SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ballistol - all-rounder or potion from hell?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistol - all-rounder or potion from hell? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Many here have heard of it and use it. Many here have heard of it and wouldn't use it if it were to be the last thing on the planet. Some soak up it's, uh, unusual odour - some might even say taste[ more of that later], and others retch at the merest hint of it at a distance of hundred of feet..

Of course, it has so many uses that there were oft-seen competitions for yet another application, if you will forgive the word, for shooting both old and new firearms, cleaning and lubricating them inside and out and preserving when after putting them away. It has been used by muzzleloaders on patched ball, and for removing the post-shooting detritus later. In similar fashion it can be found around modern firearms, too, indeed, sitting here in my little work-shed, I'm gazing fondly at a one litre can of the stuff while I write this screed.

It has been used by the original inventors - Germans, natch, since 1905 until the end of WW1 - when wholesale gun-cleaning ceased to play a major part in German lifestyle, but later came back to popularity with the resumption of the arms industry, both military and civilian. I bleeve that it has near-worldwide sales, but I could of course, be wrong there - for instance, I never saw any in Japan.

However, my little story today concerns another use for this handy concoction, one that may not have immediately occurred to you, if ever. It is said to be a 'lightning pick-me-up and invigorator of great efficaciousness/hood/ship [whatever]', and by none other a personage than my late Great Uncle Jack. John W******l not only survived the great War of 1914 -1918, but went through it mostly unharmed, except by gas. He claimed that much of his invulnerability could be set at the foot of his infamous 'pick-me-up', and please note that I have never tried it, nor would wish to under any circumstances whatsoever.

I therefore strongly advise you all to do likewise.

A little basic information before we move on to the krux of this post -

Ballistol is a portmanteau name derived from 'ballistic' and 'oil' [in German] and originated from Germany before WW1, after the German military requested an 'all-around' oil and cleaner for their rifles and equipment. The German military used it from 1905 to 1945.

The chemical is a yellowish clear liquid with a consistency expected of a light oil. However, when it comes in contact with water it emulsifies, becoming a thick creamy white substance. It has a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice/aniseed. You can instantly see the apparent if delusionary connection with alcoholic and other confectionary like Ouzo, Anise and so on. It is sold and distributed in both liquid and aerosol forms. The aerosol uses butane or propane as a propellant.

It advertises that it has no carcinogens. Some other similar chemicals contain petro-chemicals which can pollute the environment if improperly handled.

My great uncle Jack was famed for using it as a component of his notorious lightning pick-me-up after a 'bout of misery' in the trenches of WW1. The recipe goes as follows -

1. A regular-sized glass tumbler of about 1/3rd of an imperial pint is filled 2/3rd with clear methylated spirits [in the UK this usual contains a purple dye, and, if consumed in any decent amount, turns the lips a similar and unhealthy shade.]

2. Topping the glass of with California Syrup of Figs, add to that

3. A heaped spoonful of Krueschens effervescent liver salts.

4. While it fizzes away, add a few drops of Ballistol - looted from the late owners of a handy but no-longer operating Maxim gun - and drink the whole thing straight down.

I well remember him noting that, apart from suffering total decapitation, as fatal in those days as it is now, a body might well respond with nigh-on instant signs of animation withing seconds of imbibing the brew.

*Not safe for human consumption.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Well tac, as i sit here studying microbiology, pondering the events of the last two weeks in one of the contested states, if uncle Jack were here right now and offered me a snifter, I’d bite. Amazing story, I always enjoy your posts, have a great weekend my friend!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
Well tac, as i sit here studying microbiology, pondering the events of the last two weeks in one of the contested states, if uncle Jack were here right now and offered me a snifter, I’d bite. Amazing story, I always enjoy your posts, have a great weekend my friend!

You too!!! And take care in these hard times.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be another frog lube style thread. Kudos to your Uncle but I gotta pass. I do like the smell though.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
apart from suffering total decapitation, as fatal in those days as it is now, a body might well respond with nigh-on instant signs of animation within seconds of imbibing the brew.

A more convincing testimonial nary has been proffered.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Great discussion and story, tacfoley. Thanks for a literary pick-me-up on an early cold and snowy morning here. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story! I am a fan of the product and its odor.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Great story, thank you. It is an acquired taste Smile

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
methylated spirits

So, you Uncle's pick me up was to drink alcohol made toxic with the addition of Methanol? IMO that is a perfect illustration of just how difficult life in the trenches of WWI truly were.

As for Ballistol, I get a real kick out of the story of this wonderful product on the Ballistol web site. It's not only a fantastic cleaner and oil, it is also an antiseptic for wound treatment and an excellent wood and leather conditioner.

BTW, use it to clean my shotguns after a day of shooting Skeet and have actually used it to clean some leather coats that got a bit of mold from being hung in a basement closet. As for wood, I prefer to use a tiny little dab of Tung Oil but I'm certain I've had some transfer of Ballistol to my stocks and have not seen any negative effect on the finish. Not having been hit by any shrapnel or bullets I cannot comment on it's use as an antiseptic. And while it might be safe to drink I am not going to do that.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Heck, I was hoping that Ballistol was another condiment popular in the UK.

I’m already a big fan of Marmite and Branston Pickle (original).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I became a fan of the product based on no less endorsement than Hickok45 haha!

I have best equated the smell to that of...feet. Sweaty, befouled feet.

My family agrees and knows immediately when gun-cleaning has commenced in the household.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I love Ballistol, other than the occasional joy it seems to take pushing all of the air out of my lungs and making me cough like mad.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
But does the cocktail still smell like a dirty hobo’s feet after a cross country trip?

I love the stuff for all my firearm, airgun, wood and leather needs but I sure as shit won’t be drinking it. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Great story!

quote:
Krueschens effervescent liver salts

Definitely don't want to know what _that's_about! Sounds dreadful, but so was most everything else in the trenches, I imagine. Wink

Big fan of the Kaiser's chemists in this particular instance... a spray of Ballistol and a light wipe is the 'final wrap' when I'm done with the rest of the firearm cleaning.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I might be inclined to take my chances with the Maxim gun...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I might be inclined to take my chances with the Maxim gun...

Good call

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned with the thought of drinking 2/3 cup of methylated spirits than I am the ballistol! It's no wonder folks back then we're tougher than we are today...the national sport was crawling around in muddy trenches taking cannon fire and killing Germans, and they washed it all down with toxic liquids mixed with gun oil...it either made you tougher or killed you. Badass generation for sure!

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Just to let you know that here in UK you cannot actually buy a bottle of methylated spirits - favourite beverage of a certain class of person - unless it has that familiar purple tint. This is done to make it undrinkable- so they they say. Ethanol, the stuff I use to fuel up my steam locomotives [see Youtube, tac's trains Aster BR01], IS clear, but you need an industrial users' licence for it.

I have one.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If Ballistol adds pizzazz to a mixed drink, I'm gonna see if Jack Daniels will clean my cruddy
suppressor baffles. Smile

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
handy around my bench for a wide variety of uses

...and I just read in old Ruger forum a guy tried some on his pepperoni pizza with surprising satisfaction.

Thanks for the marvelous essay, tac.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post