SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Out of state motorcycle title, bike going to PA, notary required?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of state motorcycle title, bike going to PA, notary required? Login/Join 
posted
Am looking at a vintage BMW bike in NY state. If I buy it and bring it back to PA, does the sellers signature need to be notarized?

Thought someone here might know - Thanks ,

Chris

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure not. I’ve sold motorcycles from WV to PA residents betore and never notarized anything. On the other hand when I buy a bike from an individual in PA they have to have their signature notarized, there’s a place to do so on PA titles. Not a place on WV titles.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7083 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Mind sharing what BMW? Smile

Posts: 7083 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with your notary. Most require a notorized signature these days. Thanks to the thugs that ruined it for everyone else. A guy I work with picked up a car in Philthy, took the title to the notary he deals with all of the time. He was told to get a notorized signature as they ran into a lot of issues recently.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1960’s R50. Haven’t seen it yet, word is it is all original, runs, but not 100% complete

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Would there be any harm in having the seller's signature notarized? Seems like it would be fairly cheap and easy insurance against potential issues with title transfer in PA.

Or contact your county tax office (or whatever government agency handles title transfers) and ask them.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time, but I think I did have to get an Ohio notary for my PA notary to be happy. This was a while back though, on a 62 Lambretta. Maybe if the seller were in PA with you, not. Mine was not with me.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
It has been a while but if you are in PA receiving the vehicle it depends on the sellers state.

If you are the seller in PA then a notary is required.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
1960’s R50. Haven’t seen it yet, word is it is all original, runs, but not 100% complete

Nice, My friend bought one 15 years ago that turned to be in pretty bad condition. He did a complete restoration and it looks like it just came out of the factory now and he'd never done any kind of restoration prior.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The transfer folks I use have known me for 20 years. They'd tae my word for 'most everything.

I'd ask the title transfer people you'll be using.

And congrats! A vintage bike. Mmmmmmmm, love the smell of those after a few hours of running. And a BMW, you'll be spared the horrendous vibration older bikes tend to enjoy.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

R50/2 is a nice find.

R50S/2 is a GREAT find as only a handful were made.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Call the DMV or tax offices in each state and ask what the requirements to transfer title are.

Don't guess.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post