Their "side" tells people that they can't do anything without government help and that the government is responsible for all the success of Americans - "You didn't build that".

Their "side" tells people that the greatest "being" is the State and that their loyalty should be to the State, not to themselves, not to their family and friends, but to some faceless bureaucracy.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I learned about Jordan Peterson from this thread that Para opened, since which time I have come to respect him deeply and to value his message and his role almost beyond words.

His wife has been very ill, and I just wanted to share that sad news with those here who value Peterson as I do. She has a very rare form of kidney cancer, and for a while, a few months ago, the prognosis was grim. She had surgery in May, and the good news is that it went very well. Here is Jordan Peterson's description.

From his most recent newsletter, June 4:

I would like to inform all of you who have been including my family and I (particularly my wife, Tammy) in your good wishes and prayers that we received some good news yesterday. She was diagnosed with kidney cancer some months ago but, in theory, of a relatively benign and highly treatable form. She had a partial nephrectromy on March 8, and it appeared to go well. However, a few weeks later, she experienced some severe flank pain that did not seem appropriate for her degree of recovery. She had a CAT scan scheduled, and when we met with the surgeon, he informed us of two terrible facts:
First, that the pathology report derived from the samples from her original surgery indicated not the common tumor that we had been informed about, but a very rare variant with an extraordinary serious prognosis: something akin in its deadliness to pancreatic cancer. Only about a hundred people have been diagnosed with this particular illness, so there is also very little known about it, except for its severity.
Second, that the scan indicated that despite the original surgery, the cancer had spread to an adjoining lymph node, which was growing at a very rapid rate, and was in all probability the cause of her pain.
To say that we were shocked by this combination of news was to say almost nothing at all. We had expected that we were through the worst, and found out, in principle, precisely the opposite. This was for both of us one of the most extreme examples we had ever experienced of the domain of order collapsing into the terrible world of chaos.
She was rescheduled for surgery only two weeks later, and we spent much of that time searching for second opinions and additional information, none of which proved particularly helpful (except that it did help us determine that more extensive surgery was likely the appropriate choice, which at least reduced the uncertainty of our decisions).
I am sharing this very private information because the announcements I had to make about the cancellation of certain of my previously scheduled obligations necessitated a relatively frank public disclosure. The consequence of that has been the remarkable outpouring of public support which I mentioned earlier. And when I say I’m thankful for that, I mean it. The night before her surgery—that would be May 8—we were both pretty much paralyzed with horror. But we talked about all the people all over the world who had sent their regards and their expressions of care, and we discussed the necessity of trying to face this with both courage and hope, and to see if we could make anything good possibly come of it, and it helped. She imagined all the thousands of people who had offered their best wishes and considered that an expression of the genuine good will that it is possible for all of us to express and it played a major role in calming both of us down. By the time of the surgery, the next morning, she was able to discuss what conclusions she had reached, and the surgeon later informed us that the conversation also set a good tone for the medical staff in the surgical chambers.
So thank you very much, all of you.
And, for the good news: yesterday we were informed that the pathology analysis of the inflamed and lymph node adjacent to the kidney that was removed indicated no spread of the cancer. So it appears (in combination with a PET scan that was conducted in San Francisco when we traveled there for medical purposes and to meet with the people at the Prager Summit) that the twin surgeries may have been successful. At minimum, we now have a fighting chance.
And I think that is enough news for now. I did travel this week to speak at an event called Brain Bar in Budapest, but I don’t think it’s the right occasion to say much about that today, except to thank those who invited me, and those who attended. I also posted a discussion I had with Professor Stephen Hicks of Explaining Postmodernism fame on YouTube, which can be seen here.
I’ll catch you up on everything else next week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jorda...condition_good_news/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11105 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks for the update. I heard him comment on her being very ill on a podcast, but didn't know any details. I've also heard recordings of him at a couple of public events where it sounded like he spent a ton of time struggling to fight off breaking down and sobbing. He's an emotional speaker and will get choked up on occasion, but there was a couple of times where I was really wondering what the heck was going on with him.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
he spent a ton of time struggling to fight off breaking down and sobbing.

I noticed that as well. Even apart from his wife's illness, I think he is exhausted from the incredibly busy travel and lecturing schedule he has maintained for the past couple of years, along with many other projects. So now, add in his wife's battle with cancer and it is amazing that he can keep going as he is doing.

I wish him, and his wife, all the best, and hope he can find time to get some rest.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11105 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
https://nypost.com/2019/09/20/...es-cancer-diagnosis/

So sorry to hear about this. The social justice warriors are stepping a little lighter today. Peterson has been very open about his, and his families trouble with depression. He checked himself into a rehab facility is New York City to get off an anti-depressant Clanazepam. Love this man's thought process and lectures. Prayers and good vibes for him and his family. He is a true treasure.

Posts: 7494 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Hes doing the right thing. Its not like he got hooked on smack or oxy, hes trying to ween himself off anti-depressants which is dangerous to just stop cold turkey. This is a medical issue, not an addiction issue- I wish him a speedy recovery.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3439 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
God drugs scare the shit out of me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
God drugs scare the shit out of me.

Indeed. He and his Dr. both knew what he was being prescribed, yet it still got its hooks in him.

Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
For the record, clonazepam isn't an antidepressant; it's an anxiolytic. Antidepressants are not dangerous to stop cold turkey, though some discomfort can be felt. Benzodiazepine withdrawal, on the other hand, can be fatal.

There's far too much misinformation out there regarding antidepressants.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It seems as if Professor Peterson is enduring the trials of Job. Hs daughter is sick, his wife is sick, and he is sick. I'm not talking about drug dependency. The man has a radical diet just to cope day to day. His daughter as well.

Our society needs this man and those like him. I hope he prevails. I think he will.

Posts: 107180 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
That was a video worth watching.
Thank you.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I can never get enough of him. I'm standing up clapping. I find him hilarious as well. Very sharp sense of humor, especially ripping on opponents.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Jordan Peterson's wife gets terminal cancer, Mr. Peterson has a severe reaction to an auto-immune deficiency to food, gets put on benzodiazepine, utter horror ensues.

A video update from his daughter in the article. Prayers for Jordan Peterson.

Rex Murphy: Jordan Peterson's personal torment

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those with a Prime Video account, there is a
video called "The Rise of Jordan Peterson". Its an hour and half long documentary. I didn't see it mentioned on the forum so I thought I'd bring up. It gives you a glimpse into his personal life during the time when he first started addressing the pronoun legislation. It seems a little haphazard, and I don't think it was a well funded project. Kind of like a side project going on during his speech tour.

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This was made by one of JP’s biggest supporters and the artist has even received accolades from JP himself. It’s had a profound impact on how I am raising my four kids and the behavior I convey to my children. The music may not be your cup of tea but the lyrics/ parts of JP he samples are brilliant. It’s quite thought provoking.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/omNdWPeQpwg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21045 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I saw this on my ebuTuoY feed and clicked on it knowing it was good for an hour and a half of Professor Peterson taking questions from a hostile feminist interviewer.

Get well Professor. I miss you greatly.

On to the video.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31346 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
discussion of necessity of having not only the sword but know how to keep it sheathed, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...LX0&feature=youtu.be

In ways rather elementary if one has been involved in similar good/evil discussions over much of their life; still some good concepts in Jordan's own voice and phrases. What makes a 'dangerous man'? The ability to say NO.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you were trying to post this:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSErYhxNLX0

JP

Posts: 2039 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post