SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Foods from Your home State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foods from Your home State Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rotndad:
I am a Florida Native so the ^^^ Mullet reminds me of going out after school on Friday cast netting mullet, cleaning and smoking them late into the night on Friday and continuing on Satueday,and then selling them on the Corner of US 301 and Lumsden Rd (Tampa) on Saturday and Sunday for a $1 a fillet and making BANK (moslty from the DY's).

From the Tampa area the ORIGINAL Cuban sandwich from Liborios Cuban Cafe, fried plantans, cuban roast pork with yellow rice and black beans also from Liborios, Ruskin Tomatoes and pretty much any Cuban food, grouper sandwich, and we can't forget Dauphin...We had to rename it Mahi-Mahi because the DY's thought we were eating flipper. Big Grin

One of my personal favorites is fresh strawberries from Plant City, Florida in heavy cream. It's a yearly indulgance for me.[/QUOTE

Yep, this pretty much nails it! The Cubans the strawberries the seafood. Man, we got it good!

I’m originally from Rochester, NY area a LONG time ago....it would be the white hots. Terrific dogs. Still order them on occasion, a real treat.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rotndad:
I am a Florida Native so the ^^^ Mullet reminds me of going out after school on Friday cast netting mullet, cleaning and smoking them late into the night on Friday and continuing on Satueday,and then selling them on the Corner of US 301 and Lumsden Rd (Tampa) on Saturday and Sunday for a $1 a fillet and making BANK (moslty from the DY's).

From the Tampa area the ORIGINAL Cuban sandwich from Liborios Cuban Cafe, fried plantans, cuban roast pork with yellow rice and black beans also from Liborios, Ruskin Tomatoes and pretty much any Cuban food, grouper sandwich, and we can't forget Dauphin...We had to rename it Mahi-Mahi because the DY's thought we were eating flipper. Big Grin

One of my personal favorites is fresh strawberries from Plant City, Florida in heavy cream. It's a yearly indulgance for me.[/QUOTE

Yep, this pretty much nails it! The Cubans the strawberries the seafood. Man, we got it good!

I’m originally from Rochester, NY area a LONG time ago....it would be the white hots. Terrific dogs. Still order them on occasion, a real treat.

Love Cuban Sandwiches/Media Noche, well most Cuban food, and grilled Mahi Mahi.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh caught albacore tuna. Cut into 1/8"+ slices, rolled up like a cinnamon bun. One piece of bacon wrapped around the outside, held together with a toothpick. BBQ'd for about 10 minutes. First time I had this, I ate 12 of these, they were so good. That is about 3 lbs. worth, and my belly was killing me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Deep fried cheese curds (Wis.).

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That (the tuna) sounds GOOD!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
VTail

Looks like a good list of place to visit in FL
for some good ol Cracker Food..

https://www.florida-backroads-...ker-restaurants.html

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Lingcod does it for me.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Fresh cut, fried okra. Best stuff in the world.
Fried potatoes.
Fried sliced tomatoes.
Fried sliced cucumbers.
(We're talking "fried in lard" here.)

What state? Oklahoma
Spelling of potatoes? Check the Idaho auto tag for the spelling.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
That (the tuna) sounds GOOD!

I was stuffed after eating six of these, probably 1/4 lb. each. Like a wolf who cannot stop killing, I came back and ate 6 more!

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Lingcod does it for me.

I have caught lots of lingcod, they are super for fish and chips. However fresh albacore is 5x better. Really, it is that good. May go albacore fishing again this weekend, weather permitting. Caught 16 albies a month ago, 20 miles offshore.

-c1steve

posted Hide Post
Not sure. There's such a mixture of ethnicities around that you can get most anything.
Pizza, sandwiches, BBQ(Texas is King tho), mexican and so on. I couldn't pick a favorite honestly.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, there is really not enough room in this forum but I will try to list the foods I love from Louisiana where I was raised.

Gumbo
Chicken and Sausage
Duck and Sausage
Crab
Shrimp

Jambaylaya
Shrimp & Ham
Pork and Sausage
Chicken and Sausage
Any kind of wild game (duck, rabbit, squirrel, wild pig, dove, quail, snipe) & Sausage

Creole
Shrimp
Crawfish

Fish Courtbouillon (catfish, sac au lait, drum)
Oysters on the halfshell
Boudin
Natchitoches meat pies
Fried frog legs
Grits and Grillades
Cochon de lait (fire roasted suckling pig)
Po-boys
Muffalettas

The list goes on and on......

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in West Texas, Odessa to be exact and chicken fried venison, mashed potatoes and gravy, with corn was always a staple. But my second love is real Mexican food, and some Tex-Mex.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Here in "West River" (west of the Missouri River in South Dakota) I'd say:
--buffalo
--Angus beef
--Native American fry bread
(official State bread: https://statesymbolsusa.org/sy...ure-symbol/fry-bread)

quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:

We called them coneys in the Syracuse area which is famous for Heid's drive-in in Liverpool which serves them right. Smile
But whether you call them coneys, snappy grillers, or white hots, they're great. Best are from Hofmann in upstate NY and can be mail ordered. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
Fresh cut, fried okra. Best stuff in the world.

I agree, but that's the only way I'll eat okra. It's too slimy otherwise.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
From Kentucky...

Burgoo
Benedictine (Cucumber and Cream cheese spread)
Ale 8 One

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Florida boy here as well.

I can't disagree with the mullet, smoked fresh mullet is a tasty treat.

Cuban sandwiches are also a great way to fill up.

Stone crab has to be my favorite FL food though. Man oh man, I feel as though I could eat my weight in stone crab.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
VTail

Looks like a good list of place to visit in FL
for some good ol Cracker Food..

https://www.florida-backroads-...ker-restaurants.html
I have been to a couple on that list, both of them kind of touristy: Aunt Catfish in Port Orange, and Dixie Crossroads in the Space Coast area.

I will put Goodrich Seafood & Oyster in Oak Hill on my "to do" list. They are very close to one of my customers, Anchor Storage and Hardware, in Oak Hill.

There is a place in Apopka that should be on that list -- The Catfish Place. It's in the Greater Downtown Metropolitan area, very close to Porkie's BBQ.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I forgot Scachatta from ALessi's bakery ANYTHING from ALessi's bakery and I agree with stone crab too. Fresh scallops swordfish steaks, MAN! Florida has so much great grub to offer.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anthracite coal mining (hard Coal) area of Northeast Pennsylvania:

Kielbasa, fresh or smoked, Perogies and Potato pancakes. Food made with real Pork, beef, heavy cheese, whole milk, butter and fried in butter.

After eating a Polish meal, on a quiet night, you could hear your Arteries begin to clog.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post