SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Foods from Your home State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foods from Your home State Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Shoo-Fly pie
Opera fudge
Pot-pie - Not what you might think
Scrapple
Lebanon Bologna

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Middle America, near KC, MO. Too many to list, but especially mom’s fried chicken, most every Sunday dinner – dinner was a noon meal in that part of the country. Also pot roast, and a humble, but delicious big bowl of garden grown navy beans.

Dessert – mom’s devils float. A dense thin, brownie-like chocolate cake floating atop melted fudge, with Jersey cow cream poured over it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For WESTERN Pennsylvania it is the Primanti's sandwich.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
New Orleans

Real French bread for making real po-boys
Abundant fresh “American” seafood from the Gulf and the Bayou
McKenzies bakery(out of business now) anything they sold
Tastee Donuts (out of business) best doughnuts
Roy Rogers Roast Beef (out of business) real roast beef sliced thin per order. And the fixin bar with real au juice beef sauce and super thinly sliced white onions.
Real “snow” snow balls. NOT snow cones
Drive thru Daiquiri shops

Needless to say when back home it’s a must to have a po-boy, seafood and a snow ball. And a drive thru daiquiri.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for someone from New England or Pennsylvania to mention Whoopie Pie and then argue over where it actually originated.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
South Carolina -

Most folks have had or at least heard of Frogmore stew/Lowcountry Boil. A lesser known lowcountry dish is Chicken Bog, sometimes called Chicken Perlo. Chicken Bog is simple to make and there's nothing spectacular about it. Just basic comfort food. Makes a ton and reheats pretty well.

Chicken Bog - recipe varies by family, but the basic recipe follows:
  • 1 whole, large chicken
  • onion
  • couple ribs of celery
  • couple cloves of garlic
  • unsalted butter
  • 1 lb smoked sausage (I like kielbasa, a friend uses andouille)
  • 4 cups long grain rice - must use a good rice such as Carolina Gold
  • salt & pepper

Quarter the onion, chop celery into large pieces, peel and crush garlic; add onion, celery, and garlic to large stock pot with the chicken. Add enough water to cover chicken--you'll want to end up with at least 8 cups of broth, so you may need to add water as the chicken cooks. Add salt and pepper (or whole peppercorns). Stir and bring to simmer; let simmer until chicken is cooked. Don't cook at a hard boil.

When chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bird and shred; toss the skin and bones. Set the meat aside.

Strain the broth from the pot through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and set aside.

Wipe out pot (or use a new one) and melt a little butter. Slice the sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to butter. Brown over medium-low heat. Once browned, add 8 cups of the broth you set aside to the pot and bring to a rolling boil. If needed, add more salt and pepper to taste. Add the rice and stir. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Add the shredded chicken and additional broth if necessary. (Some like a drier bog and some like more liquid) Serve right away.
  •  
    Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    I'm waiting for someone from New England or Pennsylvania to mention Whoopie Pie and then argue over where it actually originated.

Don't care where it originated, as long as it terminates in my belly. Big Grin

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
    posted Hide Post
    We have had beef cattle all my life.
    Ribeye, cooked medium (or less) with salt.
    And sweet tea.
    Mom & Dad went broke in the dairy business. I can remember when we were so poor, all we had to eat was steak. Big Grin

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    Beef - and lots of it - Montana

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Seafood...Dungenous crab, petrale, sand dabs, rock fish
    Fresh produce year round....strawberries, artichokes, lettuce variety, tomatoes, citrus, apples, avocados, etc,

Burritos, the big ones that can put you to sleep found in SF.
    Fish Tacos, San Diego/Ensenata-style
    Chinese Food, specifically Cantonese. You can go to LA for Shanghai and other regions but, Bay Area is hard to beat for Cantonese. Only place comparable is Vancouver BC.
    Thai & Korean....LA is hard to beat, big range of choices: high-end to local hang-outs.
    Non-Southern Italian, many more N.Italian restaurants are available and avoiding the stereotypes, climate match helps.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Brisket!
    Nobody does it better than Texas. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    My take as a now-38-year transplant: in Texas, chicken-fried steak is sort of like Wienerschnitzel in Germany--a constant food that can be counted on to be the same everywhere and a dependable dish to order.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned
    posted Hide Post
    Beet Borscht with Sour Cream

Matzoh Ball Soup

^^^^ The simple pleasures. Smile

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinnybass:
    Shoo-Fly pie
    Opera fudge
    Pot-pie - Not what you might think
    Scrapple
    Lebanon Bologna

I assume you're from PA originally? All are very familiar to me except for the fudge, I've never heard of that. Is it a brand or a kind of fudge?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RAMIUS:
    Scrapple all day.

You're damn straight! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and with lots of ketchup.

What's your go-to brand? Habbersett? Hatfield? Leidy's? Kunzler?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    @ PASig, Originally from Lebanon, in the heart of PA Dutch country.

https://wertzcandies.com/shop/...-creams/opera-fudge/

Opera fudge is a type of local candy. A buttery, creamy filling dipped in dark chocolate coating. It's RICH & delicious. You'll be able to find some online & could ship it now that summer is over.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    Chicago deep dish pizza

Chicago-style hot dogs (and no ketchup!)

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Only one right answer here - crabcake sandwich.

Next would be a corned beef sandwich.

After that, scrapple/egg/cheese sandwich.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    pintos or white beans, onions and cornbread.
    OR
    Fried taters and onions. Ramps.

Poor folks got poor folks ways.
    “ Montani Semper Liberi”
    Mountaineers are always free.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Constable
    posted Hide Post
    ZERO truly outstanding food for Montana.

Flop a big piece of beef on their plate, good or bad and folks here are satisfied.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post