SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where would I get custom brass pieces made in bulk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where would I get custom brass pieces made in bulk? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Fire helmets used to come with these brass front holders on them to hold the front/shield onto the helmet which tells you which department the firefighter is from.

However the company that makes these helmets has decided to discontinue the brass front holders in favor of a carved eagle. However most people prefer the original for it's tradition and simplicity.

A few helmet refurbishers have bought up the remainder of the stock of these parts and once they use them up there won't be any more coming. One helmet company relies on them due to one of their products being a front holder with the individual's department's name on it.

So, my question is, what would it take to get a metal shop to fabricate these in bulk and what would be the approximate cost?

Below is a look at it not on the helmet.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered a bronze casting die for some custom window decorations (historic restoration work). I used a company called Bronzecraft, which is up in the NE. I know they could probably do something like what you are looking for. They do tend to specialize in high end window and door hardware though.

A 2 cavity die for left-right handed parts ran me about 4k with a 10wk leadtime. My part did have to have a paint grade surface though. Sand casting methods can be a lot cheaper. Just look for a foundry company that does custom castings in the metal of your choice.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I believe that it's only about 12 or 14ga brass sheeting, maybe even thinner. I'm guessing they're stamped rather than cast.

Here's another photo partially showing the underside. It's just folded over.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There are many small machine shops that can do amazing work. There is one in Harlem, Georgia that comes to mind. If you can dream it, they can make it. I've ordered up replacement and custom gun parts and had them in stainless steel in less than two weeks.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Something tells me the cheapest source, if you buy in bulk, is either China or India.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Probably start out as sheet brass, sheared into strips which get run through a die set to blank flat pattern. Off to who knows, more than 1 form die set and holes pierced for rivits. I know nothing of screen printing logos. If you can find the original manufacturer, the dies may still be available. Maybe even for sale. If you are mechanically inclined, you might make a close copy by developing your own blank and form dies. Either run a crude method to make them or have them stamped and formed by your local sheet metal shop.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I would check with a local sheet metal shop.
It does not look very hard to reverse engineer.
As far as the silk screen maybe a local print shop could do some sort of vinyl decal lay over.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Ahh the retro brass saga. So nice of cairns to discontinue one of their hottest selling parts. They are always shooting themselves in the foot. Look at the ridiculous price they are charging for leather helmets these days. Off shore is going to be the cheapest in my opinion. Good luck and let me know if you figure it out I need to pick up a couple.

ETA: nice leather, is it yours?

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Contact the helmet maker and ask if there are any old stock items available and if not, who the original manufacturer of the subassembly was.

Most likely, this piece was subcontracted by the helmet manufacturer.

Or, if the helmet manufacturer would consider a special run.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Good ideal Billy, all of the stock has been purchased by the two companies he mentioned. The manufacture has been pretty tight lipped about the product. Let’s just say that they are not known for stellar customer service.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Http://www.allhandsfire.com/cairns...e-cross-front-holder

Seems to be in stock?

Or, have you already searched before?

Billy.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
That's a different version which is meant for plastic helmets but those have been discontinued as well.

Some of the retailers have limited stock left, however once they sell out they're gone for good.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
what would it take to get a metal shop to fabricate these in bulk and what would be the approximate cost?
I used to buy metal parts for GE in a prior life, and while I'm sure the vendors are long gone, I can tell you that the answer would depend entirely on your definition of bulk.

Couple thousand a week, all identical? One time production, shipped to you all at once and warehoused by you? Four a month, each with different artwork? The most economic production methods (and the vendor) would depend on what you're looking for.

Your costs would be a mix of up-front one-time costs (design, tooling, prototyping, artwork, etc.) and then per-unit costs: production, shipping/freight and maybe import duties, which would vary strongly with volume.

Anyway, what I'd do to get ballpark numbers would be to get a sense of volumes and customization needs, and send a picture/drawing/sketch to some local sheet-metal shops and see what they would suggest. (Also, note whether you need them to supply the rivets.)

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post