SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automatic watch question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automatic watch question Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
I have a Marathon automatic dive watch that was issued to me in the service in 2006, I’ve never taken it in for service(didn’t know it needed servicing or regular maintenance). I wore it for several years and it was replaced for a cheaper watch when I was policing.

I’ve started wearing it again as my citizen eco drive died. Now my marathon is losing about five minutes in a week...

Is there something I should do or should I send it to Dave?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11319 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely call Dave and get his opinion. If he can't do what he thinks your watch might need, he'll be able to recommend who and where to send it for servicing.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
David has serviced my Tag 2000 automatic. I highly recommend him. My watch always comes back looking like new.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36846 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAVE!!!

I sent mine to Marathon a year and a half ago. IMO, I spent too much money and to much time. I needed the crown replaced, it was loosing time, and a “tune-up”.
It cost me about $350, and took about 3 months.

Next time, Dave is getting mine.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8375 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I would take it to a local watchmaker first to see if it just needs regulating. They can put it on a machine to measure amplitude. That will tell whether it needs an overhaul or just regulating.

Posts: 3575 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Slow is usually gelled up oil in the bearings.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34166 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I would take it to a local watchmaker first to see if it just needs regulating. They can put it on a machine to measure amplitude. That will tell whether it needs an overhaul or just regulating.

Well that would be all good, but I moved here two years ago and don’t know the ins and outs of the locals.

I took the Eco drive to a local and they replaced the battery thingy after I figured out the thing needed a new one and they allegedly replaced it, but they replaced the back with something completely smooth...the old one had writing on it. So I don’t think they will get my business.

Should I ask them for a quote for a “regular tune” and replace the back o ring and stem o ring....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11319 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Lack of lubrication more commonly causes fast running, but can be slow.

Five minutes a week is very slow though. Is the watch possibly stopping and starting? Either way, sounds like you need a good independent watchmaker. He'll be able to fix you up. If you can't find someone local, Dave is always an excellent choice.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Unless something has changed in the past few months, Dave T. doesn't service Marathon.

If it's been that long (10+ years), even if it costs a little more/takes a little longer, OEM might be the way to go, tho they'll they might be sending it out of country (back to Canada), if that matters to you.

I sent a Marathon to Watch Repairs USA...they specifically list Marathon as a brand they service. I was generally satisfied.

https://watchrepairsusa.com/marathon/watch-repair

Not sure if they handle Marathon, but have heard good things about TM Watch Co:

https://tmwatchco.com/

Good luck.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Marathon itself repairs their watches here:
https://www.marathonwatch.com/...ance-repair-services. Complete service is $275USD.

Have heard zero complaints from other Marathon owners about their service.

My Oct/2001 military contract SAR automatic diver was serviced late last year by an outfit in Edina, Minnesota that my local watch purveyor uses. $250 ppd and no issues. https://rfmoeller.com/services...pairs/watch-repairs/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16273 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I have a Marathon automatic dive watch that was issued to me in the service in 2006, I’ve never taken it in for service(didn’t know it needed servicing or regular maintenance). I wore it for several years and it was replaced for a cheaper watch when I was policing.

I’ve started wearing it again as my citizen eco drive died. Now my marathon is losing about five minutes in a week...

Is there something I should do or should I send it to Dave?

Huh. I had to PAY for mine. Mind you. it's one of those cheap ol' J-SARs....

Posts: 11353 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After my terrible experience getting my Seamaster serviced by my AD I now recommend sending watches back to the manufacturer for service. Believe it or not this is often the most cost effective route to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21140 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
After my terrible experience getting my Seamaster serviced by my AD I now recommend sending watches back to the manufacturer for service. Believe it or not this is often the most cost effective route to go.

I have an original SMP300 "Bond" watch. It has never been serviced or cleaned, loses about a minute per week. I'm afraid sending it in will jinx the reliability. More importantly, they might polish it, removing the "battle scars" that remind me of specific events/memories.

Posts: 55 | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Huh. I had to PAY for mine. Mind you. it's one of those cheap ol' J-SARs....

Yeah, it’s different for each service in the US. My Army buddy had to turn in all of his gear except his dress uniform when he got out. Apparently they keep track of all their stuff.(web gear/load bearing vest, helmets etc)

OTOH we we given a uniform allowance and we purchased all our uniform stuff when we initially enlisted. So we keep all our uniforms when we discharge. But we have to turn in our SAR or LE gear, as it belongs to the boat or station and they funded it.

But my E7 (Chief) came in one morning and handed these watches out to all four of us. Really I think he used office funds to order a watch for himself but got it by the storekeepers, by ordering five and issuing them to the staff.

Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
David is, of course, SIG forum's jeweler of choice. He also sells some nice watches. I have absolute trust in him.
https://mimisjewelryinc.com/?u...ign=googlemybusiness

This gentleman is one of the best guys in the US. He makes his own watch movements. He studied in the US and in Switzerland, worked for a Swiss watch company than came home and started his own business. His service is probably a little too costly for a Marathon.
https://www.rgmwatches.com/repair

This company seems good, I've not used them.
http://illinoiswatchcompany.com/watch-repair/

This is my local guy here in Portland. I've been happy with the work he did on my Tissot. His Repair Philosophy tells you everything you need to know about him. He is not accepting new watches for repair until Sept. 4.

Quality Watch Repair

And of course, you can send it into Marathon directly for them to service. I would probably send it to Marathon if not QWR.

With regards to your Citizen, I would contact David for that one, use my guy in Portland Quality Watch Repair or send it to Citizen.

Posts: 1038 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just got a quote last week for Marathon service. My GSAR is a Jan 2004 manufacture date. The tritium is dimming noticeably at this point. It’s probably losing 15 seconds a day and it’s never been serviced.

Here is what they told me:

“ To perform the tritium replacement is $100USD for dial and $60USD for new hands set.
Servicing the watch will range from $138-275USD. If the watch has not been serviced since, likely the service charge will be $275USD.

If other components need replacing we’ll advise in our evaluation estimate.”

I bought the watch used, and don’t really have any sentimental value attached to it. Other than wearing it for a long time during some crazy shit. I’m thinking about selling a couple of them and getting a Marathon Jumbo Day Date. It’s not that the price to get it serviced is unreasonable, it’s just that it’s half the value of the watch, and if I’m going to drop that much money I think I’d rather get a new watch. And the JDD is a little bit bigger with the Day function, and my eyes are not what they were 10 years ago when I bought the GSR. $435 plus shipping would be a no brainer if it was a gift or something that had sentimental value. I have a bead on a 2014 JDD for $700+ shipping right now. A new one is around $1,300.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11452 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Yup. $275 for guaranteed factory parts and a service performed by people who only take apart that watch. I know "people" who will do it but they charge $450+.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

It's been 15 years, but I had an appalling experience having my Seamaster worked on by Omega. After a few years, it starting running fast by about a minute a day. I was new to mechanical watches and didn't realize it just needed to be regulated and maybe serviced.

Omega had it for months before sending it back to me saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was still running a minute a day fast. I sent it back again, they had it for months, told me they couldn't fix it, and replaced it with a brand new watch.

A few years later when the new one started running fast I asked around for advice, took it to a local watchmaker, and had it back, once again keeping perfect time, in a few days.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
If it is mechanical, its an ETA 2824-"X". Any competent watch maker should be able to service it well. If they can't, they're not competent or well trained. They should be able to order the o-rings from any watch materials house.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
My GSAR seems to run 3-4 minutes fast per week but I cant be bothered with the expense right now. Mines a March of 2009 vintage.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post