SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Foods from Your home State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foods from Your home State Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
List your favorite home state recipe/food staple, none of those stupid maps where people vote, just real local folks ideas on whats good.

Originally from the Bluegrass State, lots of good eats there, and I know we have several KY brethren here on the board, so I'll leave out some of the others for those folk to post.

For me the childhood memory is a Fried Bologna Sandwich, simple, tasty, hearty, satisfying.

Anyone with KY background knows it starts with Kerns White Bread, real beef bologna, if desired an onion, and real Mayo. You know to add Grippos, Hussmans or Charles chips, a dill pickle spear and a ice cold small bottle of soda or sweet tea...

Fried Baloney Sandwich Recipe: Ingredients:

* 2 Slices Baloney, Thick cut, each slice lightly scored at the noon, 3pm, 6pm and 9 pm positions {prevents cupping of the meat}

* 2 Slices Bread, White * Onion, Sweet, Thinly sliced

* Mayonnaise, enough for spreading

Method:

* Heat cast iron pan til good and hot

* Place baloney in un-oiled pan

* Cook til nicely browned

* Spread a skift of mayonnaise on each slice of white bread

* Add thinly sliced sweet onion, some folks like it on the top, some like it on the bottom. Me I’m a top but if you’re a bottom that’s alright too.

* Add fried baloney

* Compact everything into the classic sandwich format

* Voila! Now you’re ready to eat one the fried baloney sandwich.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Pork roll, egg, and cheese. (New Jersey)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said: /\
New Jersey had a Great breakfast sandwich- Fried Taylor ham, fried egg, American cheese on a fresh Kaiser roll.

They were delicious and sold every where.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Smoked salmon and Dungeness crabs.

Oh, and tartar sauce is the appropriate condiment for French fries. When I moved here, I went to Bob's Burgers and Brew in Lynden. The fries came with a bowl of tartar sauce. I shrugged my shoulders and tried it. It's pretty good.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My adopted home state (Texas). Before moving here in the 90s, I thought BBQ was cooking at medium to high temps on a gas grill and smothering meat with BBQ sauce.

Brisket is my favorite Texas food. It's a huge hunk of meat so 99% of the time I get it at restaurants instead of cooking myself for 8 to 14 hours. James Beard Foundation Award winner, Aaron Franklin, from Austin, Texas, has a great video on smoking brisket:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
In western NY it's gotta be beef on weck. (Popularity of chicken wings originated there also)

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Cherry pie from Traverse City and fresh caught salmon out of the Great Lakes

I put the salmon in a pan with a little salt and lemon slices, skin down. Give it about 3 min or less and eat. Same thing with a grill except I lay down some tin foil under the fish.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
From the Philly region of Pennsylvania:

Roast pork/sharp provolone/broccoli rabe sandwiches:

Cheesesteaks:

Hoagies:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Brisket is pretty dang good if done by a skilled person.

I’ll also add good homemade tamales with chili con carne.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Being from New Jersey it would be
1 Pizza
2 Subs
3 Pork roll egg and cheese
4 Good Chinese food
5 Buttered Knipps hard roll
6 Jersey tomatoes
7 Bagels
8 Good Kosher deli
9 Fresh sea food right off the boat
10 Did I mention Pizza
11 Mom and Pop sub shops for the subs.
12 And of course Moms home cooking

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
So many, but first to mind was either fried clams or clam chowder. Massachusetts

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pasties and Cudighi Sausage!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Born in Brooklyn NY.

I really miss the fresh-baked bagels from the little mom & pop bagel shops.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Scrapple all day.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
From where I grew up, CA

Mission-Style Carne Asada burrito
Double Cheeseburger from Tommys
really good sourdough bread
Martini

In my real home, Texas

Brisket
Queso dip and good tortilla chips
Buttermilk pie
Frito Pie with good Texas chili
Kolaches

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I live in Denver. Not sure what my Fav is, but an say for sure it's not Rocky Mountain Oysters nor Denver Omelette.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my Home state of KY (Louisville): the Hot Brown. An open-faced sandwich of turkey and bacon, covered in Mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the bread is crisp and the sauce begins to brown.

From my adopted state of NC. Eastern Carolina BBQ. A big pile of pulled pork BBQ, a bottle full of vinegar based sauce, a side of slaw, and basket full of hush puppies with some Texas Pete (made in NC) hot sauce. Yum.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
In western NY it's gotta be beef on weck. (Popularity of chicken wings originated there also)

Exactly

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma Frito Chili Pie.

(Not actually a pie)

Chili, Fritos, onion, shredded cheese, dollop of sour cream.

Optional: jalapeños, Hatch Chilies, hot sauce.

The chili should already have chopped bacon in it.

OH, and the Oklahoma Onion Burger, from the Great Depression years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From KY-

Burgoo!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post