Favorite Foods from Your home State

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7350077164

October 08, 2019, 12:45 AM
goose5
Favorite Foods from Your home State
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
apple butter is big in Virginia. Along, of course, with ocuntry ham and biscuits.

My mother in law has a friend that sends her country ham a couple times a year. She's sees to it I get half of it. My mother in law is the best.

October 08, 2019, 03:56 AM
Plasteek
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Growing up in Alabama:

BBQ
Corn bread (in a cast iron skillet)
Black eyed peas
Fried Okra
Catfish
Banana pudding

When I moved to SE KY (Appalachia):
Soup beans and cornbread
Are you one of them fat middle aged gringo ? Roll Eyes
October 08, 2019, 04:36 AM
OldMick
Chicago dogs, man I miss 'em

Deep dish pizza - Lou Malnati's is my favorite.
October 08, 2019, 05:33 AM
matai
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Crab cakes baby!

When you go out of state to a restaurant and see "Maryland style crab cakes", then you know to avoid them like the plague.

Agreed, just moved to Northern Virginia and have found both Maryland crab cakes and crab very disappointing. I did have some excellent crab cakes in Annapolis but they were made with Pacific crab, something I don't think they like to admit.

Being from the Seattle suburbs I miss good salmon. However I grew up on teriyaki, Thai and Indian food as my "meat and potatoes.". Haven't found good Thai or teriyaki yet here.
October 08, 2019, 06:59 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

hot giardiniera?
Oh yeah, good stuff!

I mince a bit of this up and mix it with tuna salad for a good sandwich.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
October 08, 2019, 07:04 AM
DJ_Boston
I'm from Maine- nothing beats a plain boiled lobster. Now i am in FL, the spiny's are no where near as good.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar
October 08, 2019, 07:14 AM
henryaz

I don't really have a "home" state, having moved around a bit. But my overall favorite is North Carolina's BBQ and Brunswick stew. Second would be real southern fried chicken, fried in lard in a cast iron pan.

When in doubt, mumble
October 08, 2019, 07:52 AM
MRBTX
Chili
Tamales
Tex-Mex
German food- New Braunfels, Fredericksburg.
Fresh fish and shrimp from the Gulf.
Whataburger
October 08, 2019, 08:00 AM
MikeinNC
I’m from Tampa. For me it’s a real Cuban sandwich and mullet- fried or smoked. My grand dad used to fry ‘em up in the garage...mmmmmm

In Eastern NC it’s BBQ(pork)- smoked or cooked all night. They use a vinegar based sauce...and it’s smack your momma good.

NC is also know for its white liquor or moonshine, don’t ask how I know this.

Here in Texas- it’s BBQ (beef- the only true bbq) Brisket. Smoked all night and done with a simple salt and pepper rub, doesn’t get any better...problem is you can’t get a small brisket, so we eat it when we’re out or when family comes to visit.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
October 08, 2019, 08:06 AM
gibby29
Where I’m from, we don’t really have a regional dish. Maybe Cincinnati chili but I miss specific restaurants more.

I was home for a funereal in August and had Luigi’s and Primos Deli but no Swensons or Wally Waffles.

That’s the only thing I miss about the northeast, the little regional burgs like the little Italys and Polish areas.
October 08, 2019, 08:13 AM
Outnumbered
Beer-battered fish fry, bratwursts, cheese curds, and beer! Wisconsin!
October 08, 2019, 11:43 AM
HRK
To add a few more

Mutton From Owensboro

Halls Snappy Beer Cheese - Halls on the River, and the catfish there is damn good.

Pork BBQ from Starnes in Paducah

Columbia Special with steak fries and a Diego salad from Columbias Steak House, Downtown location only...

Agree with Cincinnati Chili at Skyline, 5 way and a couple of chili dogs, and yes you can get it without beans, but I like beans...

October 08, 2019, 11:48 AM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by Plasteek:
quote:
Growing up in Alabama:

BBQ
Black eyed peas
Fried Okra
Catfish
Banana pudding

Soup beans and cornbread

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
October 08, 2019, 11:54 AM
RAMIUS
I love a good Milk Steak from time to time.
October 08, 2019, 12:01 PM
erj_pilot
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
For WESTERN Pennsylvania it is the Primanti's sandwich.
Yessir, Mr. Chuck!! I made it a REQUIREMENT to have a Primanti Brother's every time I had a Pittsburgh layover. Hell yes!!

As for the representatives from Texas, I think we forgot to add something to the list...

Chicken Fried Steak

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
October 08, 2019, 12:34 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Plasteek:
quote:
Growing up in Alabama:

BBQ
Black eyed peas
Fried Okra
Catfish
Banana pudding

Soup beans and cornbread
Listen to me very carefully- Mind your manners. If you don't how to behave in a public forum, don't post here. This is the second time in two days that I've had to address your posts. Any more rudeness from you and you're gone. You've got 'troll' written all over you. Cut it out.
October 08, 2019, 01:18 PM
slabsides45
In Mississippi, it'd have to be Mississippi Farm Raised Catfish. Fried of course. With sweet cole slaw and a big ol' glass of sweet tea, and if you have a good recipe for jalepeno tartar sauce, bring it with you (and a bag of ice).

Oh, and Vardaman sweet potatoes, however you like 'em.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
October 08, 2019, 02:07 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

hot giardiniera?
Oh yeah, good stuff!

You are a man of refined taste. I have put chopped up jalapenos in tuna salad, but am going to try using giardiniera instead. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
October 08, 2019, 02:33 PM
V-Tail
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

hot giardiniera?
Oh yeah, good stuff!

You are a man of refined taste. I have put chopped up jalapenos in tuna salad, but am going to try using giardiniera instead. Razz
For the ultimate tuna sandwich, use some giardiniera and layer a slice of genoa salami on it. Duke's mayonnaise, of course.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
October 08, 2019, 02:52 PM
10X-Shooter
Pulled or chopped pork BBQ, baked Mac and cheese, Brunswick Stew, cold banana pudding, and sweet iced tea or Coca-Cola. It can be found in almost any town in Georgia. Johnnys in Gainesville isn’t half bad.