SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illexit? Illinois wants to leave Chicago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illexit? Illinois wants to leave Chicago Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The anti LP sentiment is grounded in the perception that our legislators are often ignored by Lansing.
Example: The proposed tunnel to improve and protect Enbridge Line 5 under which was sponsored by Sara Cambensy.
And given the poorer economics of the UP, he proposed new gas tax will be harder on Yoopers than residents in many other areas of the state.
Maybe a better suggestion would be for everything north of Bay City to secede.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wall it off...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Illinois is a complete sewer. Well Cook county is . And thus the problem. Cook County (Chicago) runs the state. Always has. Sad for the rest of the state. About the only choice if you live in states like Il. , Cal., or N.Y. is simply get out. Not too mention the incredible tax burdens in liberal controlled states.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The anti LP sentiment is grounded in the perception that our legislators are often ignored by Lansing.
Example: The proposed tunnel to improve and protect Enbridge Line 5 under which was sponsored by Sara Cambensy.
And given the poorer economics of the UP, he proposed new gas tax will be harder on Yoopers than residents in many other areas of the state.
Maybe a better suggestion would be for everything north of Bay City to secede.

Actually, we need to take everything south of I-69 and east of US-23 and give it to Canada. The rest of the state would probably thrive.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AITG:
Actually, we need to take everything south of I-69 and east of US-23 and give it to Canada. The rest of the state would probably thrive.
Your boundaries seem a little vague, but I think you are describing the SE corner of Michigan from Port Huron down. It only includes the major cities of Flint and Detroit. I'm assuming you don't mean outside of Michigan.

Since the OP was about Chicago, I don't see the connection. Admittedly, both Flint and Detroit are Liberal enclaves and in bad fiscal condition, but the state laws come from Lansing and that is not included in your area.

More on point--Canada would not want that area.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Illinois is a complete sewer. Well Cook county is . And thus the problem. Cook County (Chicago) runs the state. Always has. Sad for the rest of the state. About the only choice if you live in states like Il. , Cal., or N.Y. is simply get out. Not too mention the incredible tax burdens in liberal controlled states.

Its a little larger than that. Parts of Will, Lake, and parts of Kane Counties are in it too.

How do you thin I feel?
Hell, I'm stuck behind the lines! Armored, Klusk, Bulldog and a few others as well.

https://www.chicagomag.com/cit...n-Results-President/

Take a look at the Election map of Chicago, ya see that little RED speck in the south west corner of the City?
See the RED speck a little further up? See the RED dots on the far north side? That's where the City Workers live. Many a TRUMP and MAGA sign on our lawns, "Deplorable" T-shirts worn proudly. We're all fighting the good fight. Viva la Resistance!

(Funny, if you put the crime map over the city, those RED areas is where crime AINT! Wink )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Heck NY State might be decent if it kicks out NYC.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by AITG:
Your boundaries seem a little vague, but I think you are describing the SE corner of Michigan from Port Huron down.

That is essentially SE Michigan.

quote:
It only includes the major cities of Flint and Detroit.

And "they"'d be keeping Ann Arbor, Lansing, Ypsilanti, Bay City, Sagninaw, Benton Harbor and Grand Rapids (which is leaning increasingly left). I'm fairly certain Traverse City has become something of a leftist enclave, too.

quote:
Since the OP was about Chicago, I don't see the connection.

The Chicago vs. The Rest Of Illinois thing is about concentrations of leftists wagging the entire rest of the state. That's pretty much what's happening in Michigan, except it's more distributed across a number of urban areas, as noted above.

quote:
More on point--Canada would not want that area.

Oh, I don't know about that. Would give them complete control of a vital waterway and increased transit into the rest of the U.S.

Then again: They have enough problems just dealing with Quebec. Now a bunch of relatively heavily-armed, feisty ex-Americans? Yeah... probably not Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I lived in Detroit for 18 years (1942-1960). It was a fairly nice place then. I spent the next 20 years in the Air Force. When I retired in 1980 the city had degenerated so far I did not go back (ended up here in Dallas). Added benefit--don't have to shovel snow.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I would love to see the Yoop secede from Michigan. Our problems are similar to Illinois.

Wait a minute here. Don't lump the outstate area in with the Tri-Counties, Flint, Saginaw and Benton Harbor. Just because we're trolls (what yoopers used to call us living below the bridge) doesn't mean we agree with them.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Heck NY State might be decent if it kicks out NYC.

Likewise here in Washington State without Seattle/Tacoma.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post