SIGforum
Favorite Foods from Your home State

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7350077164

October 07, 2019, 01:02 PM
BigCity
Favorite Foods from Your home State
Crab cakes baby!

When you go out of state to a restaurant and see "Maryland style crab cakes", then you know to avoid them like the plague.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

October 07, 2019, 01:06 PM
sigalert
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Chicago deep dish pizza

Chicago-style hot dogs (and no ketchup!)

You forgot the Italian Beef!!!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson
October 07, 2019, 01:16 PM
fpuhan
U. S. states only?

My childhood was spent in Vienna, Austria.

Vienna is best known perhaps for its baked confections: Apfel (apple) Strudel, and Kaiserschmarrn (literally: the King's "mess"), a mixture of ripped up pancakes, plum pudding, raisins and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Of course, there's Wiener Schnitzel, tafelspitz, melange (one of the many types of Viennese coffee), Sacher torte, and an Austrian twist on the Hungarian goulash soup.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
October 07, 2019, 01:18 PM
HRK
quote:
U. S. states only?

My childhood was spent in Vienna, Austria.

Looks good, home is where you grew up, so anywhere in the world works...

October 07, 2019, 01:48 PM
erj_pilot
Born in Louisiana, Texas is "home", so I'll share from both places...

Louisiana - There's a place in Kenner called "The Harbor". Hands down, they have the best seafood gumbo and po boys I've ever had. PERIOD. Add onto that a little local hole-in-the-wall place in Shreveport called Jan's River Cafe. The best...THE BEST...fried catfish ever. EVER.

Texas - Widely known for it's TexMex cuisine, there's a fantastic chain of restaurants called Pappasito's. I just about killed myself one day with their beef fajitas and bacon-wrapped shrimp. Tied for first with that are their cheese & onion enchiladas. Don't know what it is...maybe the chili gravy...but they just can't be beat. Hands down.

And I didn't even address the BBQ...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
October 07, 2019, 02:07 PM
cne32507
Mississippi:

Lots of local vegetables in the deep south 1950's.

FRESH field peas (with cornbread).

Sorghum Molasses or local cane syrup (with cornbread).

My favorite was Muscadine jelly on toasted cornbread from the wild grapes my dad & I picked in the country. Mom made the jelly the next day or I would eat all the grapes.

Did I mention cornbread?
October 07, 2019, 02:10 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Scrapple all day.

You're damn straight! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and with lots of ketchup.

What's your go-to brand? Habbersett? Hatfield? Leidy's? Kunzler?

My go to store bought is Habbersett, but my butcher makes some real nice scrapple too.

I love getting people from out of the area to try it. They always fall in love with it and quickly forget the animal parts used as ingredients.
October 07, 2019, 02:17 PM
FN in MT
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
What he said: /\
New Jersey had a Great breakfast sandwich- Fried Taylor ham, fried egg, American cheese on a fresh Kaiser roll.

They were delicious and sold every where.

Amen!

Heres a Montana guy at Long Beach Island, surf fishing...with the above mentioned breakfast treat and a go cup of Wa-Wa coffee.

October 07, 2019, 02:29 PM
PASig
quote:
New Jersey had a Great breakfast sandwich- Fried Taylor ham, fried egg, American cheese on a fresh Kaiser roll.

I believe the northern half of NJ (really part of NY) calls it Taylor Ham and the southern half of NJ (part of Philadelphia region) calls it Porkroll.

It was always Porkroll to me growing up.

October 07, 2019, 02:29 PM
HayesGreener
I grew up in Illinois. My Dad raised USDA prime beef, and I wish I could say it is the steaks, but my Mom would take a Prime steak and turn it into shoeleather so it is not that. She got fried chicken and rabbit and squirrel and mashed potatoes and gravy right, so there's that.

I did go to the State Fair every year, where the corn dog was invented. I found myself looking forward to the corn dogs every year and even though I moved away 50 years ago still crave those state fair hot dogs.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
October 07, 2019, 02:30 PM
braillediver
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
6 Jersey tomatoes

New Jersey had the best produce. Really.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
October 07, 2019, 02:57 PM
GT-40DOC
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Born in Louisiana,

Louisiana - There's a place in Kenner called "The Harbor". Hands down, they have the best seafood gumbo and po boys I've ever had. PERIOD..

I know the place very well!!! When in season, the best "mudbugs" with potatoes and corn(order them by the pound).......and of course, a pitcher of cold beer!!!!! Heaven on Earth!!
October 07, 2019, 03:12 PM
ridewv
I don't believe WV is noted for great food but two that come to mind here in northern WV are pepperoni rolls from Country Club Bakery in Fairmont https://www.countryclubbakery.net and Pepperoni Buns with hot peppers, cheese, and sauce from Colasessanos. http://www.colasessanos.com

And of course buckwheat cakes which I had for breakfast this morning actually.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
October 07, 2019, 04:28 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Chicago deep dish pizza

Chicago-style hot dogs (and no ketchup!)

You forgot the Italian Beef!!!

with or without hot giardiniera? Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
October 07, 2019, 04:33 PM
Ryanp225
From Colorado so I know exactly what micro brew to pair with your green chili and bull testicles.
October 07, 2019, 04:44 PM
BigJoe
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I don't believe WV is noted for great food but two that come to mind here in northern WV are pepperoni rolls from Country Club Bakery in Fairmont https://www.countryclubbakery.net and Pepperoni Buns with hot peppers, cheese, and sauce from Colasessanos. http://www.colasessanos.com

And of course buckwheat cakes which I had for breakfast this morning actually.

My hometown of Fairmont, the pepperoni rolls. And Colasessanos pizza, before they went commercial.

Plus I would add Yann's hot dogs. Folks line up at 6am, and I think he sells like 1,200, then he shuts down.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!
October 07, 2019, 04:45 PM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

I believe the northern half of NJ (really part of NY) calls it Taylor Ham and the southern half of NJ (part of Philadelphia region) calls it Porkroll.

It was always Porkroll to me growing up.

Yup, that seems to be the way it is.

Living the Dream
October 07, 2019, 04:47 PM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

Amen!

Heres a Montana guy at Long Beach Island, surf fishing...with the above mentioned breakfast treat and a go cup of Wa-Wa coffee.

The best surf fishing season is almost here. The ocean is still a little warm. It needs to drop a few degrees. LBI in the Fall is a great place to be.

Living the Dream
October 07, 2019, 04:49 PM
gocatgo
East Tennessee boiled peanuts!!! Mmmm!

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.
October 07, 2019, 04:59 PM
BamaJeepster
Growing up in Alabama:

BBQ
Corn bread (in a cast iron skillet)
Black eyed peas
Fried Okra
Catfish
Banana pudding

When I moved to SE KY (Appalachia):
Soup beans and cornbread

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams