SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling Chainsaw experts (or anyone really) How big a chainsaw do I need.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Chainsaw experts (or anyone really) How big a chainsaw do I need. Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Classic case of a tree hanging up in other trees on it's way down, not uncommon with these branchy oak trees.

Ya.... it really sucks when that happens.
I had one tree that I had to cut about 6 times before I got it loose from the other tree. Frustrating, and then you start taking stupid risks.

Huh.... now what?
Stupid tree....

Wow. Studying your picture, I see NO safe way in bringing down that branch. I would not want to be at the top of that ladder trying to cut what is remaining as it could kick back and hit the ladder nor would I recommend cutting down any of those trees supporting it as you are underneath it all. No, I would just leave it and it will be down within a year anyways. Maybe you have already dealt with it so the question is moot.

If not...leave it!! Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly I'd just rent the appropriate saw to cut down the one tree. My favorite go to saw is a Echo pole saw (I think it's 8' long, non adjustable length). I use the crap out of it for branches and trees up to 10" diameter and (it's not as fast on the 10" diameter trees as a real chainsaw) but it's a lot safer, you don't get tree dust all over yourself and it's a great tool, the thing surprises me. It's really comfortable to use as well. It handles 95% of my needs, and if I need something bigger I borrow or rent it.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Good advice here, and honestly unless you've at least worked with someone running a saw I'd consider enlisting a trusted friend for a second hand.

You don't have to give up your man card, but you might avoid any unnecessary incidents. Most folks start out with smaller saws, smaller and more straightforward jobs and working with someone with experience they learn from. I grew up with a farmer BIL and worked landscaping for years and had the benefit of folks way more experienced than me.

I'm not trying to be a pussy, and would probably dive right in. Just be very cautious. As others have said the tip is not your friend and when things go pear shaped it's usually fast. And for the LOVE do not work with your head directly over and near the bar like my idiot first neighbor!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
60cc's of sexy. This saw punches above its weight. It is light and the anti vibration system works very well.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
Dealer service is more important than brand. Pick a reputable saw from a reputable and servicing dealer and you'll be fine.

All excellent advise, but this bit bears repeating. It is kinda like choosing between Cat & John Deere - it all come down to who has the dealer that going to do a better job taking care of you.

As far as the safety chain recommendation, agree 300%. Safety chain cuts a little slower (just a little) but is much safer. Chains are consumable items - if you do much cutting at all you *will* go through them. Start with a safety chain. If you have it all figured out and want to go a teeny tiny bit faster you can always go to a more aggressive chain on the second, third, fifth, or whenever.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
My selection of chain saws is a Poulon, 50 cc engine, 20 inch bar and chain. I would get at least one extra chain. Running the chain into the dirt dulls it very quickly.

I agree with this one. Keep the chain out of the dirt at all costs. One touch and you've dulled it. It helps to touch up the sharpening now and again if you're doing heavy cutting.

A 20" bar should suffice. You can always run a shorter bar on a bigger saw, not the other way around.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Honestly I'd just rent the appropriate saw to cut down the one tree. My favorite go to saw is a Echo pole saw (I think it's 8' long, non adjustable length). I use the crap out of it for branches and trees up to 10" diameter and (it's not as fast on the 10" diameter trees as a real chainsaw) but it's a lot safer, you don't get tree dust all over yourself and it's a great tool, the thing surprises me. It's really comfortable to use as well. It handles 95% of my needs, and if I need something bigger I borrow or rent it.....

Pole saws are great. We have an Echo telescoping saw that has been a real workhorse for us. It is also the only saw I ever almost got killed with. I was uphill, cutting a long (~25'), fairly large diameter (10" +/- 1/2") coast live oak branch. I was on a slope, covered with leaf litter about 8" deep. As I got close to finishing the cut, the branch started to let go I pulled the saw clear and started to back up. Turns out this is hard to do on a slope in leaf litter, I probably only got a foot or two. Where it got exciting is the end of the branch drooped down to the ground, then it started dropping at the butt end (while I am doing my best to back up). The butt end hit the brim of my ballcap, knocking it off my head, cleared my face, brushed my chest (not hard enough to leave a mark), and landed on my foot, not doing any real damage thanks to the leaf litter. Given the mass and velocity, a full face motorcycle helmet wouldn't have saved me if I were six inches down the slope. Pole saws are really unlikely to cut you, but they do allow you to cut things that are above you and this can get exciting quickly if things don't break the way you think they will.

With an unlimited budget I'd probably never use a pole saw. A good man lift can usually put you in the right spot to cut whatever you need to cut with an 025/MS250 or similar while you are above it and in no danger of wearing it. Too bad I don't have an unlimited budget...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Wow. Studying your picture, I see NO safe way in bringing down that branch. I would not want to be at the top of that ladder trying to cut what is remaining as it could kick back and hit the ladder nor would I recommend cutting down any of those trees supporting it as you are underneath it all. No, I would just leave it and it will be down within a year anyways. Maybe you have already dealt with it so the question is moot.

Throw a chain around it. If you can safely get close enough to take a couple wraps and hook it close, great. If not, make whatever loop you can. Keep tying on chains until you a) get back to the bucket on the excavator while you b) have the excavator far enough away that you won't wear the tree when you pull it out. Pull it out with the excavator. Can do with any tractor, maybe even a truck, but the excavator is nice as you can change the direction of pull up, down, sideways easily to minimize trauma to the other trees. If you do hurt some of the other trees, that's a bummer, but much better than hurting you!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Pole saws are really unlikely to cut you, but the do allow you to cut things that are above you and this can get exciting quickly if things don't break the way you think they will.

Yup. And branches often don't break the way you think they will Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to provide a quick update. First, I really appreciate all the information. One of the best recommendations was to go to a shop that specializes in chainsaws. For me that was a Stihl dealer. He was very helpful, cut me a deal on the saw and gave really great recommendations.

Went with the 291. It is getting the job done.

Thanks again!

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.
The MS291 is an excellent choice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

Throw a chain around it. If you can safely get close enough to take a couple wraps and hook it close, great. If not, make whatever loop you can. Keep tying on chains until you a) get back to the bucket on the excavator while you b) have the excavator far enough away that you won't wear the tree when you pull it out. Pull it out with the excavator. Can do with any tractor, maybe even a truck, but the excavator is nice as you can change the direction of pull up, down, sideways easily to minimize trauma to the other trees. If you do hurt some of the other trees, that's a bummer, but much better than hurting you!

UPDATE: The tree is down. I don't have an excavator.... so I cut down the tree the branch had fallen on and was stuck on. It had so much downward pressure on it that the saw blade got stuck. ANother saw, with several more cuts and then removal of the stuck saw from the blade to get the first saw out... then the tree still wouldn't fall. That tree had to have several more cuts and we had to push and then run like hell...

Not fun, but got it done and no one got hurt. Ha ha!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
I like Husqvarna. My first lasted me 15 years and I still use it. It was the 345. My new one is the 455 but I probably fall 5 trees a year.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The MS290 I had was a great saw. The 291 is the newer version of the Farm Boss.

-rduckwor