SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Synchronizing timers on outdoor lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synchronizing timers on outdoor lights Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I have three low voltage tranformers powering my outside lighting (front yard, back yard and steps/entry. They are plugged into basic mechanical timers, which I have to reset every time the clocks change or there is a significant change in sunset time.

Is there a product I can use to synchronize the timers so that I can get the lights to all go on and off at the same time and not have to manually change all three every time it's necessary? It's particularly a pain to change the timer for the entry because it is under the house in the crawlspace.

I am not sure that I will get a great WIFI signal at the outdoor locations of the transformers. Would appreciate ideas.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the X10 products. (www.x10.com)

Perhaps use one of their Mini Timer units, and an appliance module (or lamp module) at each necessary location. Set the modules to the matching house codes, then program the Mini Timer to turn that house code on/off at your preferred times.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Intermatic model HB880R
Outdoor 7 day Astronomical Digital Timer

I have been using one for two years for my flagpole spotlight.

About $37, Available on Amazon and other stores.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Intermatic model HB880R

Neat!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Intermatic model HB880R

Neat!

Alternatively if they are switch controlled, this astronomical timer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I use these Outdoor Yard Stake with Photocell Built-In Timer for Christmas lights, but they would work for regular low voltage lights.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I finally got pissed at timers and pitched them in the trash.

I now have a photo cell unit, dusk to dawn sensor. In fact I have several sensors connected to several different light areas.

My Porch Light switch I never turn off. It comes on at dusk and stays on until dawn, and that's with the light bulb at a lower power setting. It also has a motion sensor, so as it stays on all night at low power, when it detects motion it flips to high power light. BOOM! Love it. Eazy Peazy!

You could probably get the 3 circuits you have wired into one dusk to dawn sensor if you wanted, depending on the layout.

Get it working, and it's no muss, no fuss.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I use these Outdoor Yard Stake with Photocell Built-In Timer for Christmas lights, but they would work for regular low voltage lights.

Temporary use only, not for permanent installation.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Z-Wave switches for my outside and lights that are tied into my security system. Using the Alarm.com front end I can set them to go on and off relative to sunset/sunrise times so they all auto-adjust throughout the year.

You can do the same with a Smart Things hub and Z-Wave switches, but there are other options as well.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Why is it essential to synchronize them? Are you OCD? If they go ON and OFF near the appropriate times, isn't that good enough?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with a few lights and ended up getting an outdoor wifi plug and now I have them all grouped together and I can set the schedules via an app.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used an X-10 timer for many years. Updated to an ISY994i from Universal Devices a few years ago. While having programming experience is helpful, you can learn it. They have newer devices that support many different types of modules.

I'm currently running one X-10 module for my front porch and several Insteon modules elsewhere in the house. I also have a newer ISY994i with ZWave support that I'm looking to update in my house and move the older one to Dad's to replace several modules I have to reset every time that DST does on or off even though they have DST support.

The system supports DST and the changing of sunup and sundown times.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they do it, but there are 300 wind turbans to my So. West with very bright red lights on the top of the 390 ft. Tall towers.

And all of the 300 red lights sync up perfectly.

It's a disturbingly cool sight to see.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post