SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you encourage family members who want to get a gun ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you encourage family members who want to get a gun ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Do you encourage family members who want to get a gun ?

If you do, under what circumstances would you 1) go ahead and encourage them, or 2) discourage them ?

I have found myself in this quandary from time to time over the years:

"I think I want to get a gun."

"For what purpose ?"

"I keep hearing about home invasions and people getting mugged killed or raped, and I think I'd like a gun to protect myself"

"Are you interested in guns as a possible sport or hobby ? Would you like to go shooting with me and see what it's like to shoot a couple different types of guns ?"

"Well no, I'd just like to have one in case I need it".

"Well in that case, I'm not so sure I would encourage you to do that if you don't want to learn about guns, practice shooting, and learn about general principles of self defense law and practices in the US."

etc.....

The above is representative of some of the types of conversations I've have with friends, co-workers, and family. It this type of scenario, which I support the 2A including people who want to own a gun just because they are US citizens, I get that and can't argue against that. But for ME to HELP someone regarding guns, I don't want to be connected to someone in this regard who has little or no interest or respect in any of those subjects, let alone no desire to shoot their gun enough to be somewhat competent and safe, or worse, no desire to ever shoot their gun at all unless they need "protect themselves", even though they don't want to learn or even talk about under what circumstances using your firearm in such a circumstance actually means.

On the other hand, if they want to get into guns and/or learn how to shoot and become safe and proficient, and also learn about the principles of general self-defense as it relates to justifiable homicide in the United States, then yea, I'm in, I will most surely help you, as much as you're willing to learn.

What say you ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Well in that case, I'm not so sure I would encourage you to do that if you don't want to learn about guns, practice shooting, and learn about general principles of self defense law and practices in the US."

YES. THIS.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like your response is right.
Guns are a right but also a responsibility.
You should encourage people to take both seriously.
Thanks for doing so.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, you lost me at "For what purpose?" My answer would simply be "great" and that's that. I mean, you're talking to an adult, no? We gun owners can be so pretentious sometimes, and I frankly find it annoying. I would never discourage someone from buying a gun; I would however strongly encourage him or her to get training, etc.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, you lost me at "For what purpose?" My answer would simply be "great" and that's that. I mean, you're talking to an adult, no? We gun owners can be so pretentious sometimes, and I frankly find it annoying. I would never discourage someone from buying a gun, however I would strongly encourage him or her to get training, etc.

Yup. Adult? Legally can own a firearm? Want to get one? By all means, get one. Sure, encourage them to train some, but who the hell am I to discourage them from obtaining one?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one in a way. The 2nd. Amendment doesn't say that we have the right to keep and bear arms but only if we agree to be responsible and undergo the proper training.

I'm pretty sure all of us here on the forum agree that responsibility and proper training are essential to the ownership of firearms. But it really can't be a per-requisite...can it?

Having said all that, I probably would have handled this the same as wrightd did.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friends, acquaintances, and family. have asked me the same thing.
I tell them that the use of a gun to defend yourself in today's society will be a life altering event. It will not be as its depicted on TV or the movies. You must not only prevail during the event, but you must also prevail in the aftermath legally, financially and psychologically. And you must be mentally prepared to take the life of another human being. Then I ask if they are willing do that.
And I tell them to think carefully about it and get back to me.
Most never do. Its not the answer they wanted to hear.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually volunteer to provide assistance and initial training. Several times I have given the gun provided they accept training.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, you lost me at "For what purpose?" My answer would simply be "great" and that's that. I mean, you're talking to an adult, no? We gun owners can be so pretentious sometimes, and I frankly find it annoying. I would never discourage someone from buying a gun; I would however strongly encourage him or her to get training, etc.

I hear ya, and generally agree. But for children or someone I care about on a personal/friendship level, I'm reluctant. But for a stranger just expressing interest in the 2A, hell yea brother. But I won't be around if they hurt themselves or another for incompetence. So for as much as I can I agree with you. That is why I titled the question thread "family members". I don't want my daughter shooting a bad dude from behind her front door if he wasn't breaking down the door, or the like, just because she didn't know the basics of SD principles and law in the US, when she could otherwise may have avoided putting herself behind bars by having some interest in becoming more or less competent with guns and their role in justifiable SD with lethal force. That all. Otherwise I'm 100% 2A for everyone else, more is better because we are free, and if the shtf in a worst case scenario.

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
This has come up recently for me...my sister started asking about getting a gun and wanted to know what I thought. Her intended use of said weapon is for euthanizing animals when the need arises..(she is a wildlife rehabilitator and the need does arise often) not so much for protection as she feels pretty safe in her community...we are talking the sticks of New Hampshire.
I said sure, I’ll help you out and told her to find a place to shoot as I live two states away but don’t mind hauling a few guns up to her place so she can get a feel for different types of weapons...I did suggest for her purposes a .22 would be more than sufficient to meet her needs.
So...she finds a place to shoot...last week I made the ride with a few revolvers, autos and a rifle....all in various calibers but I tried to stay small as she has never shot before. Three hour ride, I arrive and she calls her friend that knows where to shoot...He happens to be a State Game Warden and we end up shooting at his house! Very cool guy...I now have a place to shoot any time I’m up there!
Her favorite one to shoot out of the ones I brought up was my P229....of course, she has good taste like her little brother Big Grin I think it was the fit of the full sized grip in her hand and balance of weapon...she did like the .22 shorts I had her try out of the Buckmark...safer, quieter and certainly sufficient to put an animal down...so, she has some info and basic knowledge now..and is going to be making a decision with my input and the Game Wardens....I was very happy to do it for her and noted that she would need more hands on experience/education on whatever specific weapon she finally goes with which she agreed was a great idea.
So...in this case...yes, I gladly helped.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Not really an issue/possibility with my family.

OTOH I helped a coworker (legally) get his first pistol today.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:

My 73 year old Mom expressed an interest in getting a gun. I dissuaded her from getting one. Training or not. I would worry to much about her. My dad is in his eighties. We go shooting with my son.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
This has come up recently for me...my sister started asking about getting a gun and wanted to know what I thought. Her intended use of said weapon is for euthanizing animals when the need arises..(she is a wildlife rehabilitator and the need does arise often) not so much for protection as she feels pretty safe in her community...we are talking the sticks of New Hampshire.
I said sure, I’ll help you out and told her to find a place to shoot as I live two states away but don’t mind hauling a few guns up to her place so she can get a feel for different types of weapons...I did suggest for her purposes a .22 would be more than sufficient to meet her needs.
So...she finds a place to shoot...last week I made the ride with a few revolvers, autos and a rifle....all in various calibers but I tried to stay small as she has never shot before. Three hour ride, I arrive and she calls her friend that knows where to shoot...He happens to be a State Game Warden and we end up shooting at his house! Very cool guy...I now have a place to shoot any time I’m up there!
Her favorite one to shoot out of the ones I brought up was my P229....of course, she has good taste like her little brother Big Grin I think it was the fit of the full sized grip in her hand and balance of weapon...she did like the .22 shorts I had her try out of the Buckmark...safer, quieter and certainly sufficient to put an animal down...so, she has some info and basic knowledge now..and is going to be making a decision with my input and the Game Wardens....I was very happy to do it for her and noted that she would need more hands on experience/education on whatever specific weapon she finally goes with which she agreed was a great idea.
So...in this case...yes, I gladly helped.

That is a great example of helping out in an favorable situation. My respects to you for putting out the time, effort and expense. God bless your sister.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Not really an issue/possibility with my family.

OTOH I helped a coworker (legally) get his first pistol today.

You just helped make America great again, good on you sir.

posted Hide Post
I bought my mother a S&W mod 66 for a mother’s d present years ago. Would that count as encouragement?

BUT... I also taught her how to shoot.

I can’t in good conscious, encourage someone to own a gun, but not follow it up with the knowledge, responsibility and skill that comes with it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

I hear ya, and generally agree. But for children or someone I care about on a personal/friendship level, I'm reluctant. But for a stranger just expressing interest in the 2A, hell yea brother. But I won't be around if they hurt themselves or another for incompetence. So for as much as I can I agree with you. That is why I titled the question thread "family members". I don't want my daughter shooting a bad dude from behind her front door if he wasn't breaking down the door, or the like, just because she didn't know the basics of SD principles and law in the US, when she could otherwise may have avoided putting herself behind bars by having some interest in becoming more or less competent with guns and their role in justifiable SD with lethal force. That all. Otherwise I'm 100% 2A for everyone else, more is better because we are free, and if the shtf in a worst case scenario.

I see where you're coming from. Yeah, I can appreciate that. When it's family members or loved ones, one certainly wants to take a more personal interest in such things. I get it.

I've actually been there with my sister for instance. Many many years ago i took her to the range to get her familiar with handguns when she started showing some interest in it. Today? She's a Sheriff’s deputy and k9 officer in New Jersey and now a bona fide gun nut.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I would encourage any responsible adult to get a gun.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I will answer questions and give honest answers. - people may or may not like what I have to say - if I think they are interested, safe, and ask for help, I may take them shooting.

In the end it's their choice and I'm not pushing anyone to get a weapon. I have a BIL who I think could safely use a firearm (I have shot with him before, the FIL brought him along once), but the odds of him leaving it out and his kids finding it are higher that average. He's talked about buying a gun for several years but never does. I'd never gift him a weapon or encourage him to get one.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I encourage ANYONE who is legally able to own a firearm to do so. I also tell them that a firearm is NOT a talisman... it in and of itself is not going to protect them and in fact could do the quite the opposite. They typically look at me with the puppy-like head tilt. At that point I explain that, in order for a firearm to protect someone, that someone has to have the knowledge, ability and willingness to use the tool in an effect manner.

Even so... I would NEVER try to talk someone out of owning a firearm if they asked me. I would be heartbroken if I did so and then at some point they needed one and didn't have one because I took it upon myself to decide that they weren't worthy. If, on the other hand, I explain the responsibility and they ignore that part and their firearm ownership becomes a tragedy... that is on them.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I help them understand the responsibility of gun ownership.
I ask "for what purpose you are thinking of purchasing" so I can explain what type of firearm would be good for that purpose.
If they tell me self defense I explain the need for proper training/practice to become proficient in the use of that firearm.
I also explain the possible consequences and legal cost of using that firearm weather you think you are right or not for using it.
The information I give can be based on where they live. I may not be familiar with the basic laws or rules where they live. I tell them they need to do the research them self so they do not accidentally get them self in trouble.
If they tell me for sporting purposes or just to target shoot most of what I mentioned above are still relevant.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post