SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Front wheel drive and high HP/Torque
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front wheel drive and high HP/Torque Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've had RWD cars for the past 25 years or so. 300ZX and GS300. Reasonably good HP and torque but haven't had any tire spin problems - RWD and whatever transmission intelligence has kept tire spinning to a minimum.

RWD cars do seem more expensive than FWD. I no longer want to spend more than $20-25k for a new car. This mostly limits me to FWD I think (except for maybe Subaru? not sure how much they cost).

But, I want some decent pickup. I'm used to 200+ HP with plenty of torque; I probably don't need much more than that as I've never really felt wanting for more.

I've had FWD cars before; I'm used front wheel spin for these cars (again, long time ago), especially when turning from a standing start - this is necessary for certain roads and traffic conditions. Today, FWD cars (ie - V6 Camry, Maxima, others) seem to have decent HP / torque. How they avoid front tire spin? Do they limit torque from a standing start so that pickup is slow but you don't spin the wheels? Is the HP / torque only really beneficial once you're actually moving at a certain speed or higher? Or is it usable for standing starts as well?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have had a Few VW GTI. that were reprogrammed to close to 270 and the car is very drive able. VW does have great traction control but it also could be turned off and had a Launch mode that made it take off better than dropping the clutch.
Go drive one stock, you will like it. Then if you buy call APR and add 50 hp and better MPG.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Major +1 on the GTI

200-220 is the limit for me when it comes to FWD

Latest MKVIIs have front limited slips from the factory that are not just selective application of front brakes.

My wife has had her MKVI GTI for 5 years and 50K + and it has been very reliable and very enjoyable to drive. No modifications, just a second set of wheels with snow tires.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I had an 850 Turbo, a '94, I bought for $3,000 in 2007. 225 HP, and plenty torque. Beat the snot out of it, sold it in 2010 after the condenser failed with 171k on it, for $700.

They are easy cars to work on, parts are not outrageous, and when you fix something, it stays fixed.

It had a locking differential (¿something?), and with all that weight over the front wheels, I do not remember much spin.

But I agree that the boost came after you were already moving, not for 0-40.

The Subarus have Sport Shift, which makes you feel like you're taking off with their Symmetrical All Wheel Drive when you ride 1st gear up to 45mph, but the new loaner I recently got seemed plasticy on the inside.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Camry...I would rather drive my own two feet. Get a GTI like mentioned. Little to no torque steer and much faster then the 200hp numbers suggest. A brand new leftover will be close to your $25k ceiling in 2 door with a manual transmission.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Mazda Speed3?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Mostly torque vectoring or slight braking of the inside wheel in turns. GM has developed what they refer to as HiPer Strut suspension along with Ford's RevoKnuckle split the steering and suspension functions from each other so more of the tire patch stays on the ground while going around a corner.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how much technology has done for that. My 90 SHO would torque steer you into a ditch if you weren't careful, now cars have 300hp and act tame.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Not considering make/models yet. But mostly wondering if HP/torque specs are meaningless for FWD from a a cold start; useful only when the car is already moving (ie - getting from 40 to 70mph).

For FWD, is the car torque limited to avoid wheel spin? I'm guessing yes. So higher HP/torque numbers don't really mean much for standing starts, right?

If I care about standing starts, then it might be better to stick w/ RWD and/or AWD?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You can spin tires with fwd, even the Prius could do it.

The volt with almost 300 ft-lbs can easily light em up.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Jeremy Clarkson put the issues with front wheel drive on higher performance cars more succinctly than anyone else.
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong."

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Why must you buy new??
Nothing wrong with a couple years old. Not sure what you are looking for but the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang will be in your price range and a hoot at 310hp with room to grow.

I just bought my 1st FWD vehicle with 266hp and there is not much torque steer though it is a heavy front ended minivan.
If gets along for it's size. Body roll is a bit heavy but I will likely be adding front sway bar, front strut tower brace, lower frame brace, and air bag system for the rear springs.
Yes, Megan racing does actually make all these things for the Toyota Sienna. If I could afford to drop it an inch or two there are even a couple of companies making coilover kits but a lowered suspension would not be nice on the road to the gun club.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My daily driver is 2012 Toyota Camry SE V6. 268 hp with a little stiffer suspension than the other Camry models. With the traction control off it will easily break loose. Traction control on all I get is a chirp on dry pavement. When the wheels spin in the winter, I can hear the ABS kick in (I assume that's what they're doing to keep the wheel spin down on dry pavement as well).

While I wouldn't call it a sports car, it is fun to drive, big enough to comfortably carry 4 adults with luggage and has been very reliable (I've put on 75K with no issues whatsoever).

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I had a Dodge SRT-4 for years. If you slammed it from a stand still. It suffered from severe wheel hop. Fun car to drive. It was surprisingly fast from a roll. But from a stand still no thank you: I'll take a rwd any day.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I've had several high-powered FWD cars in my lifetime. From high-rpm dragstrip launches to road course track days to daily short commutes.
The latest is a 290hp '12 Maxima. The DSC keeps tirespin to a minimum. The car just goes.
Anything with a viscous (or similar) LSD in the transaxle, plus DSC, will be good to go. It all really comes down to tires, tires, tires.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a base Mustang V6 for about $23K. Sweet ride even in base trim.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I think my V6 Accord has 278hp but at any rate, it really surprised me at how quickly it gets to speeds. I've had a fair share of muscle in the past to include vettes and Mustang GT and as I mentioned, it will surprise you. Especially on ramp to speed on the x-ways. I'm impressed at Honda being my first.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2004 Acura TL. 270 HP 6 speed manual. It had a limited slip dif.

Fun car but torque steer! I enjoyed the car but hard acceleration from a stop you had to be prepared.

From what I have read most new cars computer management controls use reduced power/braking to control torque steer.

Current drive is a 5.0 Mustang RWD

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
i have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

I've done enough work on it to run 12.98 and get 26mpg.

412ft/lb and 396hp.

No LSD. I don't let anyone drive it. Last time I did, my wife almost killed us. Torque Steer FTW.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
As long as the car has a LSD you remove the tq bias that you would otherwise see.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post