SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Supreme Court pick on the way for President Trump?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Supreme Court pick on the way for President Trump? Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ion-this-summer.html

Mere days after Justice Neil Gorsuch was seated on the Supreme Court, restoring the panel to full strength, a top Senate Republican said the court could soon be down a member once again – in turn giving President Trump another big appointment.

“I would expect a resignation this summer,” Sen. Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told Iowa’s Muscatine Journal.

Grassley, R-Iowa, said there was a "rumored" retirement in the offing, though he wouldn't disclose which justice was considering stepping down.

Grassley’s comments echo those made in February by fellow Judiciary Committee member and former Supreme Court litigator Sen. Ted Cruz.

“I think we’ll have another Supreme Court vacancy this summer,” said Cruz, R-Texas. “If that happens, as much as the left is crazy now, they will go full Armageddon meltdown.”

Grassley predicted any new Supreme Court nominee would come from the list of potential justices put forward by Trump before he won the election. Gorsuch also came from that list and, despite bipartisan testimonials in favor of his confirmation, Senate Democrats led a fierce resistance to his seating, ultimately forcing Republicans to change Senate precedent by enacting the so-called “nuclear option.”

Because of that, a Supreme Court nominee would only need 51 votes to be approved to the high court. Republicans currently have 52 seats in the Senate, all but ensuring any GOP-favored nominee would sail through. Gorsuch heard his first arguments as a justice on Monday.

While Justice Kennedy, 80, is oft rumored to be considering retirement, there are several justices whose advanced age could signal a coming retirement. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 84 and Stephen Breyer is 78. If any in that trio were to retire and be replaced by a reliably conservative justice, the court would noticeably lurch rightward. Ginsburg and Breyer are largely considered to be among the court’s more liberal jurists, while Kennedy is known as a “swing vote.”

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why they call them swinging "rightward", I consider it "keeping things constitutional". I don't understand why we don't have an age limit for either party's choice in the s.c.. I am not saying there isn't wisdom with age but when you fall asleep in public at meetings,rallies,etc., it is time to leave.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
but when you fall asleep in public at meetings,rallies,etc., it is time to leave.

Wait, I do that and while I'm kind of old, it has as much to do with boredom as anything. Me thinks you've picked a poor measure.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Probably Kennedy; Ginsburg just won't die.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We all fall asleep for little naps now and then. We're retired and on our own time.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
What, we have to wait for her to wake up this summer before she announces retirement?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
We all fall asleep for little naps now and then. We're retired and on our own time.

Agreed. Sleep on your own time. If you are doing the people's business wake the fuck up.

Think of it as you would a sentry on a sensitive post. If he goes to sleep he has a major problem and maybe a new career. I wonder if there is any more sensitive post than guarding our Constitution. Stay awake or get gone.

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
I'd read late last year Clarence Thomas was hinting retirement. He might want to get while he thinks its safe to leave. But yeah, it seems more likely Kennedy.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
All of the Justices have hired their full complement of 4 clerks for the next term. This would suggest that Kennedy is not planning to retire, as Justices would typically only hire one clerk if they are thinking of retiring.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If any in that trio were to retire and be replaced by a reliably conservative justice, the court would noticeably lurch rightward. Ginsburg and Breyer are largely considered to be among the court’s more liberal jurists, while Kennedy is known as a “swing vote.”

Lurch rightward?
Geez!
Constitutional originalism is simply an understanding that words mean things. The Constitution is a written document. It says what it says.... not what 'progressive' judges want it to say. Scalia understood this. Thomas and Gorsuch understand this.
Somehow... getting back to that understanding is considered a 'lurch'!
Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ion-this-summer.html

“I think we’ll have another Supreme Court vacancy this summer,” said Cruz, R-Texas. “If that happens, as much as the left is crazy now, they will go full Armageddon meltdown.”

Cruz is right about that. They'll be foaming at the mouth, you can count on it.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy watching their meltdown.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I've seen several news reports suggesting Justice Kennedy is signaling retirement because he moved the 5 yesr clerk reunion up and hasn't hired clerks for next term.

Well, that's fake news apparently, because here's a story from back in January that details his clerk hires.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

Oh she dies but just comes back to life occasionally.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

Agreed. Sleep on your own time. If you are doing the people's business wake the fuck up.

Think of it as you would a sentry on a sensitive post. If he goes to sleep he has a major problem and maybe a new career. I wonder if there is any more sensitive post than guarding our Constitution. Stay awake or get gone.

Precisely.

Utterly inexcusable for anyone in her position. She should have resigned the next day.

No one cares and nothing much matters if gramps nods off in the LayZBoy, but this...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

Precisely.

Utterly inexcusable for anyone in her position. She should have resigned the next day.

Did she fall asleep during arguments, or was it some other non-judicial function, like a SOTU, forced to listen to some gas bag passed her bedtime?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't matter if it had been the Intern who helps the Assistant to the Assistant to the Deputy Under Secretary of the Dept of Education that was speaking about Gluten Free choices in the rolls they bake in most public school cafeterias - she was there, as a representative of our government at one of the highest levels, and she feel asleep, in public. I'm sorry, but that's 12miles outside of what's acceptable for a person in that role.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So the old bat nods off. OK, somebody maybe should be shot. Her or the speaker at the time. If it was that boring, who cares.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Ginsbitch should have been gone after her remarks about Trump.

One more conservative on the court would be awesome

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Swing low sweet chariot....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
All of the Justices have hired their full complement of 4 clerks for the next term. This would suggest that Kennedy is not planning to retire, as Justices would typically only hire one clerk if they are thinking of retiring.
I just read today that Kennedy had not interviewed any clerks yet. I gotta go find that article.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post