SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Now that the mid-term results are in, can we sum-up what it all means now?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now that the mid-term results are in, can we sum-up what it all means now? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Prop 6 did not pass, largely because it was somewhat confusingly described and California voters are too flaming stupid to read and comprehend more than three words.

In another forum, someone labeled Prop 6 as the California IQ test. And CA failed miserably.

My condolences to the CA members; it is gonna be a shitshow. Welcome to the Newsom Regime.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, among other things, this election confirms that most suburban soccer moms are dumber than fuck.

That appears to be the swing demographic in this election.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... what will the mid terms mean for those independents in the House?

Is there enough indep. to cross the floor and make it meaningful; or are those pockets already accounted for?

??

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dow and S&P 500 up over 2% today. Wonder what Paul Krugman thinks of that?

Hmmm....never heard of her.. Cool

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Well, among other things, this election confirms that most suburban soccer moms are dumber than fuck.

Perhaps my most hated demographic in this country. I used to be surrounded by them in my previous town. I used to label them "Bettys"- youngish stay at home moms driving around in SUVs, gathering in herds and constantly talking about how bitchen their kids are- "Omagawd, little Cyyynthia is 1st chair violin and she is just so aaawesome, Omagawd...." Their vacuous chatter was beyond annoying. Their herd gets in the way at the grocery store, the bank, etc. Idiotic bims.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Perhaps my most hated demographic in this country. I used to be surrounded by them in my previous town. I used to label them "Bettys"- youngish stay at home moms driving around in SUVs, gathering in herds and constantly talking about how bitchen their kids are- "Omagawd, little Cyyynthia is 1st chair violin and she is just so aaawesome, Omagawd...." Their vacuous chatter was beyond annoying. Their herd gets in the way at the grocery store, the bank, etc. Idiotic bims.
Would you rather they were working in business offices?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

When opportunities came to vote on important issues, the Republican Congress consistently failed to do many of the things they promised. The President tried to push his agenda, but the House often blocked it. The President was hindered at times as if he were working with the Democratic leaders of a Democratically controlled Congress.

When election day came, some of the Republican base remembered the broken promises and lost their motivation. Democrats voted as a unified, motivated base.

I believe this is exactly what happened in Iowa. Other than one Dem Representative, IA was all Republican - Gov, both Senators, 3 of 4 Representatives, state house, state Senate. Dems picked off 2 of our 3 Republican Reps, but Governor, state house and state Senate all stay in Republican control (neither Senator up for election this time). People just pissed that Paul Ryan and company couldn't get anything done on healthcare or anything else.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm....never heard of her..

Fortunately your Cool emoji means an explanation is unnecessary. Wink

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine too. Run on nothing but emotion and crotch.

I heard one interviewed on NPR the day after the election. She said something like the following: "I've been a republican all my life and voted for Trump, but now I'm a mom, and when I saw those little children in cages, I imagined my beautiful kids in there and that would just kill them and I can't vote for that kind of thing."

It's obvious then, that no rational thought transits the void between her ears. Ever.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Florida may have a problem.

https://www.local10.com/news/e...eaded-toward-recount
Not likely. The margin is ~35k votes, and we vote by automated machine. So Nelson trying to overcome that margin will be next to impossible. That said the Dem's are good at BS, so we'll all have to watch.

I derive satisfaction that the whiney, entitled asshole Nelson is showing he is not man enough to accept the election results. Florida has been stuck with this idiot for more years than I care to remember. The Villages, Bill.
Somebody with knowledge of Florida law, please step in here. I was under the impression that a recount is required if the margin is less than 0.5%. If that is true, then Nelson has no say, re a recount. Am I off base here?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Particularly given how many Republican Senate seats will be at stake in the 2020 elections.

The senate is a done deal. The stars really align well for the next 6 years. The seats coming up are much more safe.

I hate that we lost the house but that is just a further sign of the impotence of the house. Trump correctly understood that the Senate is how we keep the country by packing the courts with conservative judges. His rallies were very focused on senate races.

Think about it like this: The population of the US continues to concentrate in the larger cities while the rest of the country remains "fly over country". As the population shifts more representatives will be assigned to the high population centers. Is this bad, not really.

In the next 20-30 years this population shift will leave 12-15 blue states and the rest red. That works out to about 70 conservative senators and 30 liberal senators. It also protects the constitution because you will never get enough to agree to a constitutional convention.

The democrats showed the way with judges. Trump and McConnell are crushing them with their strategy.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
These people are so unfathomably dumb and uneducated that it makes my head hurt thinking about it.

Joy Behar Claims Democrats Lost Senate Races Due To Gerrymandering

Joy Behar said Democrats lost key senate races because of gerrymandering in a segment on ABC's 'The View' Wednesday morning.
NOVEMBER 7, 2018 By Bre Payton

Joy Behar said Democrats lost key senate races because of gerrymandering in a segment on ABC’s ‘The View’ Wednesday morning.

For some bizarre reason, ABC’s News’s Matthew Dowd brought up the fact that more ballots were cast in favor of the total number of Democratic candidates than Republican candidates running for U.S. Senate.

“In 2016 we had a split decision,” Dowd said. “Trump takes the electoral college, geography. Hillary Clinton wins the popular vote. Democrats won the popular vote last night by 8 million votes. But they lose U.S. Senate races in red areas –”

“Because of gerrymandering,” Behar interrupted.

Tom Elliott
@tomselliott
Here’s the clip of Joy Behar thinking Dems lost Senate seats because of gerrymandering

“It’s not gerrymandering, that’s the Constitution,” Dowd said. “The districts are gerrymandered but states are part of the Constitution. And I think that what we end up having is both sides, the blues are getting bluer, the reds are getting redder and it’s getting harder and harder for each side to figure out how to come together and deal with this.”

When discussing Senate races, the number of total votes cast in favor of one party or another at the national level is completely irrelevant. To win a senate seat, one must win the popular vote in one’s own state. Control of the U.S. Senate is not automatically handed to whatever party happens to get more ballots cast in its favor at the national level because senate races are determined at the state level, not nationally. When counting the total number of votes cast nationwide, one must consider the disproportionate effect blue states with high populations have on the overall vote total. A state like California, where Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein beat her Republican opponent handily, will skew the total number in that direction, despite the fact that its own senatorial outcome has no bearing on Florida, Arizona, or any other state’s senatorial race.

As ABC News’s chief political analyst, Dowd knows this. His decision to conflate these two numbers which have no bearing on one anther is utterly bizarre. He continued to dig himself into an even deeper hole by comparing presidential elections to senatorial elections, which is also strange.

“So if you think about this, a Republican has only won the popular vote for president one time in the last seven presidential elections,” Dowd said. “George Bush in 2004 is the only time in the past seven elections. If this keeps up, they could possibly win the electoral college and still lose the popular vote and that’s the place we’re in after last night.”

Dowd and Behar aren’t the only pundits pushing wild and false ideas about how elections work.

Joy Reid

@JoyAnnReid
Hugely important point just now by @ezraklein: if the outcome of the midterms is that Republicans lose the popular vote for House and Senate, as they did w/ the White House, but due to gerrymandering emerge still controlling all three (and the Supreme Court)? Legitimacy crisis.

In the days leading up to the election, media pundits have been mixing these two numbers up and pretending that the popular vote is a thing when it comes to determining who is elected to the U.S. Senate.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/...e-to-gerrymandering/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that people actually listen to opinions from Joy.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2402 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
What it all means is that the 2020 campaign in now full under way. Everyone except the entrenched swamp creatures will be testing the winds, angling for the best possible position to be in for re-election.

The swamp creatures, by their very nature, will be threatening, wheedling and maneuvering, hoping to ensnare the newcomers into their camp ("if you don't vote the way we want you to, your tenure on X committee will be a living hell...").

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
...[snip]...
Tom Elliott
@tomselliott
...[snip]...
A state like California, where Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein beat her Republican opponent handily,
...[snip]...

Tom is confused. CA is much more screwed up than that. Diane Feinstein did not have a Republican opponent in the general election. CA voters had to decide which GDC was the least stinky piece of cat feces. (No offense intended toward cat feces.)

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
...[snip]...
Tom Elliott
@tomselliott
...[snip]...
A state like California, where Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein beat her Republican opponent handily,
...[snip]...

Tom is confused. CA is much more screwed up than that. Diane Feinstein did not have a Republican opponent in the general election. CA voters had to decide which GDC was the least stinky piece of cat feces. (No offense intended toward cat feces.)

Right, so every single vote cast was for a Democrat...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that the mid-term results are in, can we sum-up what it all means now?

It means the dims have just enough rope to really hang the shit out of themselves.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pima County had a proposal on the ballet for county road repair, which was soundly defeated by voters.

County Administrator Huckleberry (that's his name) is crying the blues that he won't get more monies that he's pissed away in past years on pet projects....NOT road repairs.

BTW, his annual salary is $288,000, plus perks.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Recounts possible in FL, the Palm Beach and Broward counties haven't reported all votes, and are still turning in ballots these are heavily D areas.

So the Scott Desantis wins may very well be in question, FL, D, Elections, nothing new.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post