SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High Quality Screwdrivers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Quality Screwdrivers Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I am looking to buy a few high quality screwdrivers. Not necessarily for gunsmithing, but rather for woodwork, assembly, machine repair, etc.

I figure I need a couple of phillips heads, and a couple of straight heads. I have a number of old screwdrivers, some of them very high quality, hard tool steel, but many of them are wearing out, especially the phillips heads.

I can't complain, they made it through my dads shop, and now mine, but they really don't last for ever.

Please advise what brands are good. I am not interested in removable bits, I would like these to be solid, single purpose tools.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I've got a few sets of Wiha Torx, Allen and standard/metric drivers. They are a decent price on Amazon.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Wiha-...screwdriver+set+wiha
I have snap on set but Wiha are really nice too.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s tough to beat Wiha. They’re precision made and almost indestructible.

This is the set I own: https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-53...duty+screwdriver+set

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with Pratt-Read screwdrivers.
http://www.prattread.com

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I agree with WiHa. They make some of the best hand tools in the world IMO.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Klein, Snap-On, Mac...

Pick the brand which has the most comfortable handle.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Vessel's Megadora line is excellent.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The best fixed blade screwdrivers I have ever used are PB Swiss.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Chapman manufacturing has been on this site, check them out.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the votes for Chapman and Wiha.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use Klein, perfectly happy with them. Not sure what I could possibly get more out any other screw driver.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No orange juice and vodka?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Klein. Lifetime warranty.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most drivers wear out pretty quickly. over torque, mis-align either removing or setting the screw/bolt will cause wear, no matter how careful you try to be. using the wrong size drive destroys the screw or driver rather quickly. the new replaceable, bit drivers are the way to go.

wear them out, replace them.

ymmv

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My screwdrivers, especially flat-blade ones, are as or more likely to be used as pry bars, punches or chisels as actually driving screws, but the Greenlee brand has been holding up well for me. Lowes carries them (but in the electrical department), and so does Sears.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I second Wiha, Klein, and Snap-on. I would never pay full-price for Snap-on drivers though.

If you're OK w/ translucent acetate plastic handles, then Pratt-Read, PB Swiss, Xcelite, and Stanley USA Industrial are high quality. Pratt-Read used to make many of Craftsman's drivers decades ago.

Some brands not mentioned yet that use ergo rubber handles and are on par w/ Wiha and Snap-on are Wera, Felo, and SK. As Excam_Man posted, it comes down to what kind of handles you like and how much you're willing to pay.

Phillips screws are designed to cam-out, which means if you exceed their torque limit, the driver will pop out of the screw. Because of this, most Phillips head screwdrivers are prone to wearing out.

If you need hex screwdrivers w/ ball-heads to turn at angles, then Bondhus, Allen, and PB Swiss specialize in those.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always carried Klein screwdrivers in the tool pouch.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I second Wiha, Klein, and Snap-on. I would never pay full-price for Snap-on drivers though.

If you're OK w/ translucent acetate plastic handles, then Pratt-Read, PB Swiss, Xcelite, and Stanley USA Industrial are high quality. Pratt-Read used to make many of Craftsman's drivers decades ago.

Some brands not mentioned yet that use ergo rubber handles and are on par w/ Wiha and Snap-on are Wera, Felo, and SK. As Excam_Man posted, it comes down to what kind of handles you like and how much you're willing to pay.

Phillips screws are designed to cam-out, which means if you exceed their torque limit, the driver will pop out of the screw. Because of this, most Phillips head screwdrivers are prone to wearing out.

If you need hex screwdrivers w/ ball-heads to turn at angles, then Bondhus, Allen, and PB Swiss specialize in those.

PB Swiss "SwissGrip" screwdrivers have a grippy rubberized sort of surface on the handles, unlike the older clear ones.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've had only Snap-on tools for years.

One thing to consider, manufacturers tend to make Psudo-Phillips screws. While not a true Phillips (lawyers and stuff) and not a Posidriv, what shows up mostly is a Reed and Prince style screw. Snap-on is one of the only manufacturers that make a decent assortment of R&P screwdrivers. The anti-camout-ribs on their other screwdrivers are a significant plus.

I build an assortment of prototypes and various mechanical work. Somehow my OCD kicks in when I start with the wrong tool. $^*&%#

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post