SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jordan Peterson: Zen Master
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jordan Peterson: Zen Master Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Some people are claiming that Peterson keeps getting ambushed in interviews like this. I think he knows exactly what he's getting into and he's intentionally doing battle with these leftist media types to reach a wide audience and demonstrate how wrong and foolish they are. He knows what he's saying will resonate with a lot of people who simply haven't been exposed via the media and universities to the level of thought and reason he's offering. It's the Ben Shapiro rule of when to engage, i.e., it's worth it to engage an opponent when there's a big enough audience and you know you can win in the eyes of many of them.

He regularly tweets links to negative articles about himself, too. It seems self destructive, but he knows there are plenty of people who follow him who have a much better understanding of who he is and what he believes; they can spot the ignorance and the BS in the articles, which only reinforces their belief in him being a good man with legitimate concerns about the left's slide away from individual responsibility and liberty and too collectivism.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Here's the full interview Para posted an exceprt from:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QRQjrsFnR4

This is another one where that perfectly demonstrates the kind of leftwing ideologues Peterson is trying to dethrone from there place in Western society. Take a couple of blood-pressure pills before listening:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnbzIkV_5M

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
JBP on behalf of PragerU, on our education systems:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/LquIQisaZFU

Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
JBP on behalf of PragerU, on our education systems:
Link to original video: https://youtu.be/LquIQisaZFU
Spot on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For those who are not able to attend a 12 Rules to Live By lecture by Jordan Peterson, someone has taken the trouble to provode a video of the lecture last month in San Francisco.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3YoOPzwZo

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Wife and I attended the Atlanta event a couple of days ago. We had a great time. We were surprised at the number of women that were there. He did the rules about kids (5&10?)and we laughed our asses off.

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Glad to see Dr. Peterson fighting back.

quote:

'This is a warning': Jordan Peterson launches $1.5M defamation lawsuit against Wilfrid Laurier University

University of Toronto Professor Jordan Peterson has launched a $1.5-million defamation suit against Wilfrid Laurier University, two of its professors and a former gender and equity manager for suggesting he was “analogous to Adolf Hitler.”

The statement of claim, prepared by lawyer Howard Levitt and filed Monday, says Peterson was falsely labelled as incompetent, sexist, misogynist, dangerous and racist in a now infamous disciplinary meeting with Wilfrid Laurier University teaching assistant Lindsay Shepherd.

Shepherd was disciplined during the meeting for showing students a TV clip of Peterson discussing gender-neutral pronouns, something the university later apologized for, but Peterson told the Toronto Sun Wednesday he believes the university failed to properly respond to the incident.
Lindsay Shepherd speaks during a rally in support of freedom of expression at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo on Friday Nov. 24, 2017. (Dave Abel/Postmedia Network)

“So I think this is a warning, let’s say, to other careless administrators and professors who allow their ideological presuppositions to get the best of them to be a bit more careful with what they say and do,” he said.

Peterson’s lawyer said the U of T professor cannot allow a university to viciously slander him, let alone compare his comments to a speech by Hitler, when he has spent his life and career teaching against the evils of the Holocaust and despots.

“The politically correct on campus should not think that they can defame people, slander people and bully people implicitly and explicitly with impunity,” Levitt said. “This isn’t just some internet troll mouthing off in a way that no one pays attention to and doesn’t give any credence to. These are professors and head of gender equity studies making comments that are atrocious about Dr. Peterson who is one of if not Canada’s most prominent intellectual.”

In a statement, Wilfrid Laurier University said it will defend itself vigorously against the legal action.

“Laurier remains committed to intellectual inquiry, critical reflection, scholarly integrity, academic freedom and freedom of expression while striving to be a supportive and inclusive community,” the university statement says

Peterson’s statement of claim, which has not been proven in court, also names Professors Nathan Rambukkana and Herbert Pimlott along with Adria Joel, then the acting manager of gendered violence prevention and support but no longer with the university.

None of the three could be reached for comment.

Last November, Shepherd was ordered to a disciplinary meeting with Rambukkana, Pimlott and Joel after she showed her students a debate that aired on TVOntario featuring Peterson, a psychology professor who had criticized political correctness on university campuses and compelled use of genderless pronouns as an infringement on free speech and academic freedom.

Shepherd was told one of the students had complained she’d created a toxic environment for trans people, although the university later acknowledged there was no formal complaint.

Levitt, who also represents Shepherd in her $3.6-million lawsuit against Wilfrid Laurier University, said the teaching assistant was “castigated to tears” by the “political correctness police” for showing two sides of a debate in a neutral fashion.

Shepherd recorded the hour-long tirade and that audio posted online went viral.

The statement of claim identifies a long list of accusations made against Peterson in the meeting, alleging he helped target trans students and had no credible professional research.

“This has a significant impact on Peterson’s reputation among those with whom he deals, including fellow academics, future and existing students, the university where he works and those whom might read his books of listen to his lectures,” the statement of claim says. “Ironically, Peterson’s academic credentials are dramatically superior to those of either Professors Rambukkana or Pimlott.”

Peterson added, “We’ll see if two lawsuits make the point.”

Peterson is currently on a world speaking tour promoting his bestseller, 12 Rules for Life.

The Shepherd incident is one in a series that has prompted calls, including from Ontario Premier-designate Doug Ford, to tie post-secondary funding to freedom of speech.

http://nationalpost.com/news/p...44-9a79-3f9e116a42d8

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4329 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ Maybe the suit has a chance in Canada. I can't imagine it would in the US.

I'm skeptical JBP really thinks people/organizations should be prosecuted for scurrilous claims made in private. My guess is he's just saying "if y'all mofos want a war over speech, I'll play. Slander me to your students at your own peril."

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ Maybe the suit has a chance in Canada. I can't imagine it would in the US.

I'm skeptical JBP really thinks people/organizations should be prosecuted for scurrilous claims made in private. My guess is he's just saying "if y'all mofos want a war over speech, I'll play. Slander me to your students at your own peril."

It’s a civil suit, no prosecution in the criminal sense.

Slander suits are often unstable, careening off in unpredictable directions. Too, the goal is not always necessarily a large money judgment.

Proving the negative statements is usually pretty easy but opinions are generally OK, there are a variety of partial defenses, privileges due to relationships between speaker and listeners, and of course, truth which is a complete defense.

Often the plaintiff worsens his situation by bringing suit, giving the slander more publicity.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
New, especially good interview.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/v6H2HmKDbZA

You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I love the part @ 52min where JP says essentially "you can't get under the Fundamental Archetypes. and still remain human." And she turns right around says "yeah, but why can't she be an Evil King instead of an Evil Queen?" ... "It seems like your work is about re-asserting difference at time when we are being told everything is the same."

JP's response is so great ... "Well that's just STUPID!"

So Awesome!!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My God! Going to the Aspen Festival and being interviewed by a chickee from the NYT is really taking your battle to the heart of the enemy. The likelihood that J. Pederson has more than a half dozen supporters at Aspen is vanishingly small.

To stay cool under those circumstances, as he did, is superhuman. I cannot imagine why the progressive/liberal establishment keeps trying. It says something about their hubris.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In perusing the web, having viewed and enjoyed quite a few Peterson lectures, I ran across this.

quote:
I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous

It’s a lengthy critique of Dr. Peterson, written by a former colleague and friend, appearing in what I think is a newspaper article.

Link

What do you think?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In perusing the web, having viewed and enjoyed quite a few Peterson lectures, I ran across this.

quote:
I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous

It’s a lengthy critique of Dr. Peterson, written by a former colleague and friend, appearing in what I think is a newspaper article.

Link

What do you think?

The article appears to be all opinion and innuendo with no facts presented to support the critique. While I can appreciate that some folks may be worried that Peterson could go all "L. Ron Hubbard" and start his own version of Scientology, I truthfully can't see it given his apparent (at least to me) underlying message of being what you are. It could be that an old friend is just seeing his colleague drifting away and becoming famous and he is subconsciously rationalizing the loss. Who knows.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Between the author having a serious problem with Peterson’s position on compelled speech about trans people, and then cuasually dropping the nugget about having a “trans daughter” and the following tidbit, I would say I gleaned most what am needed to know about his objections. In fact, I’ll quote the following, which is where I stopped reading:

quote:
He characterized them as left-wing conspiracies rooted in a “murderous” ideology — Marxism. Calling Marxism, a respectable political and philosophical tradition, “murderous” conflates it with the perversion of those ideas in Stalinist Russia and elsewhere where they were. That is like calling Christianity a murderous ideology because of the blood that was shed in its name during the Inquisition, the Crusades and the great wars of Europe. That is ridiculous.

You have to take the thing as a whole. You can’t get mad about someone saying Marxism is murderous when it has historically ended with wholesale slaughter of innocent people. Then it’s the Inquisition, and The Crusades. You’ll forgive me if I couldn’t hang on for the “literally Hitler” I felt coming on in this next paragraph.

In summary, I think it’s a bunch of sobbing panty-wadding from a God Damn Commie.

Edit - Bolded and italicized the part that needed it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
What seems to have triggered Bernard Schiff is that Peterson refused to use "gender neutral" pronouns, or to coddle the transgenders in other ways-- and Schiff's daughter is transgender. That is not hitting close to home, that is hitting home right in the crosshairs.

Later in the article he expresses similar anger at Peterson for not toeing the line on other leftist issues. Overall, it seems he supported Peterson when it looked like Peterson would be a gadfly, an interesting and ultimately harmless irritant in politically correct academia. That should make for some good, collegial sparring, eh! Then it turned out that Peterson morphed from a gadfly to Godzilla-- and he stomped the leftist twits. Mopped the floor with them. Big Grin

No one is perfect, and Peterson sometimes seems to me like he is wound a bit too tight. Some photos of him reminded me of someone...made me vaguely uncomfortable... but I couldn't place who it was.... Then one day I had it: Hannibal Lecter. Big Grin

I learned from Trump to pay much less attention to the personality than to the agenda. If there is a single lesson in the first Trump thread-- something repeated over and over from the "assclown" beginning to the end-- it is that Trump is the man for the job, not even despite his faults, but because of his faults. It is a rude man who responds to his critics with a "Fuck you!" But that is exactly what the PC tyrants needed to hear.

So Peterson has an ego? He has a "mission"? Great. Go get 'em, Jordan! He is brilliant and fearless, and the best thing that has happened to academia in my lifetime.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11105 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Live stream of the Rubin report with Eric Weinstein, Jordan Peterson with Ben Shapiro joining soon.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
What seems to have triggered Bernard Schiff is that Peterson refused to use "gender neutral" pronouns, or to coddle the transgenders in other ways-- and Schiff's daughter is transgender. That is not hitting close to home, that is hitting home right in the crosshairs.

As I understand it he never refused to call anyone by a preferred pronoun, he openly opposed a law which required him to do so (compelled speech). Given all the attention he has received I think it's notable that no transgender person has claimed otherwise.

Posts: 986 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:

As I understand it he never refused to call anyone by a preferred pronoun, he openly opposed a law which required him to do so (compelled speech). Given all the attention he has received I think it's notable that no transgender person has claimed otherwise.

As I understand it, he isn’t opposed to accommodating someone, if he choses to, but refuses to be compelled against his will.

Freedom loving individuals with this attitude of “you can’t make me” cause these problems.

The collective always requires compulsion, no choice or only the allowed choices.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:

As I understand it, he isn’t opposed to accommodating someone, if he choses to, but refuses to be compelled against his will.

Freedom loving individuals with this attitude of “you can’t make me” cause these problems.

The collective always requires compulsion, no choice or only the allowed choices.

Yes, it's government compulsion that he's most vehemently opposed to. In the "Aspen Ideas" video above, during the Q & A session, he said in so many words he'd take each interaction case by case as to whether or not he'd use an out-of-the-ordinary pronoun, based on his assessment of the sincerity of the person making the request.