SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Foods from Your home State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foods from Your home State Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, which contains a lot of tasty food. I put myself through college on the GI bill and sloughing soft crabs.

-"Bug on a Bun", a soft crab sandwich, preferably with a couple slices on Smithfield bacon and Po Boy sauce.

-Baked Rockfish fillet.

-Crab cake, made with claw meat and crackers.

-Crab bisque.

-Roasted oysters

-Fried oysters

Then down the Ocean we get..

-BBQ shrimp wrapped in bacon

-BBQ scallops wrapped in bacon, see Smithfield Station in Smithfield, VA.

-Stone crab claws

And some good hush puppies and corn on the cob...

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Up close to Lake Erie.
My favorite, Perch and then Walleye dinners.
Pierogis

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viva Nuevo Mexico.

Tamales
Green Chile
Chicken Green Chile Enchiladas
Grandma's homemade tortillas
Queso
Calabacitas
Chimayo Red
Carne Adovada
Green Chile Cheeseburgers
Papitas

yum.

Posts: 23 | Registered: September 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Southern Indiana is famous for hardshell cantaloupes and Jackson County watermelons, with good reason.

And I've never had homegrown tomatoes any better than the ones I grow.

Born in southern Kentucky and many claim Kentucky produces the finest salt cured country hams in the world.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Southern Indiana is famous for hardshell cantaloupes and Jackson County watermelons, with good reason.

And I've never had homegrown tomatoes any better than the ones I grow.

Born in southern Kentucky and many claim Kentucky produces the finest salt cured country hams in the world.

hardshell cantalope?

Va has a region that produces a mighty fine Cantalope,
just between So Boston and Danville off of US58, Turbeville Va,,

big lopes, very very tasty

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSM11:
I can't believe no Rhode IslandAHs have chimed in. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Del's Lemonade! (only the original flavor though).
And who can resist the deliciousness of a Coffee Awful Awful!! (from Newport Creamery).

When I occasionally return to RI I make a point of ALWAYS hitting Del’s Lemonade in Wakefield, (actually EVERY Del's stand I see) and Champlin’s Seafood in Narragansett. Champlin’s has the BEST LobstAH Rolls!! In fact, Champlin’s ROCKS for all of your fresh, local seafood needs – especially if you have to wait for the Block Island ferry. Eek

Lots of folks like Clam ChowdaH. Personally, I’m not a fan.
And since I usually try to avoid hi carb foods, Clam Cakes aren’t really on my list of acceptable foods, but one of these days I hope to get Rotndad up there so he can sample the merchandise. He’s a native Floridian who loves Hush Puppies, so I’m thinking he’ll LOVE Clam Cakes. Hope so!

A hearty Thank You to the OP for starting this yummy trek down MMMmmemory lane. Smile

*** Oh and I forgot to mention that IIRC, you can actually get a Lobster Roll at the McDonalds in Wakefield. AND it's GOOD !
Not sure they still sell them there, but they did at one point.

You forgot New York System Hot Weiners, which have nothing to do with New York. These are 3 inch dogs with finely ground chili sauce, mustard, onions and relish. Three of them at a time is the standard order.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Here's another good one from my state of PA:

Shoofly Pie!

I love the "wet bottom" version of this (as pictured), the "dry bottom" is more like a cake.

For those unfamiliar with it:

quote:

Shoofly pie is a molasses crumb cake baked in a pie crust. The primary ingredients of the filling are molasses, flour, brown sugar, egg, and water. The addition of a pie crust makes it easier for people to hold a piece in the hand while eating it.

It comes in two different versions: wet-bottom and dry-bottom. The dry-bottom version is baked until fully set and results in a more cake-like consistency throughout. The wet-bottom version is set like cake at the top where it was mixed in with the crumbs, but the very bottom is a stickier, gooier custard-like consistency.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't the "Wet bottom shoe fly pie" originate from Quakertown, PA?

My family moved a lot when I was very young. Many of the foods mentioned from the east coast brought back a lot of memories.

Since PASig mentioned cheese steaks, I'm partial towards the "Lehigh Valley version". A good roll, like Amoroso, with provolone cheese, thin sliced rib eye, marinara sauce, grilled onions, and dill pickle chips.

One time, I stopped at a place near Philly that called this an "Italian Style" that didn't have the pickles, but added pepperoni slices. Wow, very good!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
NYC
Growing up in the upper Manhattan projects:

Pizza (of course)
Sabarett kraut dog
Knishes, with spicy brown mustard
Pasteles, Puerto Rican

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Come on, 9 pages and no Texan mentioned this?

Fletcher’s Original State Fair Corny Dogs

This ain't your store bought in the freezer section crap.
This is the real deal.

Fletcher's history

Preferably with a draft Shiner or 3..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philly

Scrapple - cut thin
Cheesesteak
Pizza
Butter cake
Pork roll egg and cheese on a bagel

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
NYC dollar slice pizza and bacon egg and cheese on a roll with regular coffee.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post