SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shaw AFB/ Sumter, SC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaw AFB/ Sumter, SC Login/Join 
Trust me, I am a
Professional Engineer.
Picture of RespectTheAmish
posted
My wife is about to PCS to Shaw AFB near Sumter, SC. So, we are moving to Sumter or somewhere near Sumter

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shaw or the surrounding community. We are going to take a trip latter this week to look at houses, and to drive around to get better acquainted with the area. So maybe if anyone knows of a nice resturant to eat at or interesting places to see would also be very helpful.

Thanks

Posts: 482 | Location: Wish I was in Indy | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My son and my brother-in-law were both stationed there. We visited several times. As I recall it is a good place for families but it has been quite a while. I remember a great Mexican restaurant there but I don't recall the name. Most importantly there is skeet range on base. Hope her sponsor is more helpful

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Well, at least you're not far from Columbia or the Beach.
I try to stay out of the Sumter area. If you don't have to live in Sumter I'd say move up towards the Camden area.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RespectTheAmish:
My wife is about to PCS to Shaw AFB near Sumter, SC. So, we are moving to Sumter or somewhere near Sumter

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shaw or the surrounding community. We are going to take a trip latter this week to look at houses, and to drive around to get better acquainted with the area. So maybe if anyone knows of a nice resturant to eat at or interesting places to see would also be very helpful.

Thanks

PM inbound

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t help much with Sumter, but if you make it down to Charleston let me know.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
My Brother was stationed there. His base apartment was really nice. I went to visit it is a short distance to Myrtle Beach. Very nice place. Base hospital was mostly a maternity ward.

The other impressive part was the B52 were stationed there.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:

...The other impressive part was the B52 were stationed there.

Pretty sure it's all F-16s now.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was stationed there for 4 years, 1971-1975. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but I really enjoyed my time there. The South Carolinians are very friendly folk. I lived in an apartment in the west side of Sumter (probably now fully absorbed) right next to the Swan Lake Gardens (beautiful park!). My favorite restaurant was a Chinese place across the highway from the base but it's been gone for years. The main aircraft located there back then were F-4s (very noisy!).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family was there when Dad was stationed at Shaw, but it has been too long - we left there in 1964. I looked at maps a few years ago, and the housing we had been using was taken down within the last decade.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Look up the History of the area... guy a long time ago named Francis Marion caused the British a lot of trouble... they never could catch him...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

F-15's also.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Very strange

You were stationed there when my wife was born there (her dad was stationed there)

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was stationed there for 4 years, 1971-1975. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but I really enjoyed my time there. The South Carolinians are very friendly folk. I lived in an apartment in the west side of Sumter (probably now fully absorbed) right next to the Swan Lake Gardens (beautiful park!). My favorite restaurant was a Chinese place across the highway from the base but it's been gone for years. The main aircraft located there back then were F-4s (very noisy!).

flashguy

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trust me, I am a
Professional Engineer.
Picture of RespectTheAmish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Look up the History of the area... guy a long time ago named Francis Marion caused the British a lot of trouble... they never could catch him...

Well him and the Carolina Gamecock, Thomas Sumter.

Posts: 482 | Location: Wish I was in Indy | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardokid11:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

F-15's also.

Only F-16s at Shaw...F-15s are up the road at Seymour-Johnson

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Very strange

You were stationed there when my wife was born there (her dad was stationed there)

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy
What was her dad's name, and what did he do?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post