SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just a few things ive been thinking about....perhaps slightly political
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a few things ive been thinking about....perhaps slightly political Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Some people take pride in their work.

Some people aren't worth $15 an hour.
And $15/hr now isn't worth what $10/hr was a few years ago. That being said, I agree that a mandated minimum is false economics (Dr. Sowell agrees). Wages should be an agreement between what a worker is willing to accept and what an employer is willing to pay. In general, higher wages attract better workers. A lot of companies with salaried workers don't permit sharing of salary information--that permits them to pay more productive workers more than just average ones.

I wholeheartedly agree with 220-9er: minimum wages for entry-level jobs are ruinous. Entry-level jobs are not supposed to be jobs supporting families! They are what teenagers and college students work to get spending money, help out at home, and learn job skills and attitudes. Once they have been initiated, they can then move on to better-paying jobs and begin to found families and join adult society.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Does anyone live in an area where the $15 minimum wage has taken effect? What were the repercussions?

The Seattle area and some restaurants closed.

And everywhere else prices went up to cover the extra costs and the minimum wage increase was negated. A preschooler could have foreseen this, but well, the people in Seattle are not smart.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I would say that it is cultural.

Also, I would point out that raising minimum wage does not mean that people will make more money, Kumbaya and all that.

Businesses will just increase their prices, or replace the workers with machines to keep the norm. McDonalds has proven this. Good on the Koreans, but I think that cultural expectations and traditions can explain it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line is it pisses me off. Im mad that people here dont ask for more than their current position in life deserves.

Frying eggs, steak, or whatever is an entry level job. If you aspire to be the best egg-fryer in the land and own your own joint, then fuck yeah, get it. Otherwise, you hate it and continue on up the ladder. This notion of spending 40 years at McDonalds going from frys to burgers and affording the American Dream is F-Ing crazy.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Bottom line is it pisses me off. Im mad that people here dont ask for more than their current position in life deserves.

Frying eggs, steak, or whatever is an entry level job. If you aspire to be the best egg-fryer in the land and own your own joint, then fuck yeah, get it. Otherwise, you hate it and continue on up the ladder. This notion of spending 40 years at McDonalds going from frys to burgers and affording the American Dream is F-Ing crazy.

I quit typing my thought too soon.

"I'm mad that people here don't as for more than their current position in life deserves...but the people in the same position in the US seem to think they deserve more"

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
the true minimum wage is zero

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post