SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else not care about Helloween?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else not care about Helloween? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Is there anyone else that can’t be bothered by this so called “holiday”?
For some reason I’ve never been concerned with any of it. Pumpkins, candy, costumes, horror films, haunted houses and women using it to dress provocatively at the bars? The question is being posed at work today...”What are you doing for Halloween”? My response was going to the gym, working the dog, and cooking dinner with my front porch light turned off. Bah humbug!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
All holidays anymore have been ruined. Christmas now is just a huge pain in the ass spending money you don't have for people you don't care about. Everything becomes this commercial bullshit stressful shit show. People have to ruin everything. Put on a mask or something and go get free candy. Keep it light, but it seems nobody can do that anymore

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I celebrate Samhain, the Celtic holiday from October 31st to November 2nd; the time of no-time.

These three days have a special quality; during them the practitioner seeks contact with the spirits of the departed, who are sources of guidance and inspiration. The dead are honoured and feasted, not as the dead, but as the living spirits of loved ones and of guardians who passed us the wisdom of our people.

With the coming of Christianity, this festival was turned into All Hallows [October 31], All Saints [November 1st] and All Souls [November 2nd] Days. I don't mind, for the devout Christian celebrates the same basic ideas as I do.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love parties, provocatively dressed women, chocolate, and scary movies, and wholeheartedly support most anything that facilitates or otherwise encourages them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its just a time to have fun.
Nothing better than watching small kids reactions, as they trick or treat.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My only concern is not running over kids on the way home tonight.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not as excited now that my kids are past the age where we chaperone them throughout the neighborhood.

It still brings back some good memories from when I was young.

We won't have many if any kids at the door, but I'm ok with it.

Ya gotta dance to the beat of your own drum.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I define what holidays are; they don’t define me and therefore they’re not something that can be “ruined,” “exploited,” or “perverted.” Of all the things that I am and could be concerned about, how others observe them is among the least of my worries—unless, of course, their observance includes a nice meal and I’m invited over for good food and company. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm with 46&2 on this matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Helloween

I freaking hate it, now Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. From childhood to late 20's have always loved it, from trick or treating to hot chicks in skimpy outlets in my college and after years.

I'll put on a costume and hand out candy, I like making the kids smile.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
No so much any more. We have a 100' driveway on an unlit dirt road that has all 90' or wider lots. We get so few children we stopped doing the candy thing years ago.

Didn't help we were one of the few homes on our part of the street that ever did it, in the first place.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm not into it, but enjoy the young kids stopping by. The only thing that bothers me is when teenagers come by in a t-shirt, with a Walmart sack.

That being said, my dog doesn't like trick-or-treaters, at all, so this year I'll be leaving the porch light off.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Is there anyone else that can’t be bothered by this so called “holiday”?
For some reason I’ve never been concerned with any of it. Pumpkins, candy, costumes, horror films, haunted houses and women using it to dress provocatively at the bars? The question is being posed at work today...”What are you doing for Halloween”? My response was going to the gym, working the dog, and cooking dinner with my front porch light turned off. Bah humbug!

Lighten up, Frances!!

I enjoy it for what it is, not what PC warriors try to make it.

Shouldn't this be in "What's your deal?!"

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Its just a time to have fun.
Nothing better than watching small kids reactions, as they trick or treat.

We don't even see much of that anymore. It's mostly ghetto rats, no costumes, on the prowl on the one night it's quasi-OK to shake people down on their doorsteps.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
... this year I'll be leaving the porch light off.

See previous post (re: 100' long d'way, unlit dirt road, wide properties...). We've found it necessary to make sure the porch light and the lights flanking the garage door are off, the motion-sensing floodlight is off, all lights in the front-facing rooms are either off of dimmed way down and the curtains are closed.

And still we'll get one or two trick-or-treaters

You'd think that if one or two kids or groups of kids would brave all that, that, if we'd "advertise," we'd get plenty of kids. Nope. After a half-dozen years of winding up eating all that cheap candy, ourselves, we gave up.

(Note to self: Bring ceramic pumpkin in, too...)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We turn off all of the lights and go to one of our favorite restaurants.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We live a couple miles north of the Pine Hills area, also referred to as "Crime Hills."

A few years ago, vans full of Pine Hills kids and "teens" started showing up here.

Halloween used to be kind of fun with the local neighborhood kids. Now that we're being invaded from other parts of town, my wife and I leave the front light off, and go out for dinner, returning after the "festivities" are over.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30666 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Grilling burgers and dogs for my brother's family ... home by 8pm. Fun for me, but I'm candy'd out already.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We don’t get kids out in BFE and I don’t go to parties so the most I get out of it is pics of drunk sluts in skimpy costumes. So I don’t mind it. Smile

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post