SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Home's Air Conditioning No Work! Update: She's Working!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Home's Air Conditioning No Work! Update: She's Working! Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I just want to say thank you to all your responses. I purchased a new capacitor ($38.00) and the house is cool again.

Seriously, thanks to the Sigforum, my wife and I are going to survive the heat! I hope I can be of help to you sometime in the future!

Sounds like you owe 80,000+ people a beer.

Glad you are up and running again!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
If you're ever in the area, I'll buy you a beer or six! Smile

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love the HVAC Union types “You are screwed”, then the “it’s fixed, $38.00”.

You know an HVAC guy would have bent the OP over for a couple of C-notes, minimum. Maybe even the old “well, it’s 16 years old. I can give you a good deal on a brand new system and will take the old one away (no charge on that)... lemmmie see, that’ll be $12K????”.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Air conditioning is the greatest invention ever- even more so than electricity and tits.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to say thank you to all your responses. I purchased a new capacitor ($38.00) and the house is cool again.

Seriously, thanks to the Sigforum, my wife and I are going to survive the heat! I hope I can be of help to you sometime in the future!

That's awesome! and you didn't get zapped? Did you look up directions on the internet on how to replace or just the video in this thread?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Air conditioning is the greatest invention ever- even more so than electricity and tits.

Yup. If not for air conditioning there would only be 100 people living in Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Jackson, Atlanta, etc. It's freaking brutal down here.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

That's awesome! and you didn't get zapped? Did you look up directions on the internet on how to replace or just the video in this thread?

Both. The video posted in this thread led me to other videos that made it all simple to understand. I didn't even know A/C's even had capacitors, but I have dealt with them before installing high-powered audio systems in cars.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

You know an HVAC guy would have bent the OP over for a couple of C-notes, minimum.

Why is it such a problem for a business to make a profit?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That is really cool (no joke)... if you will look back, I suggested whopping the box that holds the capacitor... which probably would have fixed the problem temporarily.. my point is now I know why using the special tool sometimes works and a better way to fix it.

seems like a neighbor friend had the same problem last year... he was complaining after the fact that the service tech charged him $185 to put a new capacitor in... personally I thought it sounded like a good deal.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Heat...? Bay Area...? Has it started to hit the 70’s there already? Come visit, there’s heat AND humidity here.

Wink

Glad you’re up and running, AC is a wonderful thing.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

You know an HVAC guy would have bent the OP over for a couple of C-notes, minimum.

Not every business owner is as honest as you are.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder, remember to wash the condenser off. Get all the grass, leaves, ect off.
And no high pressure, just water flowing from the hose.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
That is really cool (no joke)... if you will look back, I suggested whopping the box that holds the capacitor... which probably would have fixed the problem temporarily.. my point is now I know why using the special tool sometimes works and a better way to fix it.

Real funny, coming from the guy who stated, "I suspect since you have not had it serviced for ... 16 years you are screwed.... even with servicing the unit is way past its expected life...."

If you feel whopping a bad capacitor with a hammer sounds like a good idea, by all means knock yourself out.
Do you whop your dead car battery in hopes the vehicle starts too?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
quote:

Not every business owner is as honest as you are.

I get and understand that, but a couple c-notes (total bill) for a capacitor replacement isn't bending someone over.

posted Hide Post
I just paid 196.00 for the cap and a 92 dollar service call

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're ever in the area, I'll buy you a beer or six! Smile

Do I get a beer too? I called it as well. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
OP - Glad you got your AC back! There's something to be said about doing things yourself.

quote:
I get and understand that, but a couple c-notes (total bill) for a capacitor replacement isn't bending someone over.

I agree (and this coming from the ultimate cheapskate who likes to try to do things on his own Big Grin) - Around here, the service guy might be a 30 min drive away, spend 20 minutes to diagnose (and fix a simple issue) and have parts stocked in his van. I don't think $200+ would be out of line for that service at all.

What gets me worked up is the local utility company's service plan my fiancee and her mom are on and that probably wouldn't be so bad if the utility company was expedient with getting a service call and could fix something in one visit rather than a visit to diagnose (even though you told them enough to determine exactly what was wrong) and another visit a week to two later when they get the part (from a local distribution center)...

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post