SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pepper spray - opinions finger or thumb?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pepper spray - opinions finger or thumb? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Guys, several of our techs (myself included) and now carrying LEO grade red. My question is about deployment. There seems to be no consensus on finger vs thumb activation.

I don’t go back to work for at least 4-6 weeks, but just researching now.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
To reduce the risk the attacker will be able to take the canister away from you, The best way to eliminate this risk is to get comfortable holding the canister and using your thumb instead of your index finger will allow you to wrap your four fingers and palm around the pepper spray forming a secure grip. Not to mention your hand will form a fist like position which you can also use to defend yourself if need be.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of you that are carrying the spray need to take an exposure to the spray.
If you ever use it, you will be exposed to it - best learn up front how you will react.
Prediction - half of you will decide not to carry it if you do an actual exposure.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It works best on the face.... just kidding.

In the police academy it was important to the staff that you used your finger. After the academy about 75% of officers take it off their duty belt (not required here).

Pepper spray sucks. Mostly for the bad guy, but usually for you too. Don't get hung up on how to hold the can. Just spray the face and be completely prepared for it to not work...

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
All of you that are carrying the spray need to take an exposure to the spray.
If you ever use it, you will be exposed to it - best learn up front how you will react.
Prediction - half of you will decide not to carry it if you do an actual exposure.

Yep, I agree. Exposure training isn’t required for us but we were told that we would most likely get hit with it if we deployed it.

We have 4 continuous recording cameras on our vehicles and they are marked as such. We have LIIIa vests. We are told to (1) stay out of rough areas unless we have accompanying security or police presence, (2) leave an area if approached or even suspicious. This involves only a tiny amount of the equipment we service.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I use it all the time for dog attacks while out cycling in the country.

Some dog owning idiots let their rotw/pits/german s./chows and just plain big brute mutts free to roam and attack walking folks and those on bicycles. It's LEO quality and is extraordinarily powerful.

I also carry 'Sudecon Decontamination Wipes" if I get it on me.

If you carry pepper spray get some.

You'll thank yourself.

Oh, they're quite inexpensive and work nicely.

I've treated one person (my Granddaughter) hit by over spray while were cycling and attacked by a pit. Only a little got on her, but enough to make her cry. I promptly applied the Sudecon Wipe to her nose and lips and the pain was resolved immediately.

It's good stuff.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've probably pepper sprayed 100 people. I love the stuff. I found that I get better control of the can and better aim using my finger.

Pepper spray is wonderful stuff people!! Ive seen WAY too many officers want to go hands on with an aggressive idiot. Not if I'm there. A little blast to the face, and no officers get injured. Its the stuff that keep on giving!! Tasers are done with in 5 seconds. Pepper spray gives all day long.

The 1.3% First Defense is gods hammer. Amazing stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Defense...rength/dp/B015WS9MH6

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I've probably pepper sprayed 100 people. I love the stuff. I found that I get better control of the can and better aim using my finger.

Pepper spray is wonderful stuff people!! Ive seen WAY too many officers want to go hands on with an aggressive idiot. Not if I'm there. A little blast to the face, and no officers get injured. Its the stuff that keep on giving!! Tasers are done with in 5 seconds. Pepper spray gives all day long.

The 1.3% First Defense is gods hammer. Amazing stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Defense...rength/dp/B015WS9MH6

I agree!! I use finger over thumb as well

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post