SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else like arranging related objects in parallel or 90 degree angles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else like arranging related objects in parallel or 90 degree angles? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I'm not the OCD type, but I do appreciate related objects arranged neatly at 90 degree angles.

Recently I found out this actually has a name, and it's called knolling.

Knolling is the process of arranging related objects in parallel or 90-degree angles as a method of organization.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Here's a cool one depicting soldier's evolution of gear.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/...000-years-180952442/

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Start drinking heavily now! Wink

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It must be done as the images show, or else insanity will result.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers in my tool box.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have to make a conscious effort NOT to do that when planting flowers and shrubs.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have to make a conscious effort NOT to do that when planting flowers and shrubs.

Are parallel rows bad somehow? Confused

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, keeping similar objects together makes sense, but....

Not OCD??

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
How can you find anything that way? Eek
Actually, I am organized also (or try to be).

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

In landscape design, yes.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parallel, STRAIGHT rows in farming are easier to follow with the tractor, so you don't wipe out rows of crop by mistake. Curves or esses are harder as you have to pay more attention.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
White-space and spatial relationships are important to me, visually.

Take the things on my coffee table, for instance... I don't so much care where exactly the things are on the table (say, a stack of magazines, a candle, the remotes, etc), but their relative spacing and alignment to each other and the tables edges will bug me if it's off kilter, so I catch myself fixing those sorts of things fairly regularly.

It's like OCD-lite.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One of my friends lives a fair distance from shopping, so he and his wife stock up on staples. The canned goods on the shelf in his basement are all in alphabetical order. Asparagus, beans, ...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
quote:

Ich bin ein Deutscher. Having things aligned neatly in a grid is in my genes. Preferably alphabetically and by size.

I took a University of Maine Master Gardener course and our instructor about lost her mind trying to break me of the habit.

Groupings Good. Geometric Arrangements (usually) Bad. Odd Numbers of Plants Good. Arrow-straight lines Bad.

I must say since I've made the effort to avoid regimentation in my plantings, it DOES look better.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I used to have that problem, but after years of intensive therapy and a lot of hard work, I've made great strides in overcoming it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Na... I believe in fate, it lands where it lands, and that's where it stays.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
quote:

Ich bin ein Deutscher. Having things aligned neatly in a grid is in my genes. Preferably alphabetically and by size.

I took a University of Maine Master Gardener course and our instructor about lost her mind trying to break me of the habit.

Groupings Good. Geometric Arrangements (usually) Bad. Odd Numbers of Plants Good. Arrow-straight lines Bad.

I must say since I've made the effort to avoid regimentation in my plantings, it DOES look better.

My wife and I have no artistic ability. Our landscaping plant beds would have all been set up in rows if we hadn't called in a pro.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
quote:
It must be done as the images show, or else insanity will result.

Im not OCD or crazy its the rest of you....

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Autistic children do. They like lining things up as well like their toys.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post