SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Summer yard projects, shed walls are up!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer yard projects, shed walls are up! Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Edit: Updates on page 2.

I'm looking to buy, or build, a decent sized shed for yard equipment. Riding mower, push mower, trimmer, wheel barrow etc.

I'd rather not pour concrete, but I'll make a pad of some sort so it's stable, probably road base so I can level and keep weeds out. I had thought about putting the shed on concrete blocks designed for that purpose.

I'm thinking a 10x12, maybe with a regular garage door. The Rubbermaid style just don't seem sturdy enough but I don't want to spend half the cost of a good sized shop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a 8 X 10 Suncast this morning from Lowe's. 10% off with the daughter's discount. I'm going with paver base hand compacted and then a layer of concrete pavers leftover from years ago. Shed floor will be bolted to the pavers. So good luck to us Riley, hope it turns out well.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I liked this one as I need to do something similar and need firewood storage.

Check youtube for tons of idea's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wF61DMAB0

I would do a hinge door vs the slider. But otherwise I think I can build this as I am a visual learner and like the way he did his video and looks to be a pretty simplistic build.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You might want to check your local building codes and such, as to what might require pulling a permit. Here in AZ, if it is on concrete (permanent), a permit is necessary. But put it on a good rock base and use 6x6 "skids" as the foundation, and no permit required, as it is theoretically moveable. I have an 8x12, on skids, that was stick built during the building downturn following 2008. An out of work all-around carpenter gave me a good price. He did everything, including the roof and stucco. Sounds like you might need something a bit bigger for the equipment you mentioned. Seems like sheds are never big enough, though.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have access to an Amish built shed, the cost/quality is second to none. I do not personally have one but some family and friends do and they are extremely well built. Here in the NE you can find them pretty easily, but I see your location as west. Not sure if they have communities out there.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned earlier in this thread. You can build a very high quality shed to meet your specific needs way cheaper than a home depot jobie or a prefab deal. That is what I am planning towards late summer or early fall hopefully.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If you buy a kit, pay real close attention to
  • the dimensions of the box vs the dimensions of the shed.
  • the way the roof attaches to the walls

A few years back (I think '08), I bought and kit, and my Dad and I built it. The kit was 6'x8' but the box was only 6'. The "plans" called for toe-nailing two untreated 2x4s to make the base. That's a piss poor base, and if you build a piss poor base whatever you put on it won't last. I rectified it by buying treated eight foot 2x8s and cutting to the right length.

The next thing I encountered was the back wall was "designed" with 1 stud in the center. I rectified by purchasing more 2x4s and adding studs between each corner and the middle. Also gave me more spots to hang stuff once built.

The next thing I encountered was I lived in a hurricane area, and the way the roof was attached to the walls was piss poor. I rectified this by buying Simpson strong ties hurricane straps.

It cost about $200 to fix the kit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    The sheds from Lowes look like they are well designed - I have one, looking at getting another

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks! It looks like I'm at a limit of 200sq/ft before a permit is needed. It also allows for 3' off he property line as opposed to 5'.

A 12x16 or so would work great I think.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Family Handyman has lots of plans on their website to build your own if you're so inclined.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Electrical service,light or outlet for charging batteries?
    The jurisdiction I just left, retired totally and finally from part time, full time, seasonal, or consulting Smile , one trigger was any electrical service! On skids, any size OK no permit, just follow zoning and set back requirements.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    I may put in a solar panel for a battery maintainer but no real electric. That would get into permits etc and then drive me to build a shop and....

I'm trying to decide on a foundation, I'd rather do something like in orc's video with the block corners. Skids are an option but it needs to be snow resistant.

"Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by old rugged cross:
    You can build a very high quality shed to meet your specific needs way cheaper than a home depot jobie or a prefab deal.

I disagree, but you can build a much better shed than you would get otherwise for the same money.

I built one a few years back. Built it to house standards, not "shed standards". I saved all my receipts up until about $1500 at which point I decided I didn't want to know anymore as I wasn't even close to being finished. Big Grin

I need another one but I'm not sure which way too go. I know I don't want all the work. I know I can't afford a pre built wooden one. And I can't afford a pre built plastic one. lmao And there's no way in hell I'm ever building another sheet metal one. Maybe I can keep using the old one for another year. At least one side is out of the ran from the big hole in the roof and the other giant hole is in the back wall, not in the front where anyone can see. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    Well, if you do the comparison it will help you determine what is actually the case.

So how much is say one of these sheds that is about 8x10'. And I mean a real 8x10'. Or better yet. Something actually useable like 8x16' If there is such a thing from one of the big box stores. Are they like $200 or are they like $1800.

Then we can figure it out.

posted Hide Post
    There are Tuff Shed outlets throughout the western US. Check nearby.

Or build your own.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    I'm about set to build myself, but probably won't get far this summer.

Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by old rugged cross:
    Well, if you do the comparison it will help you determine what is actually the case.

So how much is say one of these sheds that is about 8x10'. And I mean a real 8x10'. Or better yet. Something actually useable like 8x16' If there is such a thing from one of the big box stores. Are they like $200 or are they like $1800.

Then we can figure it out.

$200 won't even buy enough cheap T-111 siding for a 8x10 shed here.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    http://www.mybackyardplans.com/gambrelstorageshed.php

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    I'm probably going to build one later this year, as well. But I just finished a big playground and need to save up some funds, plus it is just too hot now.

I am fortunate that I have a big concrete slab already poured where a previous owner may have had a shed. Not really sure what it was, but its about a 10x12 flat concrete pad and will be perfect for a storage/tool shed.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    $200 won't even buy enough cheap T-111 siding for a 8x10 shed here.

$200 won' t buy you much of a building at Lowe or Home depot either.

Build one. Don't buy their junk. I will be a real deal and something to be proud of.