SIGforum
Shaw AFB/ Sumter, SC

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7360076734

February 12, 2018, 06:36 PM
RespectTheAmish
Shaw AFB/ Sumter, SC
My wife is about to PCS to Shaw AFB near Sumter, SC. So, we are moving to Sumter or somewhere near Sumter

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shaw or the surrounding community. We are going to take a trip latter this week to look at houses, and to drive around to get better acquainted with the area. So maybe if anyone knows of a nice resturant to eat at or interesting places to see would also be very helpful.

Thanks
February 12, 2018, 06:50 PM
HayesGreener
My son and my brother-in-law were both stationed there. We visited several times. As I recall it is a good place for families but it has been quite a while. I remember a great Mexican restaurant there but I don't recall the name. Most importantly there is skeet range on base. Hope her sponsor is more helpful

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
February 12, 2018, 07:51 PM
Nframe
Well, at least you're not far from Columbia or the Beach.
I try to stay out of the Sumter area. If you don't have to live in Sumter I'd say move up towards the Camden area.
February 12, 2018, 08:04 PM
SIGguy229
quote:
Originally posted by RespectTheAmish:
My wife is about to PCS to Shaw AFB near Sumter, SC. So, we are moving to Sumter or somewhere near Sumter

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shaw or the surrounding community. We are going to take a trip latter this week to look at houses, and to drive around to get better acquainted with the area. So maybe if anyone knows of a nice resturant to eat at or interesting places to see would also be very helpful.

Thanks

PM inbound
February 12, 2018, 08:15 PM
MattW
Can’t help much with Sumter, but if you make it down to Charleston let me know.
February 12, 2018, 08:51 PM
Zecpull
My Brother was stationed there. His base apartment was really nice. I went to visit it is a short distance to Myrtle Beach. Very nice place. Base hospital was mostly a maternity ward.

The other impressive part was the B52 were stationed there.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.
February 12, 2018, 08:58 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:

...The other impressive part was the B52 were stationed there.

Pretty sure it's all F-16s now.
February 12, 2018, 09:36 PM
flashguy
I was stationed there for 4 years, 1971-1975. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but I really enjoyed my time there. The South Carolinians are very friendly folk. I lived in an apartment in the west side of Sumter (probably now fully absorbed) right next to the Swan Lake Gardens (beautiful park!). My favorite restaurant was a Chinese place across the highway from the base but it's been gone for years. The main aircraft located there back then were F-4s (very noisy!).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
February 12, 2018, 10:42 PM
SigSAC
Our family was there when Dad was stationed at Shaw, but it has been too long - we left there in 1964. I looked at maps a few years ago, and the housing we had been using was taken down within the last decade.
February 13, 2018, 05:55 AM
Blume9mm
Look up the History of the area... guy a long time ago named Francis Marion caused the British a lot of trouble... they never could catch him...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
February 13, 2018, 09:35 AM
Ricardokid11
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

F-15's also.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

February 13, 2018, 03:12 PM
Kevbo
Very strange

You were stationed there when my wife was born there (her dad was stationed there)

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was stationed there for 4 years, 1971-1975. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but I really enjoyed my time there. The South Carolinians are very friendly folk. I lived in an apartment in the west side of Sumter (probably now fully absorbed) right next to the Swan Lake Gardens (beautiful park!). My favorite restaurant was a Chinese place across the highway from the base but it's been gone for years. The main aircraft located there back then were F-4s (very noisy!).

flashguy

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
February 13, 2018, 07:29 PM
RespectTheAmish
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Look up the History of the area... guy a long time ago named Francis Marion caused the British a lot of trouble... they never could catch him...

Well him and the Carolina Gamecock, Thomas Sumter.
February 13, 2018, 10:08 PM
SIGguy229
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardokid11:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

F-15's also.

Only F-16s at Shaw...F-15s are up the road at Seymour-Johnson
February 14, 2018, 02:24 AM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Very strange

You were stationed there when my wife was born there (her dad was stationed there)

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy
What was her dad's name, and what did he do?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth