SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ballistol - all-rounder or potion from hell?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistol - all-rounder or potion from hell? Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ballistol is just mineral oil (baby oil) w/o the perfume and some water....I couldn’t imagine drinking it!! I’m sure it would set you free if you were backed up.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppes No. 9. All else is blasphemy. But you cant drink it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" Hoppe's No.9. All else is blasphemy."

Preach it, brother ! ! !

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, people complain about the mild smell of Ballistol and acutally prefer Hoppes #9. Must have had their brain scrambled from drinking methalated spirits. BTW, Ballistol is NOT mineral oil, the maker is quite specific that it uses a vegetable based oil. My hunch is that it may be olive oil.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
For the record, from the MSDS:

Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

And as an aside, one of the few solvents completely safe for nickel plating, which Hoppes is not. Also one of the few lubricants safe for everything other than metal that might be found on a weapon - wood, ivory, bone, leather, plastic and rubber.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short of a dedicated bore cleaner it does a pretty decent job of loosening and removing stubborn carbon deposits on the inside of pistol barrels. Requires at least a 20 minute soak but it's gotten barrels cleaner than overhyped "formulated for firearms" all in one CLPs.

The "oils from vegetal seeds" -- my guess is it's anise, given the characteristic odor.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, people complain about the mild smell of Ballistol and acutally prefer Hoppes #9. Must have had their brain scrambled from drinking methalated spirits.

Scooter123: Are you responding to me and YooperSigs ? ? ?

'cause we never said anything about the smell.

posted Hide Post
'Cause what we said was . . .

Blasphemy !

BLASPHEMY ! ! !

posted Hide Post
Wink

posted Hide Post
I have been using Hoppes # 9 for around 40 years.
I just tried Ballistol while cleaning up an old rusty .410 single shot break action shotgun that was given to me.
It cleaned up the metal and also cleaned up the wood as well.
Worked on the shotgun outside and the smell was not bad at all. I did run a patch of Hoppe's down the bore using an old .45 bore brush.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
friend suggested it to me to help control some white mold on leather and milsurp stocks in my safe (at the time, I just had the dehumidifier absorber type stuff, not a goldenrod)

didn't really work that well , the mold came back, but it was easy to clean off,

(golden rod worked, as it should when I finally installed it)

meanwhile I do give all a wipedown with it now and again,
wife usually avoids me when I do it, she cannot stand the smell

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post