SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Foods from Your home State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foods from Your home State Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn. That looks amazing! Is that mustard on the bottom there? That's the only thing I'd leave off, but it looks like it's got mayo so I'm in!

It is, and it's how I prefer mine (I like everything, and cheese), but most places let you pick your toppings. And yes, mayo is a popular choice Big Grin!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Being from Louisiana I would have a long list. But right now I’m eating some Crawfish Boudin I got today. It’s good

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are all kinds of ritzy joints in NYC, but for everyday fare my favorites are:

Pizza
Pastrami Sandwich from a good deli
Scallion Pancakes in China Town

and for dessert:

Cheesecake from a reputable pastry shop (Back in the day, Stadium Bakery, on 161st near the original Yankee Stadium was AMAZING!)

Coconut icee/gelatos from those little carts in the Bronx and upper Manhattan.

Now that I'm in Washington, can't really think of any local standout, it seems everything came from somewhere else. I suppose good local brewery craft beers, lots to choose from out here.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

As to where I grew up, in Prague, Czech Republic...there are so many options. The best is probably pork, dumplings, and sauerkraut, or "veprozeloknedlo" as it's called locally:

I’m not Czech, but boy, does that look good!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had that numerous places in Prague, but my favorite was at U Fleků.

I've never been to U Fleku, but my favorite was at a little pub-style restaurant in Zbraslav (a suburb village south of Prague where I lived for a couple of years) called Skoda Lasky. They had a sweet style kraut that I've never had anywhere else, and it was fantastic. We used to get veprozeloknedlo every now and then for school lunch, too...us boys were always trying to talk the lunch ladies out of a few extra knedliky (dumplings).

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

There is a place in Apopka that should be on that list -- The Catfish Place. It's in the Greater Downtown Metropolitan area, very close to Porkie's BBQ.

Rode up tonight all you can eat catfish with two sides only $16. Hit them for three baskets. Good stuff

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSlaug
posted Hide Post

I’m originally from WV.

Posts: 135 | Location: Flower Mound, TX | Registered: July 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Utah.... hmmmm. Maybe funeral potatoes? Only one I’m sure of is the pastrami burger, and fry sauce.

Several BBQ joints have been trying to make blackberry BBQ sauce a Utah thing.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Binghamton (NY) spiedies

Lived there (actually Endicott) when I was a little kid.

I was too young, so I don't really recall those specifically, but my parents still rave about how great spiedies were.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This is your captain speaking.
Picture of TSM11
posted Hide Post
I can't believe no Rhode IslandAHs have chimed in. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Del's Lemonade! (only the original flavor though).
And who can resist the deliciousness of a Coffee Awful Awful!! (from Newport Creamery).

When I occasionally return to RI I make a point of ALWAYS hitting Del’s Lemonade in Wakefield, (actually EVERY Del's stand I see) and Champlin’s Seafood in Narragansett. Champlin’s has the BEST LobstAH Rolls!! In fact, Champlin’s ROCKS for all of your fresh, local seafood needs – especially if you have to wait for the Block Island ferry. Eek

Lots of folks like Clam ChowdaH. Personally, I’m not a fan.
And since I usually try to avoid hi carb foods, Clam Cakes aren’t really on my list of acceptable foods, but one of these days I hope to get Rotndad up there so he can sample the merchandise. He’s a native Floridian who loves Hush Puppies, so I’m thinking he’ll LOVE Clam Cakes. Hope so!

A hearty Thank You to the OP for starting this yummy trek down MMMmmemory lane. Smile

*** Oh and I forgot to mention that IIRC, you can actually get a Lobster Roll at the McDonalds in Wakefield. AND it's GOOD !
Not sure they still sell them there, but they did at one point.

I'm with Rotndad what's your excuse.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 423 | Location: Tampa Bay Florida | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NC and thought fried okra was a staple everywhere. Got to VA and found out 3/4 of the people I met either never had it or hated it. I grow my own and gorge on it at every opportunity. Even prep a few gallon freezer bags and save some to hold me over til I can plant again in the spring.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I grow my own and gorge on it at every opportunity. Even prep a few gallon freezer bags and save some to hold me over til I can plant again in the spring.

I am with you......I grew up eating fried okra. In fact, I just finished prepping my current crop okra seeds for next spring's planting. My good friends from NC get real friendly with me when the plants are really producing. I do a lot more on the grill these days, as I don't fry much of anything anymore.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I grew up in NC and thought fried okra was a staple everywhere. Got to VA and found out 3/4 of the people I met either never had it or hated it. I grow my own and gorge on it at every opportunity. Even prep a few gallon freezer bags and save some to hold me over til I can plant again in the spring.
My mom grew and prepared fried okra when I was a kid. I don't care for it, though. (I will accept some sliced okra in a soup--not boiled to slimy, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm from St. Louis and always have a nostalgic place in my heart and stomach for St. Louis Pork Steaks. You get the fatiest and cheapest pork butt steaks, sear them on your grill and then continually baste them or cook them in a pan on your grill immersed in Maull's BBQ sauce and a can of your oldest beer in your fridge.

I've grown fond of Iowa Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwiches.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'm from St. Louis and always have a nostalgic place in my heart and stomach for St. Louis Pork Steaks. You get the fatiest and cheapest pork butt steaks, sear them on your grill and then continually baste them or cook them in a pan on your grill immersed in Maull's BBQ sauce and a can of your oldest beer in your fridge.

I've grown fond of Iowa Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwiches.

OH yes!!! My new next door neighbor just moved here from St Louis. He made another trip there and back and had his home St Louis butcher cut him a dozen St Louis style pork steaks.

I had no idea, never heard of them before, but wow they were delicious.

He says he just can't get our local butchers to cut them right.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm from NYC. It's bagels, pizza, and Chinese for me.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Home state NY. Bronx, Cheesecake, Pizza, Bacon, egg and cheese on kaiser roll or an onion bagel. Current Lancaster, PA. Whoopie pies, soft pretzels bigger than your head and Peeps.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

I'm from NYC. It's bagels, pizza, and Chinese for me.
Yup. Nothing is quite as good as a bagel right out of the oven when you're on your way home after a late night. I never made it home with a full dozen.

Chinese? Oh, yeah! I dated a Eurasian girl. She took me to places in Chinatown where I was the only Caucasian, the menus had no English, the waiters did not speak English. She ordered, I had no idea what I was eating, but it was GOOD!

And New York pizza? That is the real deal. There's nothing like it.

Oh, my location shows as Florida, but I was born in Brooklyn and called the greater metropolitan NYC area "home" for the first 30 years or so of my life. NYC, Westchester suburbs, and NJ.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSlaug:

I’m originally from WV.

Funny, my wife is from WV. We have to go to Sheetz every time I go see my in laws.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
9 pages,,

wow,

in VA,, my absolute favorite local thing,,

Country Ham, Smithfield (which now may be done in NC,,,)

a good salty slice of country goodness sliced wafer thin on a hot biscuit,, or (another local win) a Ukrops white house roll

yum

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post