SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you encourage family members who want to get a gun ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you encourage family members who want to get a gun ? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with pointing out the responsibility that goes with gun ownership. Nothing wrong suggesting training either. A lot of people have misconceptions about guns from the movies and need to understand the realities.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I found this pretty funny... and it kind of ties in with the OP topic, from the anti-gun perspective:
Big Grin

Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?

Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess! She says it is for emergencies. There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

I’ve given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.

I love my daughter and would be so sad for her to move into a place that she would hardly be able to afford, but now I have to lock my bedroom door at night because I don’t know what she’s going to do.

Now she says that I don’t trust her, and is barely speaking to me. How can I convince her to stop endangering us?

Dumbfounded Father

https://www.omaha.com/livewell...45-74797ebccc2c.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Question: For what Purpose?

Answer: Cause they’re fookin’ cool as shiiiiit!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
There are family members that I would encourage, and some that just have no business owning a gun. I believe your response is correct.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Owning a gun is everybody's right where I live, except for those with felonies, etc. I don't go around telling of those people they can or can't own a gun.
That said, there are some people that I don't feel comfortable being around when they have a gun. Some don't have good safety or basic gun handling skills, some have poor knowledge, or completely wrong knowledge, about the legal use in self defense.
Summed up by an old expression; "the problem isn't what you know, it's what you know that isn't so".
Just like in other aspects of live, I try to pick carefully, who I choose to associate with.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Giving guns, either brand new, or family heirlooms is a long-held tradition in my family. Enough so, that family members who don't own and shoot are considered odd. This is true of both males and females. I was gifted my first firearm by my dad on my 11th birthday, and still have it. I have no kids, but have gifted 21st birthday pistols to nephews and nieces who I thought mature enough to be worthy (and have intentionally not, to those I thought too immature). In at least one instance, I was gratified to learn that my nephew had already taken on the responsibility of arming himself, getting training, etc.

So I guess, the answer to the question in the title of this thread is, "You're darn right I do!"

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
The 2A gives people the right to own guns, period. I would never tell anyone they shouldn't get a gun. However, I know people who should not have a gun. As the old saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I help them understand the responsibility of gun ownership.

This.

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?”

This pendejo must put kerosene around his ankles to keep the ants off his candy ass.

If there’s a reasonable, intelligent friend or family member who wants to learn how to use a gun responsibly and can they legally own one, I have been known to give them a gun and teach them the basics myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted Dumbfounded Father:
Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

https://www.omaha.com/livewell...45-74797ebccc2c.html

quote:
Originally posted Ask Amy:
Dear Dumbfounded: According to my research, possessing hollow-point bullets is illegal in 11 states; is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?

Ehrmagerd... "exploding ammunition." Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
The 2A gives people the right to own guns, period. ...
Rod

Sorry. it's a pet peeve of mine. Our right to self defense and own a firearm is is not "given" to us by the 2A or government.

The 2A is clear - it restricts the government from taking that right from us. I think it's an important distinction.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post