SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just some U.S. Soldiers providing mortar support in Afghanistan
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just some U.S. Soldiers providing mortar support in Afghanistan Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking it to 'em. Much respect for these young men.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some fish in a barrel will fuck you up, if you shoot at them.

Hooah!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link to full screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o65nB1J4sPI

Looked like they were alternating HE and - gasp! - WP.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Damn I hear willie pete going out in there. Thats some nasty shit! Nice job guys! Respect

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Explain please for the mortar dim-witted such as myself...

1. What is HE and WP?
2. How do they know they're hitting anything? Was someone off camera on Coms getting hit results?
3. General comment...those look like some big-ass rounds!! Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

1. What is HE and WP?
2. How do they know they're hitting anything? Was someone off camera on Coms getting hit results?

HE = High Explosive rounds
WP = White Phosphorous rounds

They are close enough to see where they are hitting, and have a direct line of sight to the target (little fuckers aren't hiding behind a big hill or something). Listening to the comments at the end, it sounds like the got shot at the few days prior. They set up on the location that they were taking rounds from.

GET SOME!!!

Watching this, I am reminded that there's 3 family members that always win...
Father Time
Mother Nature
and good old Uncle Sam!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That was pretty awesome. 81 I assume?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Might be 120mm.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, but not 81mm. I spent a couple years in one of those platoons.

Each infantry company had an 81 platoon, 3 guns and crews.

Battalion had a 4.2 inch platoon. We used to compete against the 4.2 guys to see who could get on target the fastest. They got so wrapped in in using range finders, misc. tables of info that we always beat them on target. The only thing they had better was the range they could shoot.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Sorry, but not 81mm. I spent a couple years in one of those platoons.

Each infantry company had an 81 platoon, 3 guns and crews.

Battalion had a 4.2 inch platoon. We used to compete against the 4.2 guys to see who could get on target the fastest. They got so wrapped in in using range finders, misc. tables of info that we always beat them on target. The only thing they had better was the range they could shoot.

Now a light Rifle Company has two 60mm and BN Mortars was 2 120s and 2 81mm and two inserts so that the 120mm could shoot 81mm.

I can't speak to Mech or Stryker mortars.

Elk, look at the cheese charges or lack there of on the out going rounds. It looks like target is pretty close. I didn't spend much time in the mortar pit, you would probably know better.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Don't see too many 120's in the USMC. Hence I was thinking 81.

Big Army got all the cool toys lol.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"One day we started firing mortars, and it didn't quit for four days. We went through every kind of mortar there is. Little bitty stingin' mortars, and big ol' fat mortars, mortars that flew in sideways, and sometimes mortars even seemed to come straight up from underneath."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Some of the most impressive stuff I saw while in the 81 platoon was when we were firing WP into pine forest. They would detonate when they hit the branches on the way down, resulting in wall of burning WP from tree top to the ground.

Each round had several propellant packs. The Fire Direction Center (FDC) would plot ranges, azimuths and charges of propellant. Those excess little packs of propellant would be later collected and burned.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. What is HE and WP?

1 was already answered. For 2, it's likely that they have a 13F (Forward Observer) with them to CFF (Call For Fire) and adjust rounds.

TOF (Time Of Flight) for mortars is usually around 60 seconds.

A general rule that 13 series typically go by is to always use the mortars before artillery. They can adjust fire much quicker and get clearance to fire much quicker using mortars than they can with artillery. Typically the ground commander can authorize fires with mortars but some units will require clearance from higher before allowing artillery to be fired.

Keep in mind that indirect fire is an area weapon and not a point weapon. You would ideally like to "bracket" the target (alternating rounds in front and back while closing in with regards to accuracy) or "walk them in" where the rounds land behind them and progressively land closer and closer to them forcing them to either get hit or move towards your direct fire to be killed.

quote:
Each round had several propellant packs. The Fire Direction Center (FDC) would plot ranges, azimuths and charges of propellant. Those excess little packs of propellant would be later collected and burned.

Elk,

Now we all know that all the FDC does is sit there playing cards, sleeping and smoking... Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What I found amazing, and I'm not a mortar guy, was how they switched the tube around so fast to fire in a different direction. Like "ploof" spin, next! And how some guys were adjusting the T&E on the fly and lobbing more rounds. You can see the training, they all knew how to drop rounds and they all knew to get out of the way. We only had the "small" camera view of the pit but they evidently saw the big picture and adjusted to suit.

Pretty frickin' awesome.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the education, y'all...that's some bad-assery right there!! What do y'all think happened to the guy that got a little hurt? Pinch a finger loading a round? Whatever it was, didn't sound too pleasant. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I found amazing, and I'm not a mortar guy, was how they switched the tube around so fast to fire in a different direction. Like "ploof" spin, next! And how some guys were adjusting the T&E on the fly and lobbing more rounds. You can see the training, they all knew how to drop rounds and they all knew to get out of the way. We only had the "small" camera view of the pit but they evidently saw the big picture and adjusted to suit.

Pretty frickin' awesome.

Most of the weight is on the base plate. Just a bi-pod holds the tube upright. All they lifted was the bi-pod and some of the tube weight. But not much.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the education, y'all...that's some bad-assery right there!! What do y'all think happened to the guy that got a little hurt? Pinch a finger loading a round? Whatever it was, didn't sound too pleasant. Frown

Notice he didn't call a time out or go to his safe space, he stayed in the fight.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Pretty frickin' awesome.

Most of the weight is on the base plate. Just a bi-pod holds the tube upright. All they lifted was the bi-pod and some of the tube weight. But not much.

I don't think it was the weight-lifting that Binky was impressed with. I agree with him: Simply badass that they switched targets that fast with no lull in the damage they were bringing to party. Those boys knew their job. God bless our troops.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Notice he didn't call a time out or go to his safe space, he stayed in the fight.

Bbbbbbut, but... he's a Millenial. Supposedly, we're incapable of such manliness. Eek

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post